PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky suspension and the too-honest mechanic

Jay 535i
04-17-2006, 10:28 AM
My car makes a horrible squeaking sound anytime I drive over bumps. It's much more noticeable from the outside of the car rather than the inside, and it sounds like grandma's couch.

My springs and shocks are new.

I posted this problem a few weeks ago and most of the replies I got suggested worn-out sway bar links.

So I took the car to my local independent mechanic, whom I know to be competent, honest and trustworthy. I asked him to identify the cause of the squeak, which I suspected was the sway bar links, and fix it -- whatever it is.

He came back to me and told me that all my suspension components seem fine, and that the squeaking is just because the car is old. He claims there's nothing he can do about it short of replacing everything, and I just have to accept it.

I trust him, but he's not a BMW expert and I'd still like to think the noises can be fixed.

Any thoughts? After I pick up the car tomorrow I'll post some audio clips of the squeak in case that helps. It sounds like your neighbors doing it on an old bed, or like a fat guy sitting on an old sofa. It's embarassing since I know pedestrians can hear it, and makes my car sound neglected, which it isn't. That doesn't seem fair :(

Kalevera
04-17-2006, 10:39 AM
Loose collar or strut rod nuts, erring on the strut nuts; difficult to replicate when the car is up in the air as the spring loads the strut insert, mount, and housing. When moving over a bump, the insert rattles around or the top nut rubs against the mount due to quick load changes. One quick and easy way to check the top nut is to walk up to the car and grab the tire at the top, see if exerting force on it will replicate the noise. It took me a half an hour of jumping around in the engine bay to learn that one.

best, whit

Jay 535i
04-17-2006, 10:43 AM
Thanks Whit. I almost understood all that ;)

You say "grab the tire". And do what with it, exactly?

I don't really know what a "collar" or "strut rod nut" is. Got a pic, from realoem, maybe?

If you're right, is fixing it as easy as tightening some stuff? Or is it a bigger job than that?

Many thanks for your help, as always.

Kalevera
04-17-2006, 11:31 AM
Hi Jay, sorry about that...a little disjointed today.

Grab the tire (at the highest point - top) = shake it back and forth, in towards the engine and back out towards you, perpendicular to the forward direction of the car. It might take some manhandling to replicate the noise -- you're having to affect about 1000 pounds.

Collar nut: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD23&mospid=47408&btnr=31_0144&hg=31&fg=10

#3, which threads on to the strut housing. They tend to bang when loose, not squeak or crunch.

Top nut/strut rod nut: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD23&mospid=47408&btnr=31_0128&hg=31&fg=10

#6, which when loose will cause #5 and #1 to rub against each other.

Yes, it should be as easy as tightening some stuff. I'm suggesting this because I had the exact same problem, with the exact same car, nearly the exact amount of time after installing the kit. And I had already replaced the sway bar links for good measure. And it drove me crazy for about a week before I was able to correctly diagnose it.

best, whit

Jay 535i
04-17-2006, 11:47 AM
Verrrry innaresting. Thank you. I will check that out.

I'm not sure if the noise is coming from the front or rear, or maybe both. Could it be both, or is the back end different?

mikell
04-17-2006, 01:21 PM
Collar nut: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD23&mospid=47408&btnr=31_0144&hg=31&fg=10

#3, which threads on to the strut housing. They tend to bang when loose, not squeak or crunch.

Whit - thanks for this info for the lurker here - so, if I tighten the collar nut, that should cure a banging on that side when an impact is encountered?

Can this be accessed without removing the spring?

Sorry to hijack the thread, but this has been bugging me.

Mike

632 Regal
04-17-2006, 02:14 PM
yes, jack the car up, place a pipe wrench around the collar nut and turn it, need a pipe on the wrench to get it to turn. You need to really crank this thing to get it tight. No need to remover the wheel/tire as the way the springs sit you can get enough room to tighten but not loosen...in at least my case with the eibach springs.

Whit - thanks for this info for the lurker here - so, if I tighten the collar nut, that should cure a banging on that side when an impact is encountered?

Can this be accessed without removing the spring?

Sorry to hijack the thread, but this has been bugging me.

Mike

Bill R.
04-17-2006, 08:44 PM
as this one in number 2 here. If you take the bolts out holding those bushings
(there's 2 of them) and clean the sway bar and the inside of the rubber where it rides on the bar. Then spray them with silicone dri lube spray. You can get it from autozone in the stp brand spray cans. That will lubricate rubber and not harm it. Spray any and all rubber on metal contact areas that you see on the front end and see if it gets rid of the squeakhttp://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images2/swaybarbushing.jpg

Verrrry innaresting. Thank you. I will check that out.

I'm not sure if the noise is coming from the front or rear, or maybe both. Could it be both, or is the back end different?

rob101
04-17-2006, 09:35 PM
as this one in number 2 here. If you take the bolts out holding those bushings
(there's 2 of them) and clean the sway bar and the inside of the rubber where it rides on the bar. Then spray them with silicone dri lube spray. You can get it from autozone in the stp brand spray cans. That will lubricate rubber and not harm it. Spray any and all rubber on metal contact areas that you see on the front end and see if it gets rid of the squeak

is that the sway bar mount? hmmmm i'll have to try that one, i have granny spec squeakiness as well.

Bill R.
04-18-2006, 05:24 AM
seats, sway bar bushings etc. This is where most squeaks come from

is that the sway bar mount? hmmmm i'll have to try that one, i have granny spec squeakiness as well.

Cobra
04-18-2006, 07:07 AM
That's what was causing the exact squeek you describe. You did say your suspension parts are new but thought I'd mention it just in case.

Take care,
Dan

Jay 535i
04-18-2006, 07:24 AM
What's a dog bone? :(

I'm determined to get this fixed, but it looks like it could take some time to find the problem.

Qube
04-18-2006, 07:27 AM

I'm determined to get this fixed, but it looks like it could take some time to find the problem.

These guys I believe. I have a set coming (for me) ;)

http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-PAIR-BMW-REAR-PITMAN-ARMS-DOGBONES-Free-SHIP_W0QQitemZ8056418747QQcategoryZ33587QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

http://i13.ebayimg.com/01/i/06/d1/9c/f1_1_b.JPG

You can see them without lifting.

joshua43214
04-18-2006, 07:32 AM

A dog bone is something you give your dog to keep it from eating your furniture. If you duct tape one to your trunk lid, it can cause a yelping or whining sound from the rear bumper when you slam on the brakes.

He is probably referring to the rear camber links that BMW refers to as "pitman arms" for some inexplicable reason. They are a dog bone shaped spherical links about 3 inches long just forward in inward of the rear hubs on both sides.

Jay 535i
04-18-2006, 07:34 AM
These guys I believe. I have a set coming (for me) ;)

http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-PAIR-BMW-REAR-PITMAN-ARMS-DOGBONES-Free-SHIP_W0QQitemZ8056418747QQcategoryZ33587QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

http://i13.ebayimg.com/01/i/06/d1/9c/f1_1_b.JPG

You can see them without lifting.

Those look like what I've heard called "sway bar links". Are they the same thing?

Why'd you order 'em, Qube? You squeaking too?

Qube
04-18-2006, 08:52 AM
Those look like what I've heard called "sway bar links". Are they the same thing?

Why'd you order 'em, Qube? You squeaking too?

Spare parts. I have a blower, full rad set, control arm set etc... just in case. Besides, the rubber bushing or whatever on mine is 'squished' but not causing any overt camber or otherwise wheel issues ;)

Abnormal
04-18-2006, 09:55 AM
A dog bone is something you give your dog to keep it from eating your furniture. If you duct tape one to your trunk lid, it can cause a yelping or whining sound from the rear bumper when you slam on the brakes.

He is probably referring to the rear camber links that BMW refers to as "pitman arms" for some inexplicable reason. They are a dog bone shaped spherical links about 3 inches long just forward in inward of the rear hubs on both sides.

I had the same problem and it drove me nuts (still there)! I replaced the dog bones (pitman arms) and the problem went away. Twenty minute job. Here is a picture of them.

They attach your trailing arm to your cross member.

Cobra
04-18-2006, 10:58 AM
use a piece of garden hose as a stethoscope and start bouncing.

Take care,
Dan

Jay 535i
04-18-2006, 11:21 AM
I had the same problem and it drove me nuts (still there)! I replaced the dog bones (pitman arms) and the problem went away. Twenty minute job. Here is a picture of them.

They attach your trailing arm to your cross member.

Cheers!

I'll start with those and see what happens. I ruled out Whit's suggestion today.