PDA

View Full Version : 89 535iA Starter Question

borderchris
04-21-2006, 05:18 PM
Hey all- still dealing with this no crank issue, but I had a starter question. In key position 3, I jumped the 10MM bolt from the jump lug, which resulted in a WHIRRRRRRIINNNNG sound, but no engagement of the teeth. Should that actually start the car, hence is my solinoid bad?

BTW the relay clicks on and off as I move the gear lever from N to P, so I'm pretty sure the neutral switch and relay are OK. Help!

Chris

Oh, BTW, when I actually turn the key in this condition, the starter doesn't even WHIRRRRRRR... nothing.

Rustam
04-21-2006, 05:56 PM
Hey all- still dealing with this no crank issue, but I had a starter question. In key position 3, I jumped the 10MM bolt from the jump lug, which resulted in a WHIRRRRRRIINNNNG sound, but no engagement of the teeth. Should that actually start the car, hence is my solinoid bad?

BTW the relay clicks on and off as I move the gear lever from N to P, so I'm pretty sure the neutral switch and relay are OK. Help!

Chris

Oh, BTW, when I actually turn the key in this condition, the starter doesn't even WHIRRRRRRR... nothing.

the solenoid pushes starter motor gear against the flywheel of the engine. If the solenoid is bad the gear does not find contact with the flywheel and the engine does not crank...

Javier
04-22-2006, 04:28 AM
then you may have the motor running but the bendix is not engaging the fywhell.

See picture below, power should come into the starter at port 50 (the same one is connected to pin 11 of Diagnostic connector, that is the one used by mechanics to start the engine from the engine bay. If you get no crank from there, you can go straight to the 50 port in the starter to discard a wire (Black/Yellow) or connector.

If you got nothing powering the starter at 50, then you may have a damaged solenoid inside (Hope you have no ground issues to the engine, doubt it as you have motor running). I've seen the not running in hot issue in other cars starter.

Javier