PDA

View Full Version : Blower stoped working

nariusb
04-21-2006, 08:34 AM
Hello, could yo kindly help me troubleshoot this blower fan problem?
Ok, my blower stoped working yesterday without warning. I did rebuild the sword a year ago, so it must be a relay or the blower itself, isn't it.
The blower fuse #19 is OK. Any suggestions, please on how to proseed?

cschollum
04-21-2006, 09:12 AM
Hello, could yo kindly help me troubleshoot this blower fan problem?
Ok, my blower stoped working yesterday without warning. I did rebuild the sword a year ago, so it must be a relay or the blower itself, isn't it.
The blower fuse #19 is OK. Any suggestions, please on how to proseed?

How old is the blower?

nariusb
04-21-2006, 09:38 AM
How old is the blower?

Hi, Cshollum, no idea how old it is. It's an 1989 525i and I've got the car two years ago. Is there a way to jump/test the blower without taking it out?
Is it relay 87 and 30 pins shorted?

cschollum
04-21-2006, 10:03 AM
Hi, Cshollum, no idea how old it is. It's an 1989 525i and I've got the car two years ago. Is there a way to jump/test the blower without taking it out?
Is it relay 87 and 30 pins shorted?

Yes and no, shorting those out does indeed provide +12v to the motor, however the motor isnt grounded all the time thats done by the final stage unit, as shown in the picture below

the final stage unit N2 is located in the RH footwell on the Left hand side of the heater unit

It is this item that is more then likely faulty, if the relay short doesnt turn it on
BTW make sure you have the ignition on when you try the relay short as N2 wont be powered without it

nariusb
04-21-2006, 10:13 AM
Yes and no, shorting those out does indeed provide +12v to the motor, however the motor isnt grounded all the time thats done by the final stage unit, as shown in the picture below

the final stage unit N2 is located in the RH footwell on the Left hand side of the heater unit

It is this item that is more then likely faulty, if the relay short doesnt turn it on
BTW make sure you have the ignition on when you try the relay short as N2 wont be powered without it

I jumped the 30 and 87 pins with the ignition all all but car not started. I hear the click in the blower area but it doesn't start spinning.
By the way is this N2 and sword the same thing? If not how do I get at it?

cschollum
04-21-2006, 10:21 AM
yes the final stage unit is the 'sword' which you say you have 'rebuilt' perhaps you didnt do a lasting repair or its gone faulty again

if you sure its ok then youre looking at the blower motor bushes have packed in at a guess, and suggest replacing it with one from the breakers?

this page details sword repair
http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Maintenance/Electrical/Sword.htm

nariusb
04-21-2006, 11:13 AM
yes the final stage unit is the 'sword' which you say you have 'rebuilt' perhaps you didnt do a lasting repair or its gone faulty again

if you sure its ok then youre looking at the blower motor bushes have packed in at a guess, and suggest replacing it with one from the breakers?

this page details sword repair
http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Maintenance/Electrical/Sword.htm

Isn't a sympton of a bad sword transistor full blower on possition 4 an nothing in 1/2/3? My blower is dead in all 4 possitions. Then again it could be a resistor or a cap or a spider crack, right? I'll look at the sword first and then the blower.