PDA

View Full Version : 1990 BMW 535i upgrades

blackpawn5
04-21-2006, 05:25 PM
Hey everyone, i have a 1990 BMW 535i and I want to turn this into a real head turner, i already have a performance chip, currently working on wheels, one thing that kills me though are the costs of perfomance exhaust systems. I have seen tri flo and remus but im curious if there any any other competitive cheaper brands?

ElSupremo
04-21-2006, 05:31 PM
I think a lot of people who want something that sounds good and is cheaper go with a MagnaFlow can. Cheaper than a catback.
You can pretty much figure at least $500 for a decent catback.

Badkrma
04-21-2006, 05:36 PM
lets see what it looks like currently...... Here is my 1990 535i.

blackpawn5
04-21-2006, 05:43 PM
Ill try to get it a good picture on tomorrow if our weather clears, lots of rain lately

Alexlind123
04-21-2006, 06:22 PM
Almost stock.

My car got covered in pollen, and then it rained. On top of that, i picked a terrible time of day to take the pics so they turned out all grainy.
http://servo.postverket.us/alex/little1.jpghttp://servo.postverket.us/alex/little2.jpghttp://servo.postverket.us/alex/little3.jpg

blackpawn5
04-21-2006, 06:59 PM
what does the K and N intake sound like? any difference and how much did your car get lowered

Alexlind123
04-21-2006, 07:46 PM
what does the K and N intake sound like? any difference and how much did your car get lowered

I only have the K&N filter in the stock intake. The m30 engine sound heavenly at full throttle, but they all might. The PO lowered the car, and i dont know how much. I could measure it if i had some stock measurements to compare it with.

blackpawn5
04-21-2006, 08:11 PM
I only have the K&N filter in the stock intake. The m30 engine sound heavenly at full throttle, but they all might. The PO lowered the car, and i dont know how much. I could measure it if i had some stock measurements to compare it with.

oh dont worry about it, i have the K and N filter as well but im planning on buying the intake this week

Alexlind123
04-21-2006, 08:15 PM
I dont think you will get a power gain from a K&N intake from these cars, the stock airbox is actually very efficient. If you want more sound, replace the restrictive trumpet silencer with a section of tubing from home depot (do a search).

blackpawn5
04-21-2006, 08:18 PM
im not looking for power at all, just a rich sound without buying a tri flo exhaust system yet

Alexlind123
04-21-2006, 08:20 PM
Try a magnaflow or flowmaster muffler. I have been itching for someone to post an audio clip of one of the two on an m30.

blackpawn5
04-21-2006, 08:22 PM
I have looked into it but cant find a website with more information, i hate the idea of a universal part on a BMW, just personal opinion, but i will look further let me know if you got anymore information on that

ElSupremo
04-21-2006, 10:40 PM
i hate the idea of a universal part on a BMW,
No different than having custom exhaust made, and there's nothing wrong with that.
If you can't buy what you want, you make what you want.http://www.tehdriven.com/forum/images/smilies/custom/dunno.gif

genphreak
04-21-2006, 11:16 PM
I have looked into it but cant find a website with more information, i hate the idea of a universal part on a BMW, just personal opinion, but i will look further let me know if you got anymore information on thatIf that is the case give the K&N a miss. The money would be better spent on repairs or some other mod: Many of the sager members argue they don't work well enough to protect your engine and can restrict flowrate. The fact is that a stock airbox is immensely better than any aftermarket general fitment intake. Unless you buy a mother K&N twice as big as you can fit without removing other parts or piping it elsewhere you will get nothing from it. The same stock intake is more than large enough; big enough for the M102 turbo M30 in an e23; they suck more than any 525 or 535.

The standard filters are cheap to replace, more-efficient, last for ages and the intake is a cold-air ram intake design. It does not use metal pipes so even keeps air better insulated on the way to the AFM. And its light and space friendly.

Removing your BMW intake is just one of the ways you can damage your ride- not just in terms of value but also performance and reliability.

If an aftermaket company went to the trouble BMW did to engineer their intake, it'd cost hundreds or even thousands of dollars to buy. Other car manufacturers are still copying the approach BMW took in these areas on the e34 range. A K&N is just an old and rough way to get the job done.

If you want sound, get a good exhaust- ie a Supersprint or Eissenman muffler would be the right way to go. Otherwise I'd find an indie who can fit something else that will guarantee the right sound - or at least fitment- as this is very hard to achieve without making the muffler especially for the space available under the car (as BMW did). Space is why the damn thing is bent like a over-ripe banana being dragged thorugh an ant-colony and is thus really not suited to Ricer upgrades. It's a pro job or no job in my experience- and if no job I mean much better to stick with stock exhaust as (like the intake) it is simply too good to risk a downgrade)