PDA

View Full Version : what does this part do?

GoldenOne
04-24-2006, 04:28 AM
theres a hose that comes from the engine to the front on the left...connects to the plastic plate that covers the headlight housing, etc....what is this and its function???

winfred
04-24-2006, 04:40 AM
couple inches in diameter? it's the alternator cooling duct and they fall apart all of the time, not requiered

Jon K
04-24-2006, 06:02 AM
thank you winfred for saying not required.

i haven't run one for about 2 years - even with my supercharger bracket enclosing that area even more. Everyone who replies about it always says "It is absolutely necessary..." etc etc. I disagree, as do you :)

632 Regal
04-24-2006, 06:08 AM
it bothered me briefly once I figured what it was, not required was my consensus too.

thank you winfred for saying not required.

i haven't run one for about 2 years - even with my supercharger bracket enclosing that area even more. Everyone who replies about it always says "It is absolutely necessary..." etc etc. I disagree, as do you :)

Javier
04-24-2006, 06:28 AM
USD 3 in parts for every E34 they assemble, in a not required part.

Down here it is also usual to say that tstat are not required, and you may find almost every old american car running without one. Recently, I got a friend with and MB 300E without tstat, with the aggravation that in these Germans, tstat not only opens radiator circuit but also closes circulating circuit, so engine temperature was a mess.

I do not like to leave the car without any part. Can understand that mods. and space requirements imposes sacrifices and decisions, but I'm sure alternator will run cooler with the cooling duct installed, giving out more power and lasting longer.

Javier

632 Regal
04-24-2006, 06:32 AM
I need to order that hose.

Down here it is also usual to say that tstat are not required, and you may find almost every old american car running without one. Recently, I got a friend with and MB 300E without tstat, with the aggravation that in these Germans, tstat not only opens radiator circuit but also closes circulating circuit, so engine temperature was a mess.

I do not like to leave the car without any part. Can understand that mods. and space requirements imposes sacrifices and decisions, but I'm sure alternator will run cooler with the cooling duct installed, giving out more power and lasting longer.

Javier

Bill R.
04-24-2006, 06:33 AM
greatly increased here.

Javier

Dave M
04-24-2006, 07:25 AM
I need to order that hose.

Might be the cheapest dealer part you've ever purchased. I paid a wopping $5.00 CAN. for it a few years ago. Even the guy at the parts counter was impressed.

Dave M

Torque
04-24-2006, 07:33 AM
I fixed mine. lol. It cracked towards the back, so I took the broken off part, slipped it on backwards on the main piece ... hard to explain, but it looks better than new. lol.