PDA

View Full Version : New Engine M30

grave77
04-24-2006, 10:32 AM
Hi all, I just got my car with a new engine, the old one was really old moreover it seems to have a crack that makes it a waste of time saving it.
the new engine is a 91 model latest M30 and maybe the last. it's really clean and it runs silently. the thing that bothers me that it lacks power. the old engine had way better performance with average compression around 8lbs. I still didn't check the new engines compression and I have 7 other days to test it before the warranty is over.

any idea what's going on? would it be valve adj. or bad injectors? I need quick advice before I decide on keeping this engine.

P.S. this is a second hand engine from a trashed car imported from Japan.

Dan-ny-m398
04-24-2006, 10:39 AM
I can relate to that problem , my 1991 535i feels weaker than my 1989 535i, I don't know why, plus I have a ticking problem that I can't figure out what it is.

cschollum
04-24-2006, 10:42 AM
I can relate to that problem , my 1991 535i feels weaker than my 1989 535i, I don't know why, plus I have a ticking problem that I can't figure out what it is.

a problem i had was a hole in the exhaust gasket, made a very annoying ticking sound

Dan-ny-m398
04-24-2006, 10:54 AM
a problem i had was a hole in the exhaust gasket, made a very annoying ticking sound

THat could be my problem too, since I adjusted the valves about 4 times, changed all the excentrics, switched to fully sintetic oil and the ticking is still there.

athflying79
04-24-2006, 11:40 AM
The injectors can tick quite a bit as well, especially if they are the originals.

632 Regal
04-24-2006, 12:35 PM
what is the horse power between the 2 engine years?

Paul in NZ
04-24-2006, 01:13 PM
you sure it doesnt just "feel" slower cos its quiet and smooth?

genphreak
04-24-2006, 07:17 PM
Definately check the compression, then after that leaks in the intake and as you well know, that damned AFM... also; adjustment of the throttle cable makes a car feel remarkably different- are you getting to WOT?

jjdickm
04-24-2006, 07:27 PM
what about secondary stuff plugs wires cap rotor. also it could be the timing is off. hopefully your compression is good that would be a bad day if you had leaks. how many miles are on the engine? it could be ring valves hopefully not, good luck though.

Alexlind123
04-24-2006, 08:32 PM
what is the horse power between the 2 engine years?

It didnt change.

632 Regal
04-24-2006, 09:47 PM
What?
it could be the timing is off. it could be ring valves.

genphreak
04-24-2006, 09:55 PM
What?Ring Gears perhaps Jeff? or maybe valve timing is wrong...

genphreak
04-24-2006, 09:56 PM
I guess if the engine has had the timing cover off one would want to check the timing chain is not retarded a tooth or two, if it really had to come to it above all else.

Thing is, all M30B35s had the same cams, so there are no physical differences one might normally fear...

632 Regal
04-24-2006, 09:58 PM
Ring gears? Lol, just pushin a nube. I wondered if the engines made the same torque and HP, Im sure it was installed right but without one of Barrys 180 MPH tests how will we really know?

Ring Gears perhaps Jeff? or maybe valve timing is wrong...

grave77
04-24-2006, 10:41 PM
simply it doesn't burn rubber like the old one, that's a good indication mate !!

grave77
04-24-2006, 10:47 PM
I suspect intake leaks, but it idles fine, I smell a little raw gas from the exhaust. I still cant decide yet, I also suspected the fuel pressure regulator, removing the vacuum hose didn't show any difference.

grave77
04-24-2006, 10:50 PM
I still didn't drive it hard .. I'm giving it time to run at lower rpm to get the valves conditioned again and oil reaching every where.
timing issue might be there, I need to check that too. but if I have a warranty why should I go through all this. right?

winfred
04-25-2006, 04:05 AM
possible dead inductive pickup on the #6 plug wire, without it the computer batch fires the injectors instead of 3 and 3, makes quite a bit of noise with all of that aluminum around

THat could be my problem too, since I adjusted the valves about 4 times, changed all the excentrics, switched to fully sintetic oil and the ticking is still there.

grave77
04-25-2006, 04:20 AM
more updates ... I took a trip round today, the engine heats up above the middle, while I have 540 radiator that was making my old engine run very cool below the middle. I'm starting to feel timing problem here, I called the guy who installed the engine and he ensured that this engine is still sealed and never opened.
when it gets warm it stalls when I full throttle the engine then accelerates slowly.

Jon K
04-25-2006, 05:01 AM
Clearly an issue with the engine or install. Take it back.

grave77
04-25-2006, 05:41 AM
well I would but he will charge me 50% installation labor again ... thats why I'm trying to sort it out here ... I will check the identification sensor tomorrow .. this might be it.

McWatters
04-25-2006, 06:35 AM
Lol simply doesnt burn rubber??? its almost impossible to burn rubber in my car unless im turnin or its wet

cheers

J.McWatters

Torque
04-25-2006, 06:40 AM
Lol simply doesnt burn rubber??? its almost impossible to burn rubber in my car unless im turnin or its wet

cheers

J.McWattershe has a 5 sp ... i can guarantee a lot of rubber burning with 5sp anything ...

athflying79
04-25-2006, 12:18 PM

cheers

J.McWatters

Mine won't exactly burn rubber from a standstill, but it fishtails quite nicely around turns. I didn't buy it for it's power though (or lack of).

Alexlind123
04-25-2006, 12:39 PM
Mine won't exactly burn rubber from a standstill, but it fishtails quite nicely around turns. I didn't buy it for it's power though (or lack of).

I have good, "performance oriented" fairly new tires, and i cannot get it to spin from a standstill on a dry day going straight just by pressing the gas. I replaced my fuel filter the other day however and was surprised when the rear end broke loose on a shallow curve near the end of first gear, i wasnt even flooring it. Around corners, or in the wet, the m30 can produce wheelspipn to satisfactory degree. From my experience, and extensive studies and interviews on the matter including anecdotal evidence, i can safely make the assumption that with a chip and properly tuned an m30-equipped BMW 5series automobile should be able to experience traction loss at will.

A 5 speed m30 should be able produce smoke all day without breaking a sweat. My brother's e28 535im experienced accidental traction loss in second gear with the clutch fully engaged one hot summer day. Unfourtunately a police officer was present at the scene and initiated a frenzied pursuit with lights and sirens. After y brother pulled over, the cop made various and sundry heated threats and exclamations, including "i was too busy trying to catch up to you to clock your speed, but you were probably going XX in that school zone!" and "I could throw you in jail for this". The traffic stop ultimately ended in a ticket for negligent driving to the somethingth-degree. Almost needless to say, the ticket was dropped (with the help of an attorney) without my brother even having to be present at the court.