PDA

View Full Version : Too much oil

t_marat
04-22-2006, 07:15 AM
Yesterday afternoon I checked the oil level after the engine was off for about 2 hours. It was a little lower than minimum. Added oil till it was close to the max.
Today checked and it was way over the max level! There are no visible oil leaks. If I check the oil level during daily driving (with the engine off), it is a little higher than middle level.

Can there be any damage to the engine for running with too much oil?

joshua43214
04-22-2006, 07:45 AM
Check the oil at normal operating temperature on level ground after the car has sat for about 5 minutes.

Too much oil reduces the volume inside the crankcase causeing and increase in pressure from blowby gas. this can cause premature seal failure or even cause lip seals like the front or rear main seal to be forced out. An extreme over fill can cause the pistons to actualy hit the oil and cause major engine damage, but you have to really try to get that much oil in.

In practice, being slightly over filled on an engine in good condition is normaly ok, but if you drive hard, I would recomend you drain some out. Generaly, if the oil is at the min mark when cold, it will be at the full mark when hot. Also when you top up oil, add 1/2 quart at a time and give the oil a few minutes to drain down from the head before checking its level.

632 Regal
04-22-2006, 09:17 AM
is it all sludged up under the valve cover? Maybe its pooling up there and taking forever to drain back to the pan.

t_marat
04-22-2006, 09:21 AM
Actually I noticed while putting in the additional oil that there was some oil under the valve cover. I cold see the liquid, but in no way you could describe it as overflowing. So I thought it must be normal.

t_marat
04-22-2006, 10:49 PM
This morning the oil level is right at the max. After the engine reached its operating temperature, stopped and checked the oil level after about 5-10 minutes and it was between the middle and the max.
Isn't the oil supposed to expand while hot? Then why does level show lower than with the cold engine?
Oil is Mobile1 0W-40.

mamilapon
04-22-2006, 11:57 PM
Oil does not expand at the same rate as say, water(different coeffecient of expansion). 5 to 10 minutes is probably not long enough waiting before checking oil level. Keep it simple, check it first thing in the morning. Maybe you should use a high detergent oil to clean your galleries up for a few thousand ks.

t_marat
04-23-2006, 12:23 AM
Oil does not expand at the same rate as say, water(different coeffecient of expansion). 5 to 10 minutes is probably not long enough waiting before checking oil level. Keep it simple, check it first thing in the morning. Maybe you should use a high detergent oil to clean your galleries up for a few thousand ks.
Checked after 30mins. Just a little lower from the max.
which oil would that be? the high detergent one?

yesterday I drove about 250km outside of city, at about 120km/hour. I was told these cars consume a lot of oil at high speeds.

shogun
04-23-2006, 12:26 AM
Don't make it too complicated. In the morning you check the oil = all oil is down in the pan by now, except the one small amount in the reservoir which is held back by the small ball valve.
After 10 minutes the oil is all over the engine distributed, and when you check immy after you stopped the engine, you will see less.
As said before: check it once a day in the morning at the same place = in front of your home or wherever the car is parked over night. Because a slight angle or slope also makes a big difference.

t_marat
04-23-2006, 12:28 AM
Because a slight angle or slope also makes a big difference.
which slope would make the oil level look higher? If the cars front raised or the rear end?

shogun
04-23-2006, 12:28 AM
Maybe you should use a high detergent oil to clean your galleries up for a few thousand ks.

No need, as you see from your last statement, all is fine.
For what should someone use a high detergent oil if an engine is fine? People should be more careful with such statements.

shogun
04-23-2006, 12:33 AM
From what angle? Think logical: where is the measurement in the oil pan, where is the lowest/highest point of the pan etc. Look:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HB51&mospid=47370&btnr=11_1898&hg=11&fg=10

t_marat
04-23-2006, 12:39 AM
If to look from the side of the car. When I first measured the oil level (couple of days ago), front of the car was slightly raised.
From the diagram I would think the oil would accumulate around the dipstick if the front is raised, and flow away from it if the rear is raised. right?

632 Regal
04-23-2006, 02:02 PM
either you have a blockage in the head or your canister is leaky. either way the issue has to be addressed for that much ov a level difference.

Torque
04-23-2006, 02:58 PM
either you have a blockage in the head or your canister is leaky. either way the issue has to be addressed for that much ov a level difference.do you ever have a response which doesnt address the worst possible scenario? lol.

i love your responses, but seriously, you scare teh **** out of me (and probably others) sometimes.

t_marat
04-23-2006, 08:20 PM
Measured the level this morning and it was way over the max. The car wasn't really on a level surface, it was slightly raised in front and on a slight angle to the left; all this very slight.
The oil level was so high that the end of the dipstick was completely covered in oil. Yesterday morning oil level was at max.

When I measure during daily driving, 30 minutes later, the oil is usually close to the max.

Am I doing something wrong?

Espen
04-24-2006, 12:58 AM
How about draining out all your oil, and just fill it up with the exact amount?
approx 5 ltrs i think, but check your bentley to be sure..

t_marat
04-24-2006, 01:29 AM
the oil is expensive, 0w-40. If I drain it, then only the excess amount.

Espen
04-24-2006, 10:14 PM
Well if you drain it into a clean bucket jo could fill it up again with the same oil.

632 Regal
04-24-2006, 10:21 PM
sorry, I do attack the worst scenereo which can address the worst "case" scenereo. I dont want anyone to overlook something simple and cause catastrophic damage cause someone was afraid or forgot to mention. Lots of people simply do not have the knowledge to check what I consider the basics. Lots of people are used to a sludge buildup that is NOT acceptible in our engines. Not meant to scare but educate.

do you ever have a response which doesnt address the worst possible scenario? lol.

i love your responses, but seriously, you scare teh **** out of me (and probably others) sometimes.

t_marat
04-24-2006, 11:21 PM
checked this morning and the level was at max. yesterday the whole tip of the dipstick was covered in oil.. the only explanation I see is that a slight angle greatly affects the oil level on the dipstick.