PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering/Servo pump replacing

mitch2k
04-18-2006, 02:16 PM
Since some time the steering on my '93 525TD Touring goes very difficult. The servo/power steering (how do u call it in english?) does almost nothing anymore..
Refilling the fluid doesn't change anything, so i'm gonna replace the servo pump. I got myself an used pump for 50 euros at the local garage. Now i'm not really sure how the thing is placed. My dad had a quick look at the original pump before, and thought the one I brought home today was to small, but he was'nt sure.
Can someone tell me I have the right pump? :D . And maybe someone has an technical picture/blueprint on how the pump is exactly installed?

Thank you very much guys!

joshua43214
04-18-2006, 02:29 PM
Hard to say, there should be 2 pumps available depending on if you have self leveling or not. They are both small pumps so maybe hold them up against each other.

Make sure you use the correct fluid, some may take the mineral oil based stuff instead of trans fluid.

Bill R.
04-18-2006, 03:41 PM
touring would have the self leveling rear suspension which takes the tandem pump like this.. Its got a second spacer right in the middle with another pump there..http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/750pump.jpg

Since some time the steering on my '93 525TD Touring goes very difficult. The servo/power steering (how do u call it in english?) does almost nothing anymore..
Refilling the fluid doesn't change anything, so i'm gonna replace the servo pump. I got myself an used pump for 50 euros at the local garage. Now i'm not really sure how the thing is placed. My dad had a quick look at the original pump before, and thought the one I brought home today was to small, but he was'nt sure.
Can someone tell me I have the right pump? :D . And maybe someone has an technical picture/blueprint on how the pump is exactly installed?

Thank you very much guys!

shogun
04-18-2006, 04:53 PM
As you are from Belgium, ask here where to get one, also see Market where you can ask for a quote
http://www.e34.de/

emw525E34
04-19-2006, 07:22 AM
If yours is a 525TD rather than 524TD, it will need a tandem pump. The picture BillR post would be the right one. You can inspect the existing pump (if you can pull it out).

Loosen the PS belt first, get that off. Then the banjo bolts off it. Use a large catch-can to hold the flowing fluid. It will get very messy. Those banjos will be tough to unbolt. Then the mounting bolts would be just as hard. Use WD40 for 15 mins soak, then go for it.
I would remove the PS reservior first too clear the fluid. Time to clean that as well. Good Luck.

mitch2k
04-19-2006, 12:28 PM
Ok, if I got time tomorow i'm gonna take a look to see of the pumps are matching, otherwise gotta go back to the dealer... Then I can place it this weekend...

I have CHF fluid. I guess this is ok?

mitch2k
04-20-2006, 01:49 AM
Took a pic of the original pomp... It look like they match...
Hope I have time this weekend to place it.. I sucks to drive without power steering :D

Onyone can confirm if "Pennol central hydrolycs fluid" is ok?

mitch2k
05-01-2006, 08:30 AM
Just replaced the pump, and it was harder then I thought it would be... But it works like charm now...

I've did an autopsy on the old pump, and it was a rubber joint that leaked..

mitch2k
06-22-2006, 08:33 PM
Just replaced the pump, and it was harder then I thought it would be... But it works like charm now...

I've did an autopsy on the old pump, and it was a rubber joint that leaked..

Hey folks,

After 2 weeks of driving, the 'new' pump is broken allready :( . And is has the same symptoms as the previous pump... Leaking steering fluid, and making a noise like hell. So I guess this joint is also broken..

What could this be? I guess there is something different wrong in the system. Maybe overpressure or something that makes the joint break?

I don't feel like replacing my servo pump every 2 weeks ;)

Thanks for the help!

BillionPa
06-22-2006, 09:58 PM
could be a broken steering box causing overpressure