PDA

View Full Version : Door Panel Woes...

NovceGuru
04-18-2006, 03:53 PM
Well, the time has come to do some post winter maintainence. I've noticed a little rust on the outside of my door...
http://jsreedinc.com/~novceguru/rust/IM000374.jpg

OK so this doesn't look that bad...

http://jsreedinc.com/~novceguru/rust/IM000375.jpg

ZOMG! it is bad :-(

http://jsreedinc.com/~novceguru/rust/IM000378.jpg

Yes thats the door skin spreading apart.

Close your eyes...

http://jsreedinc.com/~novceguru/rust/IM000380.jpg

OK. There is some structual damage to the inside door skin, and upon digging around with a pick there's a hole that goes clear though the door. Let me know if i'm on the right path, I plan on pulling my inside door panel off so I can have better access, sandblasting/filling/fiberglassing/whatever is needed to get it's structual integrity back, then priming/painting and hopefully blending a decent match. Do I need to prime the metal before filling/fiberglassing? Also does anybody know what kind of glue BMW uses to hold the door skins together? Thanks,

NovceGuru

genphreak
04-18-2006, 04:18 PM
That's salt. You will have to clean everything bare, then clean with lots of water to remove the salt from inside the door. (it comes off the glass and ends up at the bottom). Then dry fast in low humidity environment and hit with de-oxidant and rust-converter. Then undercoat and top-coats. No black metal, all shiny. It will still rust but take longer. You need to replace the door to fix it properly. :( Nick

632 Regal
04-18-2006, 04:37 PM
from the different colors it looks like it was repaired once already.

dacoyote
04-18-2006, 04:40 PM
looks like my doors did

NovceGuru
04-18-2006, 04:51 PM
from the different colors it looks like it was repaired once already.

That was my futile pre-winter attempt with rust killer. I've scalled and sanded what is there now and have soaked it with rust converter for now, hopefully this weekend I can tackle this project. What de-oxidant do I need? Also do you guys have a good source for auto paint? Carquest seems to be a rip off. I got an A on a pottery project in art class, i'm sure bondo/fiberglass isn't much different :P I've done fiberglass repairs on my Peugeot, they didn't turn out bad. I'll take pics during the whole process for everyone to point out my novice mistakes :)

NovceGuru
04-18-2006, 04:58 PM
looks like my doors did

Ohio weather is just lovely isn't it ;)

genphreak
04-18-2006, 05:12 PM
That was my futile pre-winter attempt with rust killer. I've scalled and sanded what is there now and have soaked it with rust converter for now, hopefully this weekend I can tackle this project. What de-oxidant do I need? Also do you guys have a good source for auto paint? Carquest seems to be a rip off. I got an A on a pottery project in art class, i'm sure bondo/fiberglass isn't much different :P I've done fiberglass repairs on my Peugeot, they didn't turn out bad. I'll take pics during the whole process for everyone to point out my novice mistakes :)I'd buy new doors, there are lots available atm- you can strip the parts you don't use and sell them off. Once the rust starts in a seam like that ti goes all the way along. The idea is not to let it start. I don't know why salt is allowed on a road, you guys should hang ur politicians for destroying your rides cos they are too cheap to clear the roads or enforce studed tyres. Its just damned unnecessary and bloody minded approach to winter road maintenance...

NovceGuru
04-18-2006, 05:16 PM
Yes...salt does suck, I wish my car hadn't been dipped in it by the PO's or it would never see it. I'm not really in the financial situation for new doors ATM but will be in a few months, maybe i'll just rough it until then, although my car looks pretty funny missing the lower door trim :)

genphreak
04-18-2006, 05:19 PM
Yes...salt does suck, I wish my car hadn't been dipped in it by the PO's or it would never see it. I'm not really in the financial situation for new doors ATM but will be in a few months, maybe i'll just rough it until then, although my car looks pretty funny missing the lower door trim :)I'm sure one of the guys on this forum stripping a 525 would help u out- have u been onto them? Doors doon't always go very fast...

Kalevera
04-18-2006, 07:16 PM
Yes...salt does suck, I wish my car hadn't been dipped in it by the PO's or it would never see it. I'm not really in the financial situation for new doors ATM but will be in a few months, maybe i'll just rough it until then, although my car looks pretty funny missing the lower door trim :)
My friend Ian is in Warren, Ohio and constantly has doors for sale for little money. On the order of $50 for the whole thing.

www.neobmwbreakers.com

best, whit

632 Regal
04-18-2006, 07:53 PM
I redid the race car doors, worse than that tho. Tore them apart, sanded the loose rust, treated with that converter ****, fiberglassed inside and out, sanded, treated the inside with gear oil, sanded the outside again, primed, painted. Lasted 10 years no residual rust coming back.

The can am wheel well rust is another story as I cant get in there to clean the thing up good. Its all about the preporation.

Moondog
04-19-2006, 04:51 AM
I have a similar situation with my doors. I have replacement doors from a southern car getting repainted at the body shop right now. Once I get them back, is there anything recommended that I can coat the inside of the doors with to help them resist salt and moisture? The amount of salt on Wisconsin roads is ridiculous during the winter...