PDA

View Full Version : vibration from flywheel perhaps?

marckula
04-19-2006, 09:40 AM
just had the clutch replaced and trans mounts replaced in my 95 540i 6p. the trans shop also resurfaced the dm flywheel. they said the flywhee was slightly convex before they flattened it out. they also said that the pilot bearing was 'loose' in the middle of the flywheel, they believe it should be a press fit - would this be an indication that the flywheel is off balance?. also they indicated that my engine mounts are shot and need to be replaced.

that said, the car now vibrates around 2k rpm - the vibration is strongest when the clutch is disengaged, with the clutch engages it's slightly less. it's an m60 engine so replacing the mounts is a pita and replacing the flywheel is a costly endeavour.

could it also be a problem with the ignitions system? i replaced the plugs last year.

suggestions / feedback? should i get those engine mounts replaced first before the flywheel?

bfd
04-19-2006, 10:28 AM
Yow, there appears to be a couple of issues here. First, was the dual mass flywheel properly machined? If not, then you'll need to pull it and replace.

If it was properly machined, then it sounds like who ever installed it didn't do it correctly, i.e., something like pilot bearing wasn't installed right or something might not have been properly greased.

The only way to tell is to pull the whole thing - which sucks!

I'm not sure about the 540i, but if you decide to pull the whole thing and its the flywheel, could you not replace every with E28 parts? An E28 flywheel, which is not dual mass, is lighter, cheaper, and will allow your engine to rev faster. Further, the E28 clutch kit is cheaper too. If you can use it, that would probably be the way to go.

If your engine mounts are shot, you should replace those too. Good Luck!