PDA

View Full Version : Bilstein Longevity?

onewhippedpuppy
04-21-2006, 02:58 AM
Anyone know how long Bilsteins typically last? My rears only have 20k on them, but the fronts have 80k. Just wondering if it's something I should plan on replacing.

winfred
04-21-2006, 03:57 AM
from what i've seen anywhere from 1000 miles to 200,000 miles, they are pretty much good till they start dumping oil

632 Regal
04-21-2006, 04:09 AM
i had one last 8 months and another last a year...im so impressed im gonna buy sets for everyone and replace them for you all.

billmcdaniel5
04-21-2006, 04:57 AM
I put a set of sports on my 2002 about 15 yrs ago. Still were going strong when I sold the car last month... when the times comnes won't hesitate to buy a set for the e 34.

Tiger
04-21-2006, 05:06 AM
You gotta remember what Bilstein you are talking about. I always buy the monotube... yellow one... and they last forever. I had three sets for three different cars... they all lasted 9+ years and way over 140,000 miles. My third set is for E34 and they are still on the car... over 20K miles.

Bilstein monotube is rated for at 100,000 miles, they retained 95% efficiency of new Bilstein. So theoreticaly... at about 200,000 miles is when it is not so good.

Bilstein also made the twin-tube... and those are just like any other twintubes... they fail fast.

onewhippedpuppy
04-21-2006, 05:48 AM
No clue what kind of strut Bilstein I have, in the back it's the yellow monotube. I would assume the strut would be the corresponding model.

Tiger
04-21-2006, 06:00 AM
Most likely... Twin tube did not come out until like 2 years ago... those are black in color.

632 Regal
04-21-2006, 06:13 AM
mine are yellow. one had an internal leak and the one on the car right now is binding bad, sounds like its gonna shoot through the hood.

ThoreauHD
04-21-2006, 08:06 AM
Where did you buy the Sachs shocks/struts from Jeff?

632 Regal
04-21-2006, 08:36 AM
BMA, just got them in today but I dont have any bumpstops. I wanted to pop em in this weekend.
Where did you buy the Sachs shocks/struts from Jeff?

ThoreauHD
04-21-2006, 10:26 AM
I'm thinking about getting a full set of shocks and springs done with sachs/eibach. Let me know how it goes for you once you getter done.

It would be nice to have a knowledgeable person compare the bilstein's and sachs. The warranty on these things aren't that impressive all around, so I guess longevity will have to do.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
04-21-2006, 10:42 AM
I had Bilstein monotubes on a '76 2002 and decided they were too harsh so I swapped in some Boge/Sachs TurboGas. The car rode like a Buick with the Boges. Swapped the Bilsteins back in about 2 weeks later.

The 2002 had a broken Bilstein on the back (wouldn't compress past 1/2 way). Picked up a couple of used ones from another car and one of those was also broken the same way. Strange, but I did end up with a good pair and neither of those ever failed.

Tried Bilsteins on my '88 325iS and it rode a bit stiffer than OE but was fine aside from them lifting the front end 1/2". The OE Boge struts on that car had some kind of internal rebound spring to keep them from easily extending. Never seen that on a strut before or since.

It'll be interesting to hear Jeff's ride comparison impression.

632 Regal
04-21-2006, 10:58 AM
anything would be great compared to the sticking one, im afraid im gonna bust the strut mount on top now.

genphreak
04-24-2006, 08:39 PM
Bilsteins are like this;
For all e23, e28, 32, 34, maybe the same for e21 and even e26 (M1).
M1 came with Bilstein Sports standard.

Rear
- all monotube design
Front
- Touring Class is monotube
- HD and Sport are a dual-tubed cartridge (and it's easy to tell as the base of the outer tube can be removed without depressurising the inner tube).

Boge/Sashs are all monotube construction. I don't know about Konis... monotube too? Monotube is probably better overall (lighter and faster heat-dissipation) and cheaper. Maybe dual tube is better when you are making them in lower numbers.

:) Nick

632 Regal
04-24-2006, 08:56 PM
there is a rebound spring inside the Super Tourings, if the bumpstops make it I will do the swap this weekend, but Im not betting on them getting here in time. The front bilstein stopped making noise but is still binding, It might be a strut collar failure but too soon to say for sure, I hope so maybe I can ebay them and recoup a few cents on the dollar if they are still good.

onewhippedpuppy
04-25-2006, 03:30 AM
You should be able to get something for them Jeff, somebody can buy them and send them into be rebuilt by Bilstein. I think they charge $75 per shock to rebuild.

genphreak
04-25-2006, 03:51 AM
there is a rebound spring inside the Super Tourings, if the bumpstops make it I will do the swap this weekend, but Im not betting on them getting here in time. The front bilstein stopped making noise but is still binding, It might be a strut collar failure but too soon to say for sure, I hope so maybe I can ebay them and recoup a few cents on the dollar if they are still good.Maybe the rebound is specified by BMW for OEM fitment to preserve strut mounts in tough situations, or reduce impact noise. Who knows... its a really is a marketing and technical mess- the way Bilstein sell their e34 shocks...