PDA

View Full Version : Placing fog lights

mitch2k
04-20-2006, 01:59 AM
Hey folks,

Since I wanne upgrade the looks of my car, i'm want to place foglights.

I took of the foglight switch (I have the model now for only the back fog lights), and ther where 5 wires. In the bumper there are 2 unused plugs with a cap over, so the wiring is allready there.

Is it enough to just get myself an set of original foglights, and the 3 way switch (off/front/back&front)? Or do I also need to pleace a relay?

Another question: How do I get the cover cap safely off (where the foglights gotta be)?

Thanks for the help!

I've added some pictures:

mitch2k
04-21-2006, 12:28 AM
anyone? :-D.

cschollum
04-21-2006, 02:03 AM
to remove the cover, i would think you would remove the towing hook cover, next to the fog light bay, by pressing in the little tab that protrudes at the side and that should reveal some screws that holds the cover in place for the fogs

if the wiring is already there I would think all you will need is the switch, in any case you will need a switch, so when thats fitted and the the fogs are in and you still dont get any light then id look into missing relays.

mitch2k
04-21-2006, 10:47 AM
Today i've placed the foglights. There where indeed 2 screws behind the cover (thank you cschollum)..

I've placed the lights, replaced the switch, and putted an relay in the open bay in the fusebox (relay with red dot on photo).

When I put the switch on, the relay clicks, but the lights don't burn, and the indicator on the dash doesn't give light...

What am I missing? :-(.

Thanks for the help!

cschollum
04-21-2006, 10:56 AM
may sound daft, but do you have the headlights switched on and ignition on?

cschollum
04-21-2006, 11:06 AM
Unfortunatly I dont have the wiring diagrams for the Diesel cars and below 525I

The wiring on diesels is different to normal 525i in that theey dont have a lot of the wiring and systems in place as standard

All i can say is that the LKM turns the Fog lights on as in the diagram below on a normal 1993 525I:
But your car MAY be different:

mitch2k
04-21-2006, 12:14 PM
Ok, it all works... me happy :D

It was a blown fuse... I thought the fuse was the same as the headlights... But with looking at the wiring diagram (thank you again cschollum), I saw another fuse, that was blown...

Thanks for the help!

Paul in NZ
04-21-2006, 12:59 PM
good work!you will have noticed that the main lights have to be on (at least parking lights)

mitch2k
04-21-2006, 01:15 PM
I have to turn on the headlights before I can put on the fog lights... Maybe there is a way to fix that you can also put the fog lights on when the parking light is on?
Attached a photo of the result...

good work!you will have noticed that the main lights have to be on (at least parking lights)

schematic
04-22-2006, 01:23 AM
I have to turn on the headlights before I can put on the fog lights... Maybe there is a way to fix that you can also put the fog lights on when the parking light is on?
Attached a photo of the result...

Thanks for the info on fitting lights JOB DONE! Why don't you post your info on this sight it was very helpful!. Harry