PDA

View Full Version : Ticking noise

Jer
04-19-2006, 01:05 PM
Over the winter I took out my 535 engine and changed all the gaskets. I noticed the engine now has a ticking sound that I have never noticed before. Two things are different I installed bosch platinum 2's and I found out that this engine has three different timing gear and oil pump gear combinations. I used a larger gear and chain on the oil pump. Could either of these cause the noise? I also think when the engine is at TDC the valves on #1 are not open all the way. Could that be the noise? Where should I start? The engine has a slight miss at idol.

Kalevera
04-19-2006, 01:10 PM
What gaskets were changed?

joshua43214
04-19-2006, 01:47 PM
If you put a larger gear on the oil pump, it would run slower, and provide less oil volume. Not really sure what logic led to changing from stock configuration. I have had very bad luck with Bosch platinums sourced from the aftermarket, try a set of NGK's or get OE if you got aftermarket bosch's for the misfire. Or possible you still have an oil leak into one of the plug holes causing arcing from the plug boots. year and engine version would be helpful.

Jer
04-20-2006, 11:05 AM
I changed all the engine gaskets from the head to the pan. There is no logic to the larger oil gear. I did not discover it was larger until I tried to put the chain on. I had a the two chains and wanted to get the engine back together. I relized it would pump the oil slower but did not think It would tick.