PDA

View Full Version : Koni sport installation

saluki540i
04-19-2006, 01:27 PM
Since I am basically rebuilding the entire front suspension on the 540, I decided to pop for Koni Sport adjustables. Who's got them out there and were there any tricks to setting them up along with the installation front and rear? Thought about buying the Dinan springs, but figure I'll leave the ride height alone for the time being. I really don't drive the old girl like that anyway. Also, found a torn motor mount on the driver side when I removed the front crossmembers for powder coating. I thought there was more vibration than I remembered.

gale
04-19-2006, 03:33 PM
Good choice, you'll really like them. No real tricks to the install, I just put a set in mine a few weeks ago. The fronts go in just like any other strut insert. They come with the adjuster knob and the top of the valve adjust stem protrudes slightly above the tip of the strut rod under the black plastic cap, have to pop the caps off to adjust them. I installed mine +1/2 turn more firm than full soft, seems to be a good place to start. Super easy to adjust them any time you want.

The rears weren't any trick either to install. The only downside is you have to remove the rears to adjust them. I installed them at the full soft setting. Setting the rear valves was counter-intuitive. To adjust them, you clamp the tip of the rod in a vise (vise-grips would prolly work too). Push the rod down fully compressed and rotate it slightly to feel for when it engages in the valve seat. I forget where they were set when the came new in the box. I mistakenly set them at full firm -- obvious to tell the difference by how hard/easy it is to extend the rod manually. I reset the rears to full soft since at that setting they were way firmer than the near-new Boge automatics I just took off.

That's it. You're all set -- enjoy!

Check my webpage for generic info on how to do them if you need any more info:

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_2.htm

ps, I did the fronts first & drove for a week before doing the rears. I can't explain it but after doing the rears, the ride became smoother than with just the fronts, even tho the rear Koni's at full-soft are firmer than the stock Boges -- go figure??

As for the Dinan springs, the Koni's will work just fine with either stock or mildly lower springs. I have M-tech's on mine all around and when I did the fronts, I swapped took out the 10mm upper spring pad & used 3mm pads top & bottom. Already cut the bump stops in half from a former Bilstein/BavAuto setup (very bad combo!). I also cut 1/4 turn of the top coil & 1/8 turn of the bottom coil on the front M-tech's -- sits just right now and has no impact on ride quality and never bottoms out.

saluki540i
04-20-2006, 07:48 AM
I'm thinking a little harder about the Dinans now too.

Robin-535im
04-20-2006, 09:04 AM
Don - we'll have to go get lunch some time next time you've got the 7 out and about. I've been wanting to experiment with my rear koni's but taking them off is more time than I have for just an experiment... Basically it's the rear shock bolt, the upper three 13mm'ers, then have to compress the tower and take out the shock, right?

BTW - back to the thread... I've got koni adj's on the 535 and they're great. Installation is same as any other, but as Don said, pick your rear firmness before installation. I have my fronts at 50% and would like to try the rears there too. If you're going for a sporty setup, make sure you pick the setting for the rear before putting it in!

gale
04-20-2006, 03:01 PM
Don - we'll have to go get lunch some time next time you've got the 7 out and about.

Lunch is good, I'll give you a call in the morning. Did Manny finish your truck?

Cheers!

Don

gale
04-20-2006, 03:07 PM
I'm thinking a little harder about the Dinans now too.

Dinan springs or Dinan-modd'ed Koni's or both. I think he takes off-the-shelf Koni's and then diddles with the valving, not sure what all he does to them. Dinan's springs are quite good from every report I've read. Expect a 1/2" to 3/4" drop with them. You might even be able to get Dinan's rear Koni's with external adjustment so you don't have to remove them to adjust them, that would be a much better way to go & worth the extra cost.

Speeder 553
04-20-2006, 03:13 PM
Since I am basically rebuilding the entire front suspension on the 540, I decided to pop for Koni Sport adjustables. Who's got them out there and were there any tricks to setting them up along with the installation front and rear? Thought about buying the Dinan springs, but figure I'll leave the ride height alone for the time being. I really don't drive the old girl like that anyway. Also, found a torn motor mount on the driver side when I removed the front crossmembers for powder coating. I thought there was more vibration than I remembered.

I got the Eibach ProKit Springs with my Koni Sports and wow is it a great set up. I can take corners now at speed and it feels like I'm riding on a rail. This combo is awesome! :D

Robin-535im
04-20-2006, 03:19 PM
Lunch is good, I'll give you a call in the morning. Did Manny finish your truck?

Cheers!

Don
Phase I is done, so the body is all painted and ready but I'm working on Phase II, which is the fender wells and front clip. Gonna paint them black so that except for the engine itself, the engine compartment, body and front clip will be "better" than brand new.

Gayle
04-20-2006, 06:47 PM
I am sorry. I am just posting this to be mean. I just can't stop myself. I will make a disclaimer that if I had chosen my suspension rather than my cars prior owner choosing it, I would have selected konis. With that said, did you see this thread?

Buggered Koni... again... Parental advisory: explicit language within... (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=20908)

And did you see these video clips of leaking konis?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/interalian/th_113-1371_MVI.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v11/interalian/?action=view&current=113-1371_MVI.flv)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/interalian/th_113-1372_MVI.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v11/interalian/?action=view&current=113-1372_MVI.flv)

gale
04-20-2006, 07:46 PM
. . . I am just posting this to be mean. I just can't stop myself. . . did you see these video clips of leaking konis?

Guess we have to put up with the naysayers on every forum (sigh) :p

Did you not read Koni-NA's fine print: "Lifetime Guarantee"?

Jon K
04-20-2006, 08:00 PM
Bilstein has a lifetime too :)

I've seen 3 Koni shocks leak, 2 E36 M3s and an E34. All front left shocks. Thank god they hav ea lifetime warranty - though I wouldn't want to have to replace my leaky shocks as a regular maintenance :)

Only ever saw one Bilstein failure and that was in Alan S car... other than that, nada.

Gayle
04-21-2006, 04:24 AM
Bilstein has a lifetime too :)

I've seen 3 Koni shocks leak, 2 E36 M3s and an E34. All front left shocks. Thank god they hav ea lifetime warranty - though I wouldn't want to have to replace my leaky shocks as a regular maintenance :)

Only ever saw one Bilstein failure and that was in Alan S car... other than that, nada.

What about Jeff's string of Bilstein failures? And isn't Bilstein known for being awful to deal with on warranty issues. I remember Whit saying they couldn't even observe their shops customary procedures of cleaning parts before mailing them back because Bilstein would use that as an excuse not to honor the warranty.

Martin in Bellevue
04-21-2006, 04:31 AM
...I've seen 3 Koni shocks leak, 2 E36 M3s and an E34. All front left shocks...
Erik (Maxibello) has a leaky front Koni. His Koni's are only a couple months old with H&R springs & fixed camber plates.

632 Regal
04-21-2006, 05:03 AM
Jon has me on ignore...lol

What about Jeff's string of Bilstein failures? And isn't Bilstein known for being awful to deal with on warranty issues. I remember Whit saying they couldn't even observe their shops customary procedures of cleaning parts before mailing them back because Bilstein would use that as an excuse not to honor the warranty.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
04-21-2006, 05:04 AM
Guess we have to put up with the naysayers on every forum (sigh) :p

Did you not read Koni-NA's fine print: "Lifetime Guarantee"?

Hardly naysaying Don, just facts (albeit a small sample size). In hindsight, perhaps, the language could have been toned down but, for the purpose of illuminating my frustration and annoyance, it served my needs.

For update, the shock has now dumped its entire contents (took about 2 days). The last day it leaked, about half a pint of fluid was on my garage floor. The car now rides like a Robin Reliant (3 wheeler) - hardly safe, but my trips are short (15km round).

The dealer from whom the Konis were purchased is bringing in a replacement for which I will pay, expectant of a refund once the defective shock is examined for warranty.

A lifetime guarantee may sound good on the surface but by the time you factor in R&R cost and intangibles it ends up rebating only a small fraction of the total cost of replacement.

For the record, Koni does not support lifetime warranty on parts Dinan modifies, you only have Steve's 2 year on them. Whatever twiddling is done voids Koni's warranty. I had a Stage 1 setup on the M5 which suffered a broken spring (within warranty - they gave me another pair which I sold) and a failed Koni damper (out of warranty but with only ~30,000kms).

My car is not subject to any unusual driving, nor are Calgary roads seriously pothole riddled. Of course we have the odd one but not bad really. I don't recall even hitting any of note.