PDA

View Full Version : Air Conditioner Compressor Won't Turn OFF

mholbrook
04-24-2006, 06:04 AM
For some reason, my air conditioner compressor will not turn off when I push the snowflake button. If I push it and the light comes on, of course it is on. But when I push it and the light goes off, it does not turn off. Any comments -- is it probably just a sticky switch?

dacoyote
04-24-2006, 06:06 AM
That would be my guess......

632 Regal
04-24-2006, 06:13 AM
id think the relay is sticking.

Bill R.
04-24-2006, 06:18 AM
For some reason, my air conditioner compressor will not turn off when I push the snowflake button. If I push it and the light comes on, of course it is on. But when I push it and the light goes off, it does not turn off. Any comments -- is it probably just a sticky switch?

632 Regal
04-24-2006, 07:22 AM
mine stuck last year and got totally froze over before I could stop, tapped the relay and it stopped. Hasnt happened since but Im going to look into cleaning or replacing it before summer.

mholbrook
04-24-2006, 01:01 PM
Update: Sprayed some contact cleaner in around the three switches and worked them all several times. Blew out with compressed air. Working OK now. Probably some "gunk" from the 15 years of service. My bet is coffee based on what I found when I did the short shift and removed the shift surround.