PDA

View Full Version : And, as I thought it was getting better...

sKilled
04-19-2006, 12:04 AM
...I lost control on a gravel road. Fish tailed across the slick mud (council didn't spread enough gravel - cheapskates) and bounced up on an embankement. Tore of front bumper - totaled one fog light and mounting. Tore rear bumber half off. And worst of all, bent what I shall call front cross memeber. I do not quite know how bad the damage is, will throw myself under the car tomorrow as I am busy drowning my sorrows in alcomahol. Pictures to follow. Would appreciate greatly any and all advice that you guys could give. On the good side, I was able to drive her home (50 odd k's). Must go and drink now...:(

pundit
04-19-2006, 12:34 AM
...I am busy drowning my sorrows in alcomahol...:(
Sounds like you've already poured plenty of it down-yer-hole!! ;)

sKilled
04-19-2006, 12:44 AM
Go de scotsh...*hic*

Paul in NZ
04-19-2006, 01:08 AM
get hold of Brent,he will have parts

sKilled
04-19-2006, 01:45 AM
Thanks Paul - will do once I know the full extent of the damage. hope it's not fatal. As long as it passes its next warrant eh!

onewhippedpuppy
04-19-2006, 03:34 AM
BFH + more of said alcohol, you'll be fine.

Jon K
04-19-2006, 04:36 AM
...I lost control on a gravel road. Fish tailed across the slick mud (council didn't spread enough gravel - cheapskates) and bounced up on an embankement. Tore of front bumper - totaled one fog light and mounting. Tore rear bumber half off. And worst of all, bent what I shall call front cross memeber. I do not quite know how bad the damage is, will throw myself under the car tomorrow as I am busy drowning my sorrows in alcomahol. Pictures to follow. Would appreciate greatly any and all advice that you guys could give. On the good side, I was able to drive her home (50 odd k's). Must go and drink now...:(

So Skilled

GoldenOne
04-19-2006, 04:44 AM
So Skilled
isnt that a low blow?

SchnellE34
04-19-2006, 05:38 AM
isnt that a low blow?

Yes it was but still gave me a good laugh. Sorry to hear about the accident sKilled.

sKilled
04-19-2006, 02:58 PM
The s is in lower caps - from my paintball forum days. Sometimes youre sKilled, sometimes your Killed. I guess it was the latter. Feel like crap, but starting to get over it. Will post some pics later today.

Nick.Hay
04-19-2006, 08:55 PM
Bugger... Thats **** man!!

Can forum member PLEASE stop crashing their rides!!! :D

First the 'pancake, now you... Anyone else??

sKilled
04-19-2006, 11:18 PM
Here's a pic of the worst damaged bit. The bumperr is shattered, but nothing some plastic welding and imaginative use of fiberglass can't fix.

Would love to get some advice in regards of how to fix this, as it has forced the radiator up almost an inch. Didn't damage it though (lucky me).

sKilled
04-20-2006, 11:25 PM
*bump*

632 Regal
04-21-2006, 04:56 AM
can that part be unbolted and replaced? If not I think any body shop could pull it back into position.

sKilled
04-21-2006, 02:50 PM
Can be replaced I think, but costs about $400 NZD. Will try to bend it back into shape with the help of some mates. But if anyone knows a better way, please post. Thankyou for your help and support guys and gals. I wouldn't be as calm as I am now if I didn't have such reliable friends as you (yes I consider forum mebers friends - if in New Zealand you are always welcome to drop in for a cup of coffee and a chat).

632 Regal
04-21-2006, 03:35 PM
id need an invite to just get there, and a recommendation to have me open shop there for an evaluation period then after 5-10 years I might be able to bcome a resident... much difft than the USA where we inport aliens and give them money, food and tax breaks.

Can be replaced I think, but costs about $400 NZD. Will try to bend it back into shape with the help of some mates. But if anyone knows a better way, please post. Thankyou for your help and support guys and gals. I wouldn't be as calm as I am now if I didn't have such reliable friends as you (yes I consider forum mebers friends - if in New Zealand you are always welcome to drop in for a cup of coffee and a chat).

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-21-2006, 03:45 PM
(Portapower) to press the piece back into shape, or an few bottle jacks and blocks of wood for support.

It's a nice slow process of pushing the body parts back into shape, by moving the jack/ram here and there to press out the dents and crushed areas while bracing it carefully with wood, carpet and even building pilars.

632 Regal
04-21-2006, 03:49 PM
whatcha talkin bout Willis?

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-21-2006, 03:53 PM
It's a hydrolic ram with all kinds of extenstions, shoes and doo dads.

use it to push out dents and tweek frames.

Kalevera
04-21-2006, 03:57 PM
I have one of those. Used it on seat rails once.

Anyway, that tray is replaceable. I wonder if the front frame rails were bent, though. Get it on an alignment rack before doing anything.

best, whit

sKilled
04-22-2006, 12:47 AM
Thanks whit - but what if they are bent? Is that fatal? Or can they just be bent back into shape?

Robin-535im
04-22-2006, 06:20 AM
Thanks whit - but what if they are bent? Is that fatal? Or can they just be bent back into shape?
Depends on how far. Ask me how I know - my last e34 was considered "totalled" after they straightened them and the metal fatigued and cracked at the bend.

Little bends are okay but it doesn't take much, especially if it's kinked about a certain point. Even if it rips when they straighten it you can still repair it, but the official BMW way is to pull that part of the frame and install a new part that has no bend - they don't consider small area weld repairs to maintain the proper behavior w.r.t safety, etc. That can be mucho $$ if they have to pull the engine and weld in a new front frame! A good bodyshop can help you find the cheapest path to an acceptable solution, even if it violated the "BMW way".

- Robin