PDA

View Full Version : 90' 535 spark plugs - stuck nuts?

Moondog
04-24-2006, 09:09 AM
So, over the weekend I was doing some spring maintenance, engine oil, trans fluid, o2 sensor, short shift kit :D and spark plugs.
Ive only had the car a few months, so this was the first time i'd taken out the plugs. I pulled the rubber boot off one (it was hard coming off) and unbolted the plug from the head. Thats when I noticed that the butt end of the plug didnt have the regular terminal nut on it. The new Bosch plugs I have do have the nut. So I pulled the rest of the boots off and they were all like that, and the boots were all hard coming off. Thinking the terminal nut was stuck in the boot, I gently poked around in one with a needlenose pliars, but wasnt able to get anything to move.
So, the question is, WTF? Are my plug terminal nuts stuck in the boots? Or is it possible that the plugs/boots arent meant to have the nuts, and I need to take the nuts off the new plugs? I dont get it, and I'd rather ask before I poke around at my spark plug wire boots and maybe break something.

P.S. I just now found this page on realoem has a picture of the spark plugs, without terminal nuts.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD13&mospid=47408&btnr=12_0085&hg=12&fg=05
Did I just answer my own question? O.o

632 Regal
04-24-2006, 09:24 AM
looks like you dont use the nuts with those plug wire boots, your good to go without them.

athflying79
04-24-2006, 12:04 PM
Some use them so don't, you'll find out when you try and stick them in. If the plug doesn't seat in the boot, spin the end off and see how that feels.

If your old plugs did not have them, then you will have to take them off the new ones. On my M30 I have to spin them off....the same spark plugs goes into hundreds of different manufacturers engines, all with different plug wires.