PDA

View Full Version : Do water pumps give a warning before they break?

Jersey General
04-17-2006, 11:29 AM
I have had a periodic high squealing sound, which is becomming more persistent. It started in late December. Originally I thought it was the drive belt. However the sound remained after I replaced the belt. I was considering changing the water pump. I was going to order the high performance water pump, and the aluminum housing. Of course I would rather not spend the money until I have too. Also I don't want to waste my time changing a perfectly good part. Any thoughts?

dacoyote
04-17-2006, 11:46 AM
repost :-)

genphreak
04-17-2006, 02:04 PM
repost :-)Usually noise, often leaks, sometimes they stop pumping (the impeller starts free-spinning regardless of the drive pulley; causing overheating problems immediately). Maybe someone else can enlighten you more... I'd use a stethescope to confirm it is the pump bearing first-even a long screwdriver might do if you don't have one. :) nick

winfred
04-17-2006, 02:09 PM
id do it now on a 525, usually when they go it's big and sometimes takes the radiator with it, any pump with a metal impeller except the brand geba will do fine, drill about a 1/8" hole in the thermostat and the bleeding will go smoothly

winfred
04-17-2006, 02:10 PM
while you have the belt off play with all of the rollers as one or more of them could be squeeling also

John in CT
04-17-2006, 04:02 PM
Mine gave exactly no warning, unless you count all the red lights on the dash!!! Remember to get the bolts (6mm??) which you srcew into the housing/block interface to pull the old pump out, also you can make the fan holding tool by grinding a big screwdriver if you can't get the real tool.

Good luck,

John
1995 525im

wingman
04-17-2006, 04:16 PM
With my E12 I suffered gradual coolant loss, decreased cooling (running at higher temperature) and a high pitched whining sound. I changed it before it died completely.

ahager
04-17-2006, 04:32 PM
I have done 5 water pumps (2 BMW, 1 Peugeot, 1 Suburban, 1 Opel); all showed the same sign - leaking coolant at the water pump shaft. GOOD LUCK!!!

Montreal525
04-17-2006, 06:11 PM
I had a warning, the dash went ding-ding to tell me : "engine temp" and the needle was smack in the red. I'd say about a 2 or 3 seconds warning...:(

2 years or 50000 miles is my new rule of thumb for w/p now...

Jeff

winfred
04-17-2006, 06:17 PM
that's the reason i said "id do it now on a 525", more often then not it just pukes and you get to see the "coolent temp" and flashing check engine light letting you know that you are minutes away from a head gasket or replacement head

I had a warning, the dash went ding-ding to tell me : "engine temp" and the needle was smack in the red. I'd say about a 2 or 3 seconds warning...:(

2 years or 50000 miles is my new rule of thumb for w/p now...

Jeff

NovceGuru
04-17-2006, 07:08 PM
I have done 5 water pumps (2 BMW, 1 Peugeot, 1 Suburban, 1 Opel); all showed the same sign - leaking coolant at the water pump shaft. GOOD LUCK!!!

Haha nice, what peugeot would that have been?

NovceGuru