PDA

View Full Version : Help with a headlight.

Sweetwater
04-19-2006, 04:35 PM
Just washed the car and found rock damage to the passenger side outer headlight. It's got a horizontal break in it in the upper 1/3 of the glass. It's the low beam and still lights up but will need replacing.

Is there a lense replacement available, a diagram to replace it or an affordable place to buy the replacement?

Low miles, daily driver in nice weather.....

Thanks all....

zedtech2000
07-15-2006, 07:39 PM
I don't know if you have fixed your headlight yet, but I have a cracked low beam as well, and I am working on getting it replaced. I purchased a new unit from Bavarian Autosport for about $70. I am working on removing the old one and installing the new one now, so if you have not replaced it yet I will be more than happy to give you some pointers.

zedtech2000
07-15-2006, 07:56 PM
By the way... Does anyone else have any pointers? I have removed the whole grill, I just can't figure out how to get the headlight out of the car. The Bently manual says something about using a hair dryer, is this right and how does it work? Any ideas? Thanks...

dgb0491
08-12-2006, 09:29 AM
I replaced my Highbeams about a year ago. I was actually crazy enough to go buy the hair dryer. After an hour or so of "drying".... I found the whole thing just pops out if I pulled hard enough and then they are easy to put back in the new assembly and put back on. I take no responibility if this doesn't work, so you might want to go pic up some of the little clip things at the dealer before you try. Hope it works... Good luck

Felixdacat
08-12-2006, 12:12 PM
Try a junker. They sell them pretty cheap. I changed to euro projectors "smileys" with city lights. Cost me 150 for both sides complete.

Qube
08-12-2006, 03:43 PM
"Usually" it's simplier and cheaper to replace the headlamp (just the broken one, not the whole side!). Else, you can buy a lens and hope it matches all your other old and sandblasted ones! That's the problem, really... matching.

To remove the lens, use a heatgun around it and it will 'melt' off. Of course, you need to be very careful to seal the new one in place properly.

632 Regal
08-12-2006, 03:59 PM
what do you use to seal the new on on?

"Usually" it's simplier and cheaper to replace the headlamp (just the broken one, not the whole side!). Else, you can buy a lens and hope it matches all your other old and sandblasted ones! That's the problem, really... matching.

To remove the lens, use a heatgun around it and it will 'melt' off. Of course, you need to be very careful to seal the new one in place properly.

Bill R.
08-12-2006, 04:07 PM
Here (http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Maintenance/Electrical/Headlamp.htm)

By the way... Does anyone else have any pointers? I have removed the whole grill, I just can't figure out how to get the headlight out of the car. The Bently manual says something about using a hair dryer, is this right and how does it work? Any ideas? Thanks...