PDA

View Full Version : Help! Spark plugs...

NAT9566
04-22-2006, 05:18 PM
have been changed over 4 times during the past six months on my e34 520i.... i complained it being jerky before, recently replaced fuel filter and rear shocks (bilstein). my mechanic diagnosed it as a spark plug fouling up problem, or at other times , spark plug electrode wears down too fast.... any ideas as to what the problem might be?... am tired of replacing spark plugs too often especially since i do low mileage ( 200miles a week) currently using bosch sparks...

ps: are the bosch super 4 spark plugs any good... pricey but seem to be good..?

joshua43214
04-22-2006, 05:39 PM
200 miles a week is a 20 mile commute, this is fine mileage. or are you making a bunch of 1 mile trips like doing sales rounds or something? Its not the number of miles a week you drive, its how far you drive each time you start the car that is important.

Short triping is terrible for cars, take it out atleast once a week for a good 30 or 45 minute drive on the highway, go as fast as you dare for atleast part of it. this will cook all the water out of the crankcase and the acid out of the exhaust.

What kind of fouling? if you have leaky valvestems, you may as well buy the cheapy Bosch plugs and just keep tossing them in. Switching to a more expensive plug will accomplish nothing if you are having mechanical issues.

If you need to modify your driving habits, do that first and see what results you have, then think about different plugs. Going to a hotter plug might be benificial. I would use NGK over Bosch if available. Avoid the cheapo Bosch platinums, they suck.

632 Regal
04-22-2006, 06:09 PM
use the stock lugs recommended for your engone, either the bosk or NKG that Bill R recommends, Either way you cant go wrong

BillionPa
04-23-2006, 09:49 PM
I use Denso Iridium plugs and I am extremely happy.

For fouling fix, use 92 octane gas with no ethanol and put 3oz of pure acetone per 10 gallons of gas. That keeps my plugs looking spanking new.

Also make sure your oil is thick enough, your oxygen sensors are working properly, and your air filter is full flowing.

Check for leaks in the intake system too, and make sure you let the car warm up before driving, enough to drop the cold idle rpms 100.

winfred
04-24-2006, 03:59 AM
bosch super plugs are good, bosch platinum plugs suck bad!

632 Regal
04-24-2006, 04:48 AM
i got a set of the supers, the electrode is fatter.
bosch super plugs are good, bosch platinum plugs suck bad!

winfred
04-24-2006, 04:50 AM
that's what makes the bosch plat's suck, the tiny electrode

i got a set of the supers, the electrode is fatter.