PDA

View Full Version : What's this?

pingu
04-22-2006, 09:49 AM
I found this behind the glovebox of my car (in Britain - so it's on the left hand side of the car).

The photo isn't too good but it looked like some kind of sensor, though its connector (2 pins) was dangling and wasn't connected to anything.

The thing is about 4 inches in diameter and about an inch and a half thick, with concentric circles on the front (as if to allow air into it - could it be some sort of sensor for the heating or AC systems)?

Thanks for any ideas.

Marshy
04-22-2006, 10:34 AM
The photo isn't too good but it looked like some kind of sensor, though its connector (2 pins) was dangling and wasn't connected to anything.

My money would be on it being the remains of an old carphone kit or similar.

It certainly doesn't look like a BMW part...

--Chris

Barry
04-22-2006, 12:02 PM
Its BMW alright..what do you reckon goes "boing boing"everytime you start the car with your seatbelt un done??
Its fitted to my car as well..its the audible warning device..

Marshy
04-22-2006, 12:30 PM
a) In the UK I don't believe we have an audible seatbelt warning by default(neither of my E34's has/had)

b) The chime that the OBC uses for all the other "bongs" (washer fluid low, enter start code, bulb out, oil low, etc) is under the driver's side of the dashboard near the base of the steering column. Does the seatbelt warning, where fitted, use it's own chime then?

cschollum
04-22-2006, 02:44 PM
doesnt look genuine to me, id have thought the bmw seatbelt warning would use the standard OBC Gong, but then i dont have the seat belt warning so i cant confirm that
If its bmw it would have a part number on it somewhere

joshua43214
04-22-2006, 04:36 PM
almost looks like a motion sensor that operates off of air movement. the car have an aftermarket alarm installed?

shogun
04-22-2006, 06:03 PM
Would be very easy to idendify, if you would have told us what is written on the sticker. Or just remove it and look at the type and other info written on the back side.

Zeuk in Oz
04-23-2006, 02:11 PM
To me the logo on the sticker looks like "cobra" which at least in Oz was/is a popular aftermarket car alarm company.

wingman
04-23-2006, 02:27 PM
To me the logo on the sticker looks like "cobra" which at least in Oz was/is a popular aftermarket car alarm company.

Definately the Cobra car alarm logo. It's part of an after market alarm system. Well spotted Bo.