PDA

View Full Version : What's to swapping to N'Ring Pkg. brakes up front?

MTechnik540i
04-19-2006, 05:03 PM
Interested in making this upgrade, and was wondering if you guys could help me figure out what all is involved in this swap?

If it's as simple as Rotors/calipers....how easy it to get ahold of Nurburgring Pkg. calipers?

Thanks again for the help,

632 Regal
04-19-2006, 05:08 PM
huh?

cschollum
04-19-2006, 05:21 PM
do you mean the Nuremberg suspension??

MTechnik540i
04-19-2006, 05:34 PM
do you mean the Nuremberg suspension??

No.

And it's Nürburgring*

It's a package on the M5, which included more than suspension. The M Sport already is equipped with it's suspension...interested in it's brakes now.

cschollum
04-19-2006, 05:37 PM
well if your so good at spelling it, why didn’t you spell it correctly the first time instead of abbreviating it so we don’t understand you
And for your information it didnt include any different brakes

What is the Nurburgring Package?
In addition to the standard Adaptive M Suspension fitted to all 3.8-liter M5s, the Nurburgring Package could be added as an extra cost option. This consisted of ZF Servotronic (vehicle-speed sensitive) power steering, a 19mm rear anti-roll bar, wider 255/40ZR17 rear tires on 9x17-inch alloy wheels (already standard on the Touring) and a control switch for the adjustable shocks that allowed them to be locked in the firmest position. This package became standard on all M5s as of May, 1994 production, with the exception of the Servotronic steering which became a separate option at this time.

MTechnik540i
04-19-2006, 05:44 PM
well if your so good at spelling it, why didn’t you spell it correctly the first time instead of abbreviating it so we don’t understand you
And for your information it didnt include any different brakes

What is the Nurburgring Package?
In addition to the standard Adaptive M Suspension fitted to all 3.8-liter M5s, the Nurburgring Package could be added as an extra cost option. This consisted of ZF Servotronic (vehicle-speed sensitive) power steering, a 19mm rear anti-roll bar, wider 255/40ZR17 rear tires on 9x17-inch alloy wheels (already standard on the Touring) and a control switch for the adjustable shocks that allowed them to be locked in the firmest position. This package became standard on all M5s as of May, 1994 production, with the exception of the Servotronic steering which became a separate option at this time.

Well, I stand corrected. Simply edited the title so it wasn't super long.

Well, what's to upgrading to the 345mm brakes then guys?

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-19-2006, 05:47 PM
Acht Du Liebe, Ich nicht verstehe.

632 Regal
04-19-2006, 07:12 PM
i believe this has been well thought of and covered, read on brunos site and see if that helps then get back.

Kalevera
04-19-2006, 07:23 PM
The problem with the nurburgring (with the umlaut, I don't know the ascii keystroke to get it) brakes is that:

1) They're very expensive, and nearly impossible to find used. We sold a set from a wrecked car that we dismantled for $1500/fronts, $600/rears. If buying new, you need the calipers (edit: duuh..no carriers). Doubt they'll be sold loaded, so expect to buy the antirattle clip and possibly the pins, as well. Rotors are also unique and expensive -- a dealer only item.

2) It seems there are virtually no pad options available in the US aside from stock -- again, only available from a dealer. So, if you like textar performance and dust, it might be a worthwhile purchase. Otherwise, the UUC UBBK isn't that much more expensive, comparatively speaking, and people routinely elect to use that versus the alternatives at my shop.

The other thing is, when doing an upgrade of that nature, all four spaces need attention to preserve balance and keep the ABS/ASC happy.

best, whit

BillionPa
04-19-2006, 08:55 PM
want big brakes?

get these!!

http://www.movit.de/rahmen/bmw.htm

380x82 fronts and 322x28 rears

95-540iLE
04-20-2006, 01:49 AM
I am in the process of updating the brakes on my 540i LE to the full 1995 M5 big brake system.

Picked up the calipers second hand off EBay UK together with rear protection plates. Am currently waiting for delivery of the (new) disks and pads and in the meantime are getting the calipers powdercoated and rebuilt.

Have a list of all bits required at work. Let me know if interested.

Cheers

BigKriss
04-20-2006, 03:28 PM
I'm under the assumption that the e32 750il Euro calipers (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=GC81&mospid=47354&btnr=34_0363&hg=34&fg=05)and the E34 M5 3.8L calipers (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HJ91&mospid=47399&btnr=34_0364&hg=34&fg=05) use the same pads.

I e-mailed a german distributor yesterday and I'm certain EBC makes pads for these calipers (see 3886C). (http://us.f13.yahoofs.com/bc/444825ee_15c8/bc/My+Documents/EBC+pads.pdf?bf2jCSEB8G1BYBLs)

I still need to reply back to them, but I will keep you guys updated.

95-540iLE
04-20-2006, 03:35 PM
I have responded to your request a bit further down and in somewhere, but in general answer, it is very easy to get the parts to upgrade to the Nurburgring or big brake package fitted to the 1995 model M5 and the Euro 850CSi - just very expensive.

BMA give very competitive quotes which in my opinion, compare favourably to the UUC, AP, Brembo type alternatives.

Still expensive however!

Good luck with it.

Cheers

Interested in making this upgrade, and was wondering if you guys could help me figure out what all is involved in this swap?

If it's as simple as Rotors/calipers....how easy it to get ahold of Nurburgring Pkg. calipers?

Thanks again for the help,

MTechnik540i
04-20-2006, 04:43 PM
I have responded to your request a bit further down and in somewhere, but in general answer, it is very easy to get the parts to upgrade to the Nurburgring or big brake package fitted to the 1995 model M5 and the Euro 850CSi - just very expensive.

BMA give very competitive quotes which in my opinion, compare favourably to the UUC, AP, Brembo type alternatives.

Still expensive however!

Good luck with it.

Cheers

Yeah, thanks so much for the info. Looks like it probably makes more sense to go the aftermarket route when it's all said and done.