PDA

View Full Version : I need some help - how bad did I mess up?

wmann
04-24-2006, 12:42 PM
Ok, Heres the deal....I bought the 540 of my dreams last winter and have put about 8K on the car. Its a 1995 540i 6sp with 70K on it now.

I was taking my kids to daycare this morning when I heard a loud pop from the front end and a bit of a shudder. At that time the battery light and the parking brake light came on and I lost power steering. Shortly there after I saw the temp gauge creep toward the red. I put on the heater full blast and it started to go down to about 3/4. I realize that I should have stopped, but w/ a 4 mo. infant I decided to watch it for the 1-2 miles I would take to get to the shop. Shortly before getting to the shop I got a coolent warning, and once I got to the shop, I watched as the coolent rushed out in a puddle and I had some steaming.

I thought that with the temp out of the red I would be ok to limp in, but now I am not sure.

The shop told me that the water pumped is seized and the serp. belt came off. They ordered the water pump and belt, but they will not show up until the AM.

At this point I am worried sick that I have really messed the motor up.

Does anyone have an idea what the odds are that I have baked the head gaskets or done some other type of real damage? I am not really mechanicly inclined, I did know enough not ro run it in the red, but I didn't realize that the temp gauge going down might not have been accurate.

Please don't beat up on me too bad, I feel bad enought as it is......but if you could let me know what the prospect might be I would appreciate it...:(

Bill Mann

JD525IA
04-24-2006, 12:58 PM
Shortly there after I saw the temp gauge creep toward the red. I put on the heater full blast and it started to go down to about 3/4. I realize that I should have stopped, but w/ a 4 mo. infant I decided to watch it for the 1-2 miles I would take to get to the shop. Shortly before getting to the shop I got a coolent warning, and once I got to the shop, I watched as the coolent rushed out in a puddle and I had some steaming.---------

Time to start shopping.

Paul in NZ
04-24-2006, 12:58 PM
Bill if it didnt go into the red i would say that you will be ok.I am sure that most of us will understand why you took the risk to get to the shop.I would probably have done the same.I once drove to the dealer and back with a split hose with the cap off the radiator.

yaofeng
04-24-2006, 01:01 PM
Anything out of me would be speculation. Your serpentine belt went. You should have stopped then when you lost power steering. No one would need to speculate now.

Let the shop put the water pump back, install the s-belt and fill coolant. You may be lucky this time.

dacoyote
04-24-2006, 01:01 PM
I managed to limp mine about 15 miles.... without blowing a gasket.. just being carefull with it...

pingu
04-24-2006, 01:09 PM
I think you'll be OK...

I had something like this 6 weeks ago - on my water pump the shaft sheared inside the pump, with the result that the water pump pulley became loose (wobbled from side to side). The loosening threw off the serpentine belt.

First thing I knew was the dashboard lighting up like Apollo 13 - no power steering, or battery charging. I too had just a couple of miles to get back home. Then I lost the brake boost (I guess the brake "bomb" was flat). Finally the temperature light came on + gauge was in the red just as I got home!

I had the water pump and belt changed (+ thermostat while at it) and no problems so far (done a few hundred miles) so fingers crossed you'll be Ok too...

Evan
04-24-2006, 01:19 PM
You made the right decision. Don't worry for no reason though... let them fix it and give it a thorough inspection... you'll probably be fine.

KenB
04-24-2006, 01:29 PM
I did the same thing you did when my water pump died, it tossed the belt, had all the same symptoms. I limped about 5 miles watching guage, never went to red but got real close...replaced pump and everything was fine. You should be OK.

Tiger
04-24-2006, 01:38 PM
Temperature sensor is located on the engine... not on the radiator. So as long the engine never redlined I think you will be okay too. It would look horrific in the end, but I think everything will be alright.

mikell
04-24-2006, 01:38 PM
In the olden days, they used to say that if the engine didn't lose power, you'll be okay. I hope that still applies. I suffered a catastrophic loss of coolant about 18 months ago, gauge went all the way into the red, but got it stopped within about a minute and a half - car is still running strong. Hope you are as lucky. Good luck.

wmann
04-24-2006, 01:39 PM
thanks for the input.....I can't believe this.....

cschollum
04-24-2006, 01:42 PM
Ok, Heres the deal....I bought the 540 of my dreams last winter and have put about 8K on the car. Its a 1995 540i 6sp with 70K on it now.

I was taking my kids to daycare this morning when I heard a loud pop from the front end and a bit of a shudder. At that time the battery light and the parking brake light came on and I lost power steering. Shortly there after I saw the temp gauge creep toward the red. I put on the heater full blast and it started to go down to about 3/4. I realize that I should have stopped, but w/ a 4 mo. infant I decided to watch it for the 1-2 miles I would take to get to the shop. Shortly before getting to the shop I got a coolent warning, and once I got to the shop, I watched as the coolent rushed out in a puddle and I had some steaming.

I thought that with the temp out of the red I would be ok to limp in, but now I am not sure.

The shop told me that the water pumped is seized and the serp. belt came off. They ordered the water pump and belt, but they will not show up until the AM.

At this point I am worried sick that I have really messed the motor up.

Does anyone have an idea what the odds are that I have baked the head gaskets or done some other type of real damage? I am not really mechanicly inclined, I did know enough not ro run it in the red, but I didn't realize that the temp gauge going down might not have been accurate.

Please don't beat up on me too bad, I feel bad enought as it is......but if you could let me know what the prospect might be I would appreciate it...:(

Bill Mann

you f*** the car up, then post your stupidity on here and say dont beat me up too bad...what idiot doesnt stop their car and see whats wrong immediatly you hear a large bang from the engine bay...and lost power steering...

sorry but just pains me to hear of people like you

Ross
04-24-2006, 01:43 PM
I'll wager anyone out there a stale donut that the motor is ok.

wmann
04-24-2006, 01:46 PM
Thanks for being compassionate.....I didn't f*** the car up, I had a mechanical failure and I did what I felt was prudent based on what I knew or thought. In any case I was hoping to hear some news that would reduce my worries so I might sleep a bit better tonight.

I don't know what will be the result for the car, but I will sleep better tonight knowing that I am not a sad, unhappy, pissy person such as you.....

SchnellE34
04-24-2006, 01:48 PM
The water pump failure on these cars is a very common issue. The plastic fins inside deteriorate over time. I ran mine several miles nearly overheated and just replaced the pump and t-stat and everything was fine. For as often as the pumps go I rarely hear of any engine damage.

Paul in NZ
04-24-2006, 01:48 PM
I will wager that any chance that someone was going to contribute to the cschollum web site appeal is now gone

632 Regal
04-24-2006, 02:02 PM
He was a ****ing ******* before and he's showing himself again. I wouldnt help him if his life depended on it.

Your car is going to be fine, could have beel a lot worse.

I will wager that any chance that someone was going to contribute to the cschollum web site appeal is now gone

uscharalph
04-24-2006, 03:15 PM
I'll bet it's OK. You may need a need radiator cap though.

E34 530
04-24-2006, 03:17 PM
I'll bet it's OK. You may need a need radiator cap though.
where the hell have you been ;) ??

yaofeng
04-24-2006, 03:25 PM

Bill Mann

If there is one thing good which comes out of this, it shows your determination. If the car keeps moving, you'll keep driving until you reach your destination. Not everyone has that kind of determination.

cschollum
04-24-2006, 03:29 PM
Thanks for being compassionate.....I didn't f*** the car up, I had a mechanical failure and I did what I felt was prudent based on what I knew or thought. In any case I was hoping to hear some news that would reduce my worries so I might sleep a bit better tonight.

I don't know what will be the result for the car, but I will sleep better tonight knowing that I am not a sad, unhappy, pissy person such as you.....

yes you did f*** the car up, you continued to drive it after a failure which damaged it further

Incantation
04-24-2006, 03:30 PM
don't be a fuken dick, not everyone is mechanically inclined.

Incantation
04-24-2006, 03:33 PM
ur probably ok, but next time i would pull over right away

cschollum
04-24-2006, 03:34 PM
just take a moment to get of your high horse, all im saying is that if you heard a loud bang under the hood of your car, and lost power steering, what would MOST E34 drivers, or any other drive do for that matter?
they would stop and have a look or stop the car and get someone else to look at it, at the very least you would stop the car when you noticed the temp guage getting hotter and hotter after the bang...

dacoyote
04-24-2006, 03:40 PM
you f*** the car up, then post your stupidity on here and say dont beat me up too bad...what idiot doesnt stop their car and see whats wrong immediatly you hear a large bang from the engine bay...and lost power steering...

Wow... you are a dick... or channelling ukm5... maybe both...

E34 530
04-24-2006, 03:41 PM
Wow dude, you need to chill out. He made a mistake and realized what he did was wrong. I wouldn't make a common practice out of it, but I believe the car is fine. No need to get the Abercrombie panties all in a bunch.

yaofeng
04-24-2006, 03:43 PM
just take a moment to get of your high horse, all im saying is that if you heard a loud bang under the hood of your car, and lost power steering, what would MOST E34 drivers, or any other drive do for that matter?
they would stop and have a look or stop the car and get someone else to look at it, at the very least you would stop the car when you noticed the temp guage getting hotter and hotter after the bang...

Don't be so harsh. You learn and live, or live and learn. Have you not ever in your life made some stupid mistakes? Be honest now.

Blitzkrieg Bob
ala UKM

dacoyote

Dude.... no one likes you.... stop while you still have friends.. maybe...

632 Regal
04-24-2006, 03:44 PM
he will eventually sober up and we can continue to ignore him.
Wow... you are a dick... or channelling ukm5... maybe both...

cschollum
sure i make mistakes, but then i dont go advertising my stupidity on a website

dacoyote
ala UKM

I do hearby resign my post as being the "nice guy" :-)

cschollum
04-24-2006, 03:45 PM
Dude.... no one likes you.... stop while you still have friends.. maybe...
im not here to make friends, anyone making friends on the internet is very sad indeed, im here to offer advise, either take it or leave it

dacoyote
04-24-2006, 03:45 PM

Good for you.... so you don't tell people what stupid mistakes you have made so they can avoid them... way to give back to the people....

dacoyote
04-24-2006, 03:46 PM
im not here to make friends, anyone making friends on the internet is very sad indeed, im here to offer advise, either take it or leave it

LOL.... if you really believe that then you live a sad life...

E34 530
04-24-2006, 03:46 PM

He didn't advertise his mistake, he asked a question referring to the problem he encountered. Stop being such a douchewagon about it.

dacoyote
04-24-2006, 03:50 PM
..... douchewagon ....

I like that more then douchebag

DaveVoorhis
04-24-2006, 03:50 PM

Actually, in this thread you've done both.

dacoyote
04-24-2006, 03:51 PM
Actually, in this thread you've done both.

/me claps.....

E34 530
04-24-2006, 03:51 PM
I like that more then douchebag

lol thanks.

cschollum
04-24-2006, 03:52 PM
i couldnt give a toss what you think

dacoyote
04-24-2006, 03:52 PM
lol thanks.

n/p

dacoyote
04-24-2006, 03:54 PM

You posted a response so you do care.....

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-24-2006, 03:58 PM
I love it!

Gotta add this to my vocabulary

dacoyote
04-24-2006, 03:58 PM
I love it!

Gotta add this to my vocabulary

I think it needs it's own thread......

E34 530
04-24-2006, 04:00 PM
Alright Monty Python...

dacoyote
04-24-2006, 04:02 PM
I think it needs it's own thread......

And now it does... at least till Ed deletes it...

Incantation
04-24-2006, 05:01 PM
high horse? ur making reference to "stupidity" and mentioning an "idiot" etc

read your post again before you come up with that high horse garbage

KenB
04-24-2006, 05:39 PM

...he mumbles whilst playing a "rusty trombone".:D

genphreak
04-24-2006, 06:08 PM
Same thing happened to me- well not exactly- on mine the alt/waterpump belt broke. My ABS+battery light came on, lights went dim. I still had power steer as mine has a separate belt for it and another for the a/c. The belt expired gradually and made no noise in the process.

Had my gf and her mum in the car and it was midnight. Kinda bad to have it fail as working on it all the time makes me let's say 'a bit less popular' around here.

Anyway once i realised (low battery and heat rising a little from its usual 12 o'clock) I pulled into the next service station and parked/shut down. We promptly took a cab home and I came back with their neighbour, tools and spare belt (wrong type but good enough to get me home). I wasn't prepared to risk that new head gasket or have the car die in a bad place. They can be painful and costly stuff.

Head gaskets can be fragile on long engines at this age so I would advise anyone reading this with a 10 yo (or greater) motor- esp. a six, to stress it by doing something like this. Dunno how much overheating the V*s can take.

One can be lucky, and I'd say you were, but one may not be also. On a 540 I wouldn't do it due to the risk of what could have gone wrong under there- and the costs are exponentially more too. However if it is cruisey driving; not much uphill or stop/start, one might not be so paranoid as I tend to act.

Either way, from the sounds of things nothing bad happened and you did just fine. Good luck- a new belt, waterpump perhaps and coolant flush should be all that's required... :) nick

genphreak
04-24-2006, 06:25 PM
ur probably ok, but next time i would pull over right awayExactly, pulling over is best and a check is vital to make sure the car can drive carefully and safely.

However commenting on the rest of this thread- I doubt a 540 would damage a head gasket without pushing the needle into the red. If that didn't happen I have no doubt you will be fine. From what you say it did get into the red when you reached your destination; the expellation a litre of coolant after the motor shut down is natural. It merely represents a litre of steam generated in the heads as the as heat is no longer being moved by the oil pumping through the heads or the coolant which (though not physically flowing much) would have been moving some heat (mostly through convection) to the radiator ever since the belt went. Your fans would have still got rid if this heat (as well as blowing the outside of the engine which would help to stop the heat from rising too rapidly (tho they would have been fighting a battle they were doomed to lose).

On shutdown the coolant in the heads will boil as the radiator stops cooling and sinking the heat from the hoses- and the oil stops flushing heat into the sump, so if your boil happens only at the end you are definately OK.

Don't worry about what that schoumbag dude says, he is a dark horse around here, plus the experience of the other commentators is far greater. Sleep well, it will not be bad thing at all (all expletives deleted) :) Nick

Gayle
04-24-2006, 07:03 PM
Problems run in cycles here. We are in "wreck season" currently.

I was just thinking that "overheating" season should be starting soon. You have just opened the new season.

My 535 overheated the second day I owned it. The only reason I didn't do something stupid was that I had previously participated in stupid overheating acts with my husband's prior 525. Most of us have "been there--done that".

If you would like a little sampling of others overheating woes, just do a search on "overheat" or "waterpump" or "cooling". Most e34s live to drive another day. Sometimes you just have to throw money at it or have a learning experience that will improve your mechanical skills. If you love the car, it is totally worth it.

632 Regal
04-24-2006, 07:04 PM
the funny thing is, last time he was an ass he deleted them all so he looked innocent, now no one can delete their posts so his will live in infamy...
you ****ed the car up, then post your stupidity on here and say dont beat me up too bad...what idiot doesnt stop their car and see whats wrong immediatly you hear a large bang from the engine bay...and lost power steering...

Ross
04-24-2006, 08:07 PM
Oh, yes you do!

632 Regal
04-24-2006, 08:11 PM
ahhhh, now you see patterns huh? lol....told you. next to the overheat will be the shimmy issue with summer tires, then suspension 101, a few fuel issues, a ton of seat twist and window problems....
Problems run in cycles here. We are in "wreck season" currently.

I was just thinking that "overheating" season should be starting soon. You have just opened the new season.

My 535 overheated the second day I owned it. The only reason I didn't do something stupid was that I had previously participated in stupid overheating acts with my husband's prior 525. Most of us have "been there--done that".

If you would like a little sampling of others overheating woes, just do a search on "overheat" or "waterpump" or "cooling". Most e34s live to drive another day. Sometimes you just have to throw money at it or have a learning experience that will improve your mechanical skills. If you love the car, it is totally worth it.

Gayle
04-24-2006, 08:18 PM
Exactly. And there is detailing season and pothole damage season and so many others that we all know and love. Been here a year now so I have been through the whole cycle once now. Is wreck season a normal part of the cycle?

BTW--I deleted two of my posts from the death threat thread yesterday. Was surprised it didn't leave a notification of deleting. Ya just never know how things are going to work with this board--some days you can do things and other days you can't.

632 Regal
04-24-2006, 09:52 PM
You can delete your posts again??? Time for me to do some overtime...after a test of course first. There is NO wreck season, as a matter of fact that topic is banned, no one is allowed to trash their ride except Cscrotum who is obligated as long as he dont hurt anyone.

Im sure i missed some cycles but you wont read much about code 1222 or O2 sensors this time of the year. More with what I mentioned and Stereo Q's.

Exactly. And there is detailing season and pothole damage season and so many others that we all know and love. Been here a year now so I have been through the whole cycle once now. Is wreck season a normal part of the cycle?

BTW--I deleted two of my posts from the death threat thread yesterday. Was surprised it didn't leave a notification of deleting. Ya just never know how things are going to work with this board--some days you can do things and other days you can't.

sKilled
04-25-2006, 01:36 AM
Honestly, with a 4 month kiddo in the back, I would have done the same. No need to aggrevate the situation by having a little poop bag screaming. Smooth move with the heater - wouldn't have thought of that. I think you did it right, and hope that all is well.

onewhippedpuppy
04-25-2006, 02:58 AM
You'll be fine, don't sweat it.

Me, I'm looking forward to M60 PCV and intake gasket season. I love how the first rough idle gets cries of NIKASIL, NIKASIL!!!

Elekta
04-25-2006, 03:05 AM
Honestly, with a 4 month kiddo in the back, I would have done the same. No need to aggrevate the situation by having a little poop bag screaming. Smooth move with the heater - wouldn't have thought of that. I think you did it right, and hope that all is well.

I would agree with this reasoning given the kiddo sitcho, but only for overheating.

Since you have the v8, at some point in time your power steering hose may hit your alternator (especially if some indy replaces the hoses and doesn't secure them tightly) If that happens and you short your alternator, your battery will melt and/or blow up, and you could have an engine fire from your burning melting hot lead from your battery to your alternator....this happened to me on my 3.0v8 so I can only advise you in this instance....(but without my kids thankfully) I am not the only one this has happened to.

Pull over, pop the hood release, take your kid out of the car in the carseat, lift the hood and look for flames, then if none, then you can pop up the back seat and check the battery cable...for fire.

Ever since that happened to me, I have kept a smallish extinguisher in the car under the seat.

Basically under load (my case a hard accel to the right when the light turned green), the power steering hose jumps a little, and you know there aint a lot of room under the hood. If those hoses aren't tight enough, they can jump right into a lead on your alternator...it's a very scary, smoky, stinky emergency. The car dies, you lose all power, but the battery lead keeps right on torching that red lead....smoke under the hood and under the back seat.

fyi and your kiddo.

best,
geoff

mikell
04-25-2006, 05:12 AM
And an Oil Change

SharkmanBMW
04-25-2006, 08:43 AM

Dude, cscrotum is always a bitch like that, ignore him, we all do.

He cries all the time, then disappears for awhile, but always comes back bitching again.

JAlfredPrufrock
04-25-2006, 08:46 AM
OP, you'll be fine, I wouldn't worry about it a bit.

Anyone who says you messed your car up any more is just being a douche or a dramaqueen.

GoldenOne
04-25-2006, 09:09 AM
any updates wmann?

New Owner 95 E34
08-19-2006, 06:46 PM
... with the "sober up" comment! We alcoholics have no affiliation with this guy! We're trying to clean up our collective reputation! :p

he will eventually sober up and we can continue to ignore him.

632 Regal
08-19-2006, 06:59 PM
one beer to the wind doesnt count as an alcoholic, we that can control ourselves over many many drinks may be alcoholics.
... with the "sober up" comment! We alcoholics have no affiliation with this guy! We're trying to clean up our collective reputation! :p

Airborne001
08-20-2006, 07:35 AM
First thing I knew was the dashboard lighting up like Apollo 13

LOL