PDA

View Full Version : gas in oil????

jlcool007
04-19-2006, 09:50 PM
hi, i've recent;y gotten an oil change about 200 miles ago and was wondering if it is normal to smell a strong content of what seems to be gaoline on the oil dip stick

-jason-

bill g
04-19-2006, 10:46 PM
Never noticed that on any car I have ever owned. Possible cause is leaking fuel injector/s. Excess fuel leaks past piston rings and drops into sump. Other symptoms of this would be higher than normal fuel consumption and engine taking longer than it should to start after standing for a while - the latter because leaks cause loss of residual pressure in the fuel injection system.

Bill G Melbourne Australia

joshua43214
04-20-2006, 04:08 AM
I have only seen gas smell in oil from 2 causes, leaky injectors as so well described by bill above and by rich mixture. Normaly the check engine light will come on if the mixture is to rich, but I have seen cars run just rich enough to comtaminate the oil, but not quite rich enough to turn on the CEL. This can be caused commonly by a bad fuel pressure regulator or very bad injector spray pattern.

My money is on leaky injectors, since the oil contaminated so quickly and you don't mention a CEL on. Try running an injector flush, it doesn't usualy fix them, but sometimes it does. Your not out much money if it fails. replace the oil after you fix the problem, gas is bad for main bearings =)