PDA

View Full Version : Coolant in my car?! Help!

CharlesAFerg
04-18-2006, 06:12 AM
I have been getting this fog on my windows when my heat turns off that won't leave... It's greasy like oil but very thin and keeps coming back after cleaning. Is it coolant leaking from the heater core? This can't be healthy...
-Charles

DaCan23
04-18-2006, 06:16 AM
Yup, if you have kids in the car, its definitely hazardous to them, if its just started you can "live" with the leak for a bit.

I have been getting this fog on my windows when my heat turns off that won't leave... It's greasy like oil but very thin and keeps coming back after cleaning. Is it coolant leaking from the heater core? This can't be healthy...
-Charles

CharlesAFerg
04-18-2006, 06:18 AM
Yup, if you have kids in the car, its definitely hazardous to them, if its just started you can "live" with the leak for a bit.

Hmm, well its been there but I didn't notice, but it wasn't really bad until recently, my windows are all fogged up,and I JUST cleaned them 3 days ago... Holy ****.
-Charles

Qube
04-18-2006, 06:18 AM
-Charles

Woohoo! Sounds like ye old heater core leaking... okay go ahead and do a search on that ;)

shanek
04-18-2006, 06:05 PM
Either bypass the heater core or get it fixed. Mine had been leaking for about 3 weeks when it failed completely. I didn't have a place indoors to work on it so I was waiting until it warmed up a bit so I could fix it myself. I pulled into the parking lot at work, was wipeing my windows when I hear a ding and see the engine temp warning. It dumped all the coolant, luckily on the ground and not in the car but not fun and very expensive. I had to get my car towed to the dealer. Its a pretty common problem. Like Qube said, do a search and you should find all the info you need.

NovceGuru
04-18-2006, 06:12 PM
Could this be similar to the fog I get in my car when it sits in the sun all day when its like 20 degrees outside? Or the random foggy windows? I never checked to see if it was oily or anything, just blasted the defrost on high and it was gone...I do leak about 1/2 a quart of antifreeze a week but I was sure that was through my expansion tank that needs to be replaced...Also the other day I was running my AC and it causes condensation on the outside of my windshield, never have seen this before either. Any ideas?

shogun
04-18-2006, 06:25 PM
Coolant smells.
Have you changed the microfilter already?
And check the drain holes under the car which are under the heater core in the floor of the car, the water/moisture should have a free drain down to the bottom.

NovceGuru
04-18-2006, 06:28 PM
It doesn't smell like coolant, I haven't checked the drain holes (except the one on my passenger door, that the rust has moderately expanded :P ) I plan on doing my microfilter asap, we'll see after that.

shogun
04-18-2006, 06:58 PM
Probably the evaporated water stays in the car and does not drain out to the floor. Also Microfilter might be full of moisture.
When you change the microfilter, pour some water under the heater core in the 'pan' there and it should come out under the car immy.

632 Regal
04-18-2006, 08:20 PM
I definetly dont recomend additives but prestone had some pellets that have seemed to help.

CharlesAFerg
04-18-2006, 08:25 PM
Hijacked! :-P lol
just kidding, my car smells sweet, so I would say definately coolant, lots of it. And it's not just fog, it's really greasy film around the fog that stays a little after the fog is gone, PARTICULARLY on the side windows, the front windows just get the grease fog above the vents. Blech.

Alexlind123
04-18-2006, 09:30 PM
Free advice: Pile some blankets into your car until you get it fixed.

2fast
04-18-2006, 09:49 PM
My heater core has been leaking for a year now I know when its winter cos my windows fog up:)