PDA

View Full Version : m50 water pump?

Ross
04-24-2006, 09:52 AM
Hi, thanks to all who offered advice on my previous post.
The coolant got topped up an hour ago and I sailed off with confidence that insufficiant bleeding had been the problem as I needed to add nearly a gallon.
Ah, false confidence. It's nearly as good as beer muscles for getting in trouble.
A few miles out the gauge started heading north so I shut her down and began the long drive, coast, cool-down ,drive, coast, etc. to get home.
There was no heat in the car,the hoses were rock hard now that there was full coolant.
My diagnosis is the water pump impeller. Who agees? Not?
Thanks again to all who helped. This is a great resource.
I have some exp. with e30 and e32cars with m20/30/70 motors and will be pleased to share whatever I can.

dacoyote
04-24-2006, 12:35 PM
Could be.. when was the last time the pump was replaced?

bfd
04-24-2006, 12:40 PM
If you need a new waterpump, how about trying the new Stewart HP water pump:

http://www.stewartcomponents.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=BMWHPWP

Got a good review in the latest Roundel - stainless steel impeller, heavy duty bearings, rebuiltable, and supposedly up to 20% more water flow! Too bad they don't make one for the M30 engine.

Ross
04-24-2006, 01:14 PM
I'm gonna go with the pump. It looks like it could be original! I just bought the car and only got very recent service records. 110k so I shouldn't bitch. I never had an e30 pump go much more than half that. I'm familiar with the Stewart pump but will research on the recommendation.
Looking forward to using that 32mm "spanner" I ground the **** out of years ago to be thin enough.
Anyone want to sell me an aux. cooling fan?