PDA

View Full Version : LPG on my 535i, first repairing the engine

efxview
04-19-2006, 03:48 PM
Am I going to install glp, but earlier I will have to repair the low compression, and oil consumption that it has, I hope that they should be guides seats and valves, which you believe?
some fact where to buy cheap parts for the net? see this Headgasket set on racingking.net for $102
and Head Gasket & Bolt Kit in bimmer for $159.
is there cheaper?
will it be advisable with bolts or not?

it does a pair of months buy this car, and now I see that evil has been repaired, the engine has been opened earlier

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-19-2006, 03:55 PM
pulling the head

efxview
04-20-2006, 07:40 AM
I believe that they already did it, and do not want to remain without combustion camera, any way I will check it.

rob101
04-20-2006, 12:34 PM
Am I going to install glp, but earlier I will have to repair the low compression, and oil consumption that it has, I hope that they should be guides seats and valves, which you believe?
some fact where to buy cheap parts for the net? see this Headgasket set on racingking.net for $102
and Head Gasket & Bolt Kit in bimmer for $159.
is there cheaper?
will it be advisable with bolts or not?

it does a pair of months buy this car, and now I see that evil has been repaired, the engine has been opened earlier
you need to get the head planed as well and perhaps edit your post so it is more understandable! Most people CAN'T UNDERSTAND WTF YOU ARE ON ABOUT!

efxview
04-20-2006, 02:26 PM
you are right, they are too many things simultaneously
1)I have to repair the engine, where they advise me to buy cheap parts for the net?
2)I have to buy a Head Gasket kit,it is better with or without bolts?
3)someone has changed to LPG (automotive liquefied petroleum gas )?, or will be a first one?

Tks

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-20-2006, 03:31 PM
1)I have to repair the engine, where they advise me to buy cheap parts for the net? You can get parts from many sources on the net. Yes ther are numerous places... BMA, Ebay. It's up to your budget and shipping so compare them all, call them before ordering.

2)I have to buy a Head Gasket kit,it is better with or without bolts?
Get new bolts...they are only good for one time. (i've people reuse them...but not me. too lazy..don't what to do the job twice)

3)someone has changed to LPG (automotive liquefied petroleum gas )?, or will be a first one?
I think your the first...let us know how it goes, we may all be running LP gas soon too.

rob101
04-20-2006, 03:43 PM
I think your the first...let us know how it goes, we may all be running LP gas soon too.
i had a friend who was going to do this. he bought all the stuff, there are 2 types of system. Vapour injection (much like fuel injection in that you have electronically controlled injectors that usually run off the factory computer with some minor compensation) and a mixer ring type setup (not sure of a proper name) basically it works like a carby, and you just have a mixer ring in the throttle body that modulates the flow of gas from the pressure in a vacuum line that is in the throttle body you just adjust a screw to compensate and tune and your done. 2nd option is cheaper and more common however i don't see the point of going an alternative fuel for the fuel saving and then going back to a superceeded technology (ie carburettors).
as for anything else, with hardened valves there won't be too much of a problem.

Gayle
04-20-2006, 06:35 PM
you need to get the head planed as well and perhaps edit your post so it is more understandable! Most people CAN'T UNDERSTAND WTF YOU ARE ON ABOUT!

efxview--I am guessing English is not your native language. One of the great things about this forum is that it international. It can be a tough crowd here sometimes, but hang in there with your questions. You can help us by giving more explanation in your posts.

I was curious about your initial post cause I didn't understand it either and am glad you clarified it. And I am really glad to know what LPG is--I had no clue, but didn't want to ask cause I didn't want to admit I had no clue.

rob101
04-20-2006, 09:57 PM
efxview--I am guessing English is not your native language. One of the great things about this forum is that it international. It can be a tough crowd here sometimes, but hang in there with your questions. You can help us by giving more explanation in your posts.

I was curious about your initial post cause I didn't understand it either and am glad you clarified it. And I am really glad to know what LPG is--I had no clue, but didn't want to ask cause I didn't want to admit I had no clue.

lol more common in US is CNG compressed natural gas however in Australia. Liquid Petroleum Gas is common, all taxis use it. but the carburettion systems are the same i think.

sKilled
04-20-2006, 11:58 PM
Only major downside is that you loose a lot of power (about a good third to half of your horsepower). This is why the New Zealand Police cruise around on LPG, but have a switch mounted on the dash to switch to petrol for a high speed getaway. The switch should be mounted somewhere on the inside where you can reach it, as you will need the extra HP to overtake etc. Also, the tank will fill a good 1/4 of your boot (trunk). Also adds weight. However, the total savings make up for the drawbacks (including the horrid smell of LPG exhaust - ewwww).

Paul in NZ
04-21-2006, 02:16 AM
I beleive if done properly LPG is almost as good as petrol,i am sure it has been done many times.However the tanks do take up space,and i beleive you must retain petrol for starting,and it is adviseable to run on petrol regularly.
Isnt propane the same as LPG?

632 Regal
04-21-2006, 04:49 AM
Yes

Isnt propane the same as LPG?

efxview
04-22-2006, 12:13 PM
LPG is a blend of propane and butane principally.

efxview
04-22-2006, 12:17 PM
And it is not less powerful, do not confuse with CNG

rob101
04-22-2006, 05:03 PM
And it is not less powerful, do not confuse with CNG
yes it is, it displaces the air in the manifold because it is almost universally injected as a gas, liquid injection is in the pipeline, but the injectors are extremely expensive and they are not currently on any road cars. Ford falcons were bought out in a LPG only version , and they were 20 hp or so down on their petrol sucking cousins, but taxi drivers don't care. :p