PDA

View Full Version : Just put a fresh Mahle Air Filter in a wow...

Speeder 553
04-21-2006, 07:06 PM
Just put a fresh Mahle Air Filter in a wow did it make a difference in power. That old filter was packed full of sand and crap (2x trips to Las Vegas every month take its toll) .

Anyone else using a Mahle filter? They are OEM replacements and my mech thinks they are excellent.

Check out the filter test. Mahle has the least amout of air restriction to the box!

http://www.bolhuijo.com/airflowtest/

Russell
04-22-2006, 04:00 AM
Mann air filter was not tested. BTW, I have used Mahle and Mann and air filters and have not noticed any difference in performance between them.

SRR2
04-22-2006, 04:49 AM
Heh. I have that exact leaf blower and can testify as to how powerful and LOUD it is. Run it without ear protection and you'll be partially deaf for a couple hours.

That's a great test and should be required reading for everyone who utters the letters K&N.

mikell
04-22-2006, 05:12 AM
Interesting - and just what the gurus on this forum have been saying for as long as I've been reading. There is no substitute for regualr maintenance - change that baby every year - and change the cabin filter at the same time.

Espen
04-22-2006, 05:16 AM
Changing the cabin mircofilter is a hell of a job Ive heard?

gale
04-22-2006, 05:26 AM

It's a bit of a pain but not that bad. I think for 5's you do have to remove the glovebox, but once that's out of the way, the filter change only takes 15 or 20 minutes once you've done it before.

Here's a link for doing a 7, once you get past the glovebox removal (not included), the rest is the same:

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_4.htm

mikell
04-22-2006, 05:30 AM
Just did mine - took 20 minutes, including time to search for the screw I dropped and that rolled under the car. It took me an hour my first time, but once you get hands on, you can do a lot of things by touch - like replacing the glovebox. You only need a phillips head screwdriver andf a torx driver. You'll thank yourself for doing it after you're finished.

Russell
04-22-2006, 05:31 AM
I think my indy charges 45 minutes labor for the job. BTW, I have changed mine twice myself. it is much easier the second time. Do it once a year or every 15,000 miles. do not wait 30,000 miles, like me, or the air volume goes way down and the fan start to whistle at higher fan speeds.

Speeder 553
04-22-2006, 09:31 AM

It's worth it to have your indy do it. Mine took 1/2 hr. My old cabin filter was so dirty I was getting very little air flow. After the new filter (Mann) was installed the #1 fan position blows like the #4 before I replaced the filter. Should replaced it a long time ago. What a difference it makes.