PDA

View Full Version : how bad did I mess up? - Follow up......

wmann
04-25-2006, 10:58 AM
Ok, first I would like to thank all of you who provided helpful information or kind words... I truly appreciate it.....:)

As for the some of the others....well thanks for pointing out my error without being to cruel.;)

As for the one other person, and I am sure we all know who I am speaking about, I am sure that you will get what you have coming in the end...:D

As for the car, I just heard from the shop, I needed a new water pump, and both serpentine belts. All to the tine of 600.00. I guess it could have been much worse....

Is there anything else that I should have replaced at while its at the shop?

And is there any thing I should be watching out for?

Is there anything that I should keep and eye on over the next mo. or so?

I had planned to have a little paint work done at the start of june. Any recomendations as to delaying or if it runs ok should I count my lucky stars and go forward?

Thanks again to most!

Bill Mann

yaofeng
04-25-2006, 11:10 AM
Maybe I should have made my living repairing cars. There is good money to be made. Water pump, $60? Two belts $20 each? Coolant $15? Done in about 45 minutes for $600?

They have you by the b$lls.

joshua43214
04-25-2006, 11:30 AM
Its a good idea to replace the T-stat any time its been overheated. they will have it out anyway.

also;
waterpump 135.00
2 belts 60.00
coolant 40.00

that leaves 365.00 for labor, which is 4-6 hours depending on the shop. I think the job pays about 2.0 hours, experienced tech can do a proper job in about 1 hour. many aftermarket shops double OE book time. Price sounds like its onthe high end, but not scary high.

mikell
04-25-2006, 11:32 AM
Glad it came out okay. I assume the tech looked over the whole engine room for funky looking hoses, etc., and that all passed inspection. You're good to go, I'd say.

Evan
04-25-2006, 11:39 AM
do you know how to wrench? $600 is anal rape

Tiger
04-25-2006, 11:54 AM
45 minutes on this engine?! Ha! Let's see if you can keep up this rate all day long... doubt it.

632 Regal
04-25-2006, 12:17 PM
Glad it worked out Bill, do you do any of your own wrenching?

What I would suggest if you dont know or have it documented, all of the hoses are to be replaced periodicly too. This is the waterpump, thermostat, belts and all hoses.

Do you have the service I and II procedure? Changing out the power steering fluid, brake fluid and differential are also in the list of things preventative.

The transmission should get a fresh filter and add the amount that comes out with it (no flushing) and use the proper fluid which should be a debate any week now. This according to Kurt should be done every 30k miles.

since your waterpump took a **** I would guess that the procedures werent followed leading to your failure. I feel the next most important item would be ALL the hoses, this can be done in a couple hours...the small octopus hose behind the intake manifold is kinda challanging but very doable. Mine was very much corroded where it connected to the block and took a while to properly clean.

wmann
04-25-2006, 12:28 PM
I had an inspection (II I think) done last fall. I didn't pick up the car yet so I don't have an itemized bill to review.

I really don't understand whats the deal with the waterpump, the shop said that it must have been making noise for a while to seize like it did.

I am not really mechanicly inclined, but I do take care of my cars, correct service, oil changes, etc. I also have heard a water pump going before years ago, not in a bmw, but I am sure that there was no odd noises coming from the engine bay before the failure in my car.

I am hoping that there really is no unseen damage, and that I will have years of enjoyment left in the car.

I guess that I need a manual and a set of tools huh? Is this price way out of line?

Any other suggestions as to what I should keep an eye out for?

In the future I will be sure to stop right way, I did get that much out of this...

Bill Mann

GoldenOne
04-25-2006, 12:32 PM
well looks like you dodged a bullet...if im not mistaken, the OE waterpump has a plastic part (the name escapes me at the moment) that can crack sometime later on down the road, may want to see if you can get the metal version of it, maybe someone can name this piece???

E34-520iSE
04-25-2006, 12:43 PM
impellor?

Gayle
04-25-2006, 12:50 PM
I guess that I need a manual and a set of tools huh?

Any other suggestions as to what I should keep an eye out for.

Bill Mann

The Bentley manual is the Bible for e34s. None of the other manuals are as good. It has turned a lot of non mechanics into mechanics.

Newbie tool suggestions (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=13855)

Here is what should have been done at inspection II. They basically go over every inch of your car.

Inspection I & II (http://www.bimmerzone.com/inspection.htm)

And finally--this should explain the mysteries of the cooling system. The whole system is one of the most trouble prone on the e34. You can expect further issues with it in the not too distant future--it is just normal for these cars.

Overheating section from Bruno's website (http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/overheating.htm)

Gayle
04-25-2006, 12:55 PM
well looks like you dodged a bullet...if im not mistaken, the OE waterpump has a plastic part (the name escapes me at the moment) that can crack sometime later on down the road, may want to see if you can get the metal version of it, maybe someone can name this piece???

A chance to repost the thread with my all time favorite title.

Whats this!?! A plastic impellor? (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=10814&pp=10)

Tiger
04-25-2006, 01:35 PM
V8 never had plastic impeller... NEVER!

yaofeng
04-25-2006, 01:57 PM
45 minutes on this engine?! Ha! Let's see if you can keep up this rate all day long... doubt it.

Not on the engine. Why mess with the engine? You are replacing the water pump.

Bill R.
04-25-2006, 02:17 PM
job so depending on what your shop charges plus parts Im not sure if 600 is way out of line. The hepu water pump for your car from bma is 107 plus around 24 a gallon now for bmw coolant, figure 40 for the belts and 20 for a thermostat and another 10 or so for misc orings and seals and sealant, I'd figure about 225 for the parts and 240 for the labor allowing 4 hours at 60 an hour...

Ok, first I would like to thank all of you who provided helpful information or kind words... I truly appreciate it.....:)

As for the some of the others....well thanks for pointing out my error without being to cruel.;)

As for the one other person, and I am sure we all know who I am speaking about, I am sure that you will get what you have coming in the end...:D

As for the car, I just heard from the shop, I needed a new water pump, and both serpentine belts. All to the tine of 600.00. I guess it could have been much worse....

Is there anything else that I should have replaced at while its at the shop?

And is there any thing I should be watching out for?

Is there anything that I should keep and eye on over the next mo. or so?

I had planned to have a little paint work done at the start of june. Any recomendations as to delaying or if it runs ok should I count my lucky stars and go forward?

Thanks again to most!

Bill Mann

yaofeng
04-25-2006, 02:51 PM
I had an inspection (II I think) done last fall. I didn't pick up the car yet so I don't have an itemized bill to review.

I really don't understand whats the deal with the waterpump, the shop said that it must have been making noise for a while to seize like it did.

I am not really mechanicly inclined, but I do take care of my cars, correct service, oil changes, etc. I also have heard a water pump going before years ago, not in a bmw, but I am sure that there was no odd noises coming from the engine bay before the failure in my car.

I am hoping that there really is no unseen damage, and that I will have years of enjoyment left in the car.

I guess that I need a manual and a set of tools huh? Is this price way out of line?

Any other suggestions as to what I should keep an eye out for?

In the future I will be sure to stop right way, I did get that much out of this...

Bill Mann

Don't try to be something you are not. You may be talented in areas other than turning the wrenches you can exploit and afford to pay a wrench turning monkey $600 for a job such as this several times over and not even blink an eye.

632 Regal
04-25-2006, 04:14 PM
It's not out of line if you can afford that. Id rather pay but cant afford plus dont trust many people with my car. I have done my own wrenching since the late 70's and can save money. Many non mechanical people have started ding it them selves simply because of shotty work, dealer seems to be the worst when it comes to a quality job.

Read my above post for what to do/look out for in the future so you dont have more problems.

job so depending on what your shop charges plus parts Im not sure if 600 is way out of line. The hepu water pump for your car from bma is 107 plus around 24 a gallon now for bmw coolant, figure 40 for the belts and 20 for a thermostat and another 10 or so for misc orings and seals and sealant, I'd figure about 225 for the parts and 240 for the labor allowing 4 hours at 60 an hour...

Evan
04-25-2006, 05:04 PM
Bill R., you make an excellent point, as usual. By my calculations, it's a one to two hour job plus $200 in parts.

I have to say this:

Any professional who completes a project on time and on budget is worth her/his weight in gold.

I stand by my earlier statement... $600 for a $400 job is too much... but to each his own.

Bill R.
04-25-2006, 05:18 PM
35 an hour but then i'm not your typical shop... my overhead is much less:)

Bill R., you make an excellent point, as usual. By my calculations, it's a one to two hour job plus $200 in parts.

I have to say this:

Any professional who completes a project on time and on budget is worth her/his weight in gold.

I stand by my earlier statement... $600 for a $400 job is too much... but to each his own.

Elekta
04-25-2006, 05:25 PM
Might as well throw a new fan clutch on there. Give it a spin and feel for resistance. Make sure pulleys aren't shot, creaky, wobbly etc. Lower rubber hose to radiator, check that. What else is in front that will be easy to get at while it's open?

Glad you came out alright.

Hey, I can barely wrench at all, and have paid tons to my indy with confidence of their work. I finally got my bentley after two years. Mostly I just am learning how everything works for diagnostic purposes.

When I pick up a black interior M5 with a dinged up body but a well worked motor and suspension, I will make an M5 sleeper tourer. Then I will wade into the wrenching abyss. I will also have garage space, and my 4 year old hopefully will get me tools instead of lose them like he's doing now.

cheers,

SharkmanBMW
04-25-2006, 06:10 PM

$35 / hour is almost FREE compared to what I pay my guru!
From my standpoint, you could be charging way more for your knowledge!

E34 530
04-25-2006, 06:18 PM

Wow, where do you live ;) .

Evan
04-25-2006, 07:41 PM
Where is your shop... I'm driving down to meet you.

Evan
04-25-2006, 07:47 PM
are you looking for the painted steel thingamajig.. i may have one for you... i'll know next week.

Paul in NZ
04-25-2006, 11:19 PM
you guys who do your own work is fine and dandy...but you dont need to tell us (that dont)that we are stupid,ignorant,or otherwise mentally retarded for taking the car to a mechanic,a good mechanic IS worth his weight in gold,there are enough stories around here to prove it.

genphreak
04-26-2006, 01:58 AM
you guys who do your own work is fine and dandy...but you dont need to tell us (that dont)that we are stupid,ignorant,or otherwise mentally retarded for taking the car to a mechanic,a good mechanic IS worth his weight in gold,there are enough stories around here to prove it.Too right Paul, plenty of work I would rather avoid- basic examples are things like swapping tyres on rims. Can't balance them myself anyway. I must say tho, I hate paying for a wheel alingment when all they do is twiddle the tie-rods watching the screen. Bah! not fair that... other people have 5 adjustments- why do we only have 2? <cries> :) Nick

Must say I will be sure to be there when they swap my tyres around on Friday... :) nick