PDA

View Full Version : Please help: VERY stubborn brake dust

Jay 535i
04-19-2006, 11:17 AM
Okay, so my Style 5 rims are back on after a year of storage and the car is fresh from the detailer.

Foolishly, I neglected to clean off my summer rims before storing them for the winter. Now two of them have some caked-on brake dust that my detailer couldn't get off.

It's on there really good. I can scratch it off with a fingernail, but all my detailer's potions and lotions failed to make a dent. He was using metal polish, which I explained to him was not ideal because the rims are clearcoated. But what is ideal? What will get this crap off?

Thanks!

dacoyote
04-19-2006, 11:19 AM
Okay, so my Style 5 rims are back on after a year of storage and the car is fresh from the detailer.

Foolishly, I neglected to clean off my summer rims before storing them for the winter. Now two of them have some caked-on brake dust that my detailer couldn't get off.

It's on there really good. I can scratch it off with a fingernail, but all my detailer's potions and lotions failed to make a dent. He was using metal polish, which I explained to him was not ideal because the rims are clearcoated. But what is ideal? What will get this crap off?

Thanks!

Pressure washer maybe??? it could kill the clearcoat....

Jay 535i
04-19-2006, 11:21 AM
I'm thinking the best thing would be something that will dissolve the brake dust.

Is there anything that will do that without dissolving the wheel?

dacoyote
04-19-2006, 11:25 AM
I'm thinking the best thing would be something that will dissolve the brake dust.

soda??? isn't that suppost to clean everything?

DaCan23
04-19-2006, 11:25 AM
If you find one, let me know, I've tried many things on that type of dust, but my thinking was that it stuck like that because the clear coat had deteriorated...

Jay 535i
04-19-2006, 11:28 AM
The clearcoat may indeed have deteriorated.

But like I said, I can scratch it off with my finger. So it's not IMPOSSIBLE to get off, in theory.

Russell
04-19-2006, 11:29 AM
Autopia or Roadfly detailing forums may have an answer. I have used clay to remove brake dust in the past. However, it is a lot of work.

Jay 535i
04-19-2006, 11:31 AM
Clay bar, hmm. I might try that.

How 'bout this:

http://www.autogeek.net/meg36wheelcl.html

Except it says that it's too strong for uncoated aluminium, and my clearcoat is chipped in places...

How 'bout a steam cleaner?

This stuff looks good too, but will it work?

http://www.topoftheline.com/32ozwheeltir.html

There are tons of products that claim to remove stubborn brake dust, but I'd like to know what's worked well for other people on particularly stubborn brake dust.

jjw
04-19-2006, 12:46 PM
Carb cleaner works wonders, just becareful, it will also take off stick on weights without much trouble.

Alexlind123
04-19-2006, 01:01 PM
Grow your fingernails out.

joshua43214
04-19-2006, 01:51 PM
Use a wooden scraper. or like the previouse poster said, carb cleaner, but get it off fast, it can eat the coating.

zygoteer
04-19-2006, 02:00 PM

I sucessfully used domestic dish-washer liquid, I left it on for about 5 mins before pressure washing it off.
That got about 99% of it then used a cloth-applied kitchen cleaner by hand on the residual.

E34 530
04-19-2006, 02:03 PM
Did you try simple green??

GS535i
04-19-2006, 02:15 PM
Try a spray bottle of your favourite blue glass cleaner ( eg, Windex) and a hose: wet a trial spot down well with the glass cleaner .... wait a min. or so .... and hose off.
The mild alkaline action of the aqueous ammonia often does the trick ....

Gayle
04-19-2006, 06:29 PM
P21S wheel cleaner is ok for clear coats. It is supposed to sit on there for a couple of hours before you rinse it off. I would try it before trying something more drastic.

P21S (http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/catalog/car_care/P21S.htm)

Roadfly on detailing wheels (http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/detailing/forum.php?postid=1555149&page=8)

Roadfly readers like Eagle but have warnings (http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/detailing/forum.php?postid=1555149&page=8)

shanek
04-19-2006, 07:01 PM
I used Nevr-Dull on mine. It takes a lot of work but it made my rims look like new. Its a wadding polish so you have to polish your rim with it really well and then buff it out with a clean cloth. I've used it a couple times and am very impressed with the result. No polish or cleaner I've used even came close. It comes in a blue can and you can get it at Canadian Tire for $8.99.
This is what it looks like.
http://www.nevrdull.com/

Reidal
04-21-2006, 04:47 PM
I know a couple of detailers who swear by screen washer additive. We have a brand name here "Bars Bugs" which trhey both use for cleaning mags and getting them to shine.

Regards

Reid

Speeder 553
04-21-2006, 09:04 PM
I know a couple of detailers who swear by screen washer additive. We have a brand name here "Bars Bugs" which trhey both use for cleaning mags and getting them to shine.

Regards

Reid

What is it and where do you buy it??

uscharalph
04-21-2006, 10:14 PM

Thanks!
The Armor All wheel cleaner worked pretty well on my bottlecaps.

mamilapon
04-21-2006, 10:22 PM

Thanks!
Have you guys heard of Prist glass cleaner? Its a spray pack and sprays almost into a foam. This should work.

sKilled
04-22-2006, 01:38 AM
Try a spray bottle of your favourite blue glass cleaner ( eg, Windex) and a hose: wet a trial spot down well with the glass cleaner .... wait a min. or so .... and hose off.
The mild alkaline action of the aqueous ammonia often does the trick ....
Put some windex on it. Got a rash? Put some windex on it. Blisters? Windex.

genphreak
04-22-2006, 01:46 AM
The Armor All wheel cleaner worked pretty well on my bottlecaps.Degreaser with a stiff nylon brush works very well indeed. Car washing liquid and a good rinse to get that off before it has a chance to affect the clear coat.

A nice polish afterwards protects the surface, once it is that clean, anything will stick to it...

grease
04-22-2006, 09:23 AM
wheel acid, I know everyone says it damages the wheels but I have never had a problem. Dilute the stuff with water, 70% acid 30% h2o and let sit for about 10 seconds, then brush off with soapy water and a semi-stiff brush. I use this stuff called wheel wonder and it really is a wonder. I am not sure if you ca get it in small quanities, at my shop we get it in 60 gallon drums. I used it on (100% strength) a 10 year old mercedes wheel (painted and clear coated) and literally just blasted it off with a hose. AMAZING, hopefully you find something that helps, if not it's elbow grease.

shanek
04-23-2006, 09:16 AM
Wheel acid does work really well but I tried it on mine and it made a mess of the polished lip, it made it very dull. Luckily I only tested it on a small section of 1 rim. We use it at work diluted 5:1 and it is amazing on painted rims as long as you rinse it all off right away but I would never use it on anything with a polished lip.