PDA

View Full Version : Another loss of a 5er :(

Hypr5
04-21-2006, 03:20 AM
Hey guys,
Today another 5 was wrecked. The black e34 in my sig pic. :(
Haven't had it for very long, but put LOTS of money into it. The tire decided to blow out on the freeway and I somehow managed to keep the car from hitting the center divide. Although its considered an unsafe place, I wasn't in a lane and it's where the car wanted to go... it was so squirly after the blow out, I didn't have much of a choice as to where I wanted to "safely" stop the car. 15 - 30 seconds later, I was rear ended by a car who was traveling at freeway speeds. They knicked the right rear corner and body damage was somewhat minimal considering the circumstances, but they also hit the rim which was bent and the car has some serious camber and toe issues now. A normal car drives straight like this | and now this one drives straight like this / if you can imagine what I'm talking about. The police officer said on the loudspeaker that my car looked like a crab on the freeway.

Everybody was ok, untouched, no scratches, nothing. Have a sore back, but I'm sure it's just stress. The car did its job and saved me and my passenger (mother - she had the day off and I was taking her to lunch) and it turned on it's hazard lights, etc. Excellent safety. I will be buying another. I'm not sure if they are going to total it yet, but several body shops have said that when the suspension of an older rwd car gets tweaked, it's usually expensive and it can cause costly damages down the road. I can't get out my JL subs, PPI amp, Clarion deck, etc, etc. I hope I don't lose EVERYTHING on the car. :(

Like the police officer said, though, we're all safe and thats what matters. Thank you BMW.

I have some crap cam phone pictures that I can't get onto my computer for some odd reason, but if I can I will post them.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. :)

Gayle
04-21-2006, 03:38 AM
Saw your car at bimmerfest. So sorry to hear about its demise. :( Really glad you are ok.

Alan_525i
04-21-2006, 03:57 AM
Really sorry to hear this. Is that Rob's old car btw?

dacoyote
04-21-2006, 05:28 AM
Sorry to hear that man...

DaCan23
04-21-2006, 06:09 AM
Sorry for your loss.... WTF... OMG... we're dropping like flies.... makes me wanna leave the 5er at home and bike or walk or make the GF drive...

M-what
04-21-2006, 06:37 AM
If the car is totalled, you can get the stereo equipment back. All you need to do is tell the insurance company that you will need to be reimbursed for the stereo in the settlement cost. I did that with my last car when it was totalled and they had no problems with me going to the tow yard and pull all the equipment out. Only thing they asked was that you don't leave any empty "holes". So put the stock deck back in ( don't have to wire it). No insurance company will want to pay out more than they have to.

The other option is to buy the car back and part it out after you take out what you need, or transfer the good parts to your new 5. Good luck.

E34 530
04-21-2006, 07:36 AM
That sucks man, that car was beautiful. Was that Shragon's old car?? if so, I'm guessing you just put in a new tranny. Will you be parting the car out??

Bellicose Right Winger
04-21-2006, 07:47 AM
The engine temp hasn't yet reached ambient and the buzzards are circling the carcass. I love it. It must the recycle, environmental consciousness in all of us. BTW, how much for the wheels?

...........Will you be parting the car out??

Traian
04-21-2006, 09:08 AM
That totally sucks man, but really happy for you and your mom that you are safe. Something similar happened here in Toronto a couple of days ago where a fellow who was stopped on the highway got rear-ended (except he was stopped for no apparent good reason) and he didn't stand a chance. He was driving a Geo I believe.

E34 530
04-21-2006, 09:15 AM
The engine temp hasn't yet reached ambient and the buzzards are circling the carcass. I love it. It must the recycle, environmental consciousness in all of us. BTW, how much for the wheels?

LOL, so true. I'll admit it, I'm a scumbag.

cschollum
04-21-2006, 09:16 AM
was the car not drivable after the blowout?

NovceGuru
04-21-2006, 09:25 AM
Sorry to hear about this........may I mention your doors and transmission would look just _gorgeous_ on my 93 525i :D

liquidtiger720
04-21-2006, 11:54 AM
I'm taking my st115's off this summer now. Crappy tires =x.

Bye Bye Rob's old car. I use to drool over the thing everytime I saw it in SF.

piman
04-21-2006, 12:39 PM
Sad to hear. Glad everyone is OK.Pi.

shragon
04-21-2006, 12:49 PM
man, just heard of the news. :(

so sorry to hear about this donny! however, i'm glad the bmw did what it did, and that was keep you and your mom safe!

hope it's not the end for her. you put all that hard work into getting her up and running again. i don't want to see us both missing her. :(

tim s
04-21-2006, 06:11 PM
i still did not get the money to fix my bumper from being rear ended last november.
i will most likly need to file a law suet.
tim s.

Incantation
04-22-2006, 12:38 AM
ouch.. sorry to hear that dude

sKilled
04-22-2006, 12:44 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss. But I am glad that everyone survived uninjured (apart from the 5 unfortunately). I don't think it's the cars, I think that it's just a coincidental streak.