PDA

View Full Version : Jon K's touch screen computer

jjdickm
04-24-2006, 03:55 PM
I was looking through the car show area and stumbled into the section where you have pictures of the lcd screen in your dash. I was considering something similar. I was curious if you built the computer yourself and what kind of os you are running also do you have more pictures of that project and the final project? what brand is the lcd screen? I have always envyed the newer m5's with the in dash lcd im hoping I can can put one in myself. also im building a turbocharged m30 and im hopeing to run a mega squirt ecu also I was wondering how that was working out. do you assemble those professionally or is it more of a DIY thing. I have done sodering on r/c cars and some circuit boards. I am hoing to do it myself. if you do assemble those how much do you charge i really don't want to mess it up.

Jon K
04-24-2006, 05:50 PM
Tons of details about the computer can be found on this site - search around. I built it myself running winxp with custom front end.

I built my own MS and haven't built one for anyone else, but I'd build you one. It takes about 6 - 8 hrs. ~$150

jjdickm
04-24-2006, 06:53 PM
how much is it for a decent kit with the simulator and harness?

Jon K
04-24-2006, 06:55 PM
what???

jjdickm
04-24-2006, 07:11 PM
sorry I was asking you how much you paid for the setup?

jjdickm
just the ms stuff

misfortune
Tons of details about the computer can be found on this site - search around. I built it myself running winxp with custom front end.

I built my own MS and haven't built one for anyone else, but I'd build you one. It takes about 6 - 8 hrs. ~$150
Thats a killer price man.

1995 525i
04-25-2006, 09:08 AM

Jon, you never fail to impress me with how much damn stuff you know and how little I know. Anyway, thought I'd share that couple of cents.

Michael

Jon K
04-25-2006, 11:10 AM
Haha thanks.

jjdickm
04-25-2006, 01:45 PM
I think I want to go with the V3 board. I should be able to do this soon let me know how you want to do it. Im not sure exactly what I need that why I was asking you how much yours cost. do you need extra caps or does everything you need come with it? does the v3 have a simulator?

Jon K
04-25-2006, 05:35 PM
You can buy a "stimulator" seperate of the MS - I encourage people to buy one as it will let them test their MS without running the car off it initially. I think I'd charge about $120 - $150 to build teh whole thing.

What motor are you going to use it on?

jjdickm
04-25-2006, 06:58 PM
I am building a m30 out of a 1984 745i I just bought new forged pistons which will give me 9:1 compression ratio I am keeping the head stock for now I am also adding 46lb injectors and im currently starting to price out the stock to make my exhaust manifold and full exhaust. I will definitly wan't to buy the simulator as well. I think I should be able to do this next week where should I order it from? should I go directly through megasuirt, or do you want me to send you money and have you order it so it will be shipped to your house?

Jon K
04-25-2006, 07:25 PM
I am building a m30 out of a 1984 745i I just bought new forged pistons which will give me 9:1 compression ratio I am keeping the head stock for now I am also adding 46lb injectors and im currently starting to price out the stock to make my exhaust manifold and full exhaust. I will definitly wan't to buy the simulator as well. I think I should be able to do this next week where should I order it from? should I go directly through megasuirt, or do you want me to send you money and have you order it so it will be shipped to your house?

What kind of time frame would you want it built in? If no rush, you can send me the money and I'll build you the MS-I V3 ready for a M30 (single coil output for spark) flashed with the latest 029q firmware and mailed to you. It takes a while, and next couple weeks I am finishing classes and have finals - but if you have no issue hanging in there then definitely.

jjdickm
04-26-2006, 01:50 PM
What kind of time frame would you want it built in? If no rush, you can send me the money and I'll build you the MS-I V3 ready for a M30 (single coil output for spark) flashed with the latest 029q firmware and mailed to you. It takes a while, and next couple weeks I am finishing classes and have finals - but if you have no issue hanging in there then definitely.The engine isn't built yet I too am going through school and finals and work and whatever else so im not in a rush. I can probably send money next week and you can wait till after finals. just order whats needed next week and build later. does the place you go through also make a wiring harness that plugs into the ms? let me know how much it will cost including labor and shipping.

Jon K
04-26-2006, 01:52 PM
Alright - let me know what you want to control. Just fuel? Fuel and spark?

jjdickm
04-26-2006, 01:53 PM
I want to control both.

jjdickm
04-27-2006, 11:50 AM
does the the v3 replace the need of a ignition control like a msd or is it recomended to go with the 2.2 board and get an msd as well.

Jon K
04-27-2006, 12:37 PM
V3 has a built in coil driver - it will drive your stock coil.

jjdickm
04-27-2006, 01:55 PM
then thats the one I want to go with. do you want me to contact you next week when I have the money together? also were you able to price it out parts and labor?

Jon K
04-27-2006, 01:59 PM
Do you have instant messenger? I'd like to get the negotiation off the forum. IM me at 'boostd525' on AIM.

jjdickm
04-28-2006, 04:36 PM
do you know if the bmw rearend and transmission will hold up with allot of hp?

Jon K
04-28-2006, 07:49 PM
You'll have no issue with the 535 rear end holding hp