PDA

View Full Version : ::.. A little fact and opinion about synthetic oils...

Qube
04-18-2006, 08:29 PM
I'm just going to do a full cut and paste comment. Let me know what you think on it's accuracy...

================================================== ===
Gee you guys really think those cheap sync are FULL sync?

FYI, those are group3 sync. Its not true sync. Its more like sync blend. And franky it doesnt do any better than conventional oil. So DO NOT WASTE your money on cheap sync oil at CrappyTire

Mobil1 is group4, even they advertise as 100% full sync but technically they're not. However they're the cheapest for sync on the market.

Castrol syntec is only comparable to Mobil1 if its made in Germany. But many stores sell made in USA Syntec and those arent group4.

The ONLY true sync oil you can get is from performance shop, such as RedLine, Motul, Neo, Royal Purple and those arent cheap, but very expensive.

Mobil1 is the most popular one due to great distribution. You can pretty much get it everywhere.

To me, i will rank oil as the following order:

Full sync: Royal Purple (no doubt)
Group4 sync: Mobil1 ( not to mention it cost only little more than conventional)
Conventional: Castol GTX ( lol again no doubt)
================================================== ===

Zeuk in Oz
04-18-2006, 09:40 PM
This was a post that BigKriss posted in WOT a little while ago.
Worth a read :
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=18772&highlight=oil

rob101
04-19-2006, 02:01 AM
what about castrol edge? do you people get that in the US of A? I am pretty sure they introduced it into UK as well as australia. anyway i put some 0W-40 in a couple of weeks ago, its good so far. it has a Long Life BMW classification as well, and since its slightly cheaper than 0W-40 mobil 1 i think it is a good alternative

NovceGuru
04-19-2006, 03:41 AM
So if you take the oil filler cap off and it looks like it's covered in vanilla yoghurt or mayonnaise, you've got a blown head gasket.

This can also be caused by lots of short trips and not letting your car warm up, especially with a faulty thermostat....

NovceGuru

Edit: That came from reading the oil bible article.

ryan roopnarine
04-19-2006, 05:00 AM
i guess someone forgot to telll pennzoil that their pennzoil platinum full syn isn't group 5. go to www.bobistheoilguy.com if you want to ponder the things suggested in your posting.