PDA

View Full Version : Bumpstops

632 Regal
04-17-2006, 07:48 AM
Ok new Boge shocks are on order and the concern of the bumpstops has come into play. I remember cutting the stock stops but that worries me cause they seem like when cut that short they could possibly mushroom and blow off the shock.

Looked into M5 stops but those are 40 bux each so I dont really want to ginuea pig that subject.

Recommendations? I have the Eibach springs and am only concerned with the front at this time.

Searching here and googling it even makes things more confusing, many many different ideas even leaving them out is talked about (not an option).

http://www.bimmer.info/~regal632/Side.jpg

genphreak
04-17-2006, 01:56 PM
Bilstein bumps at rear, M bumps at front. Of course when you get the M bumps you will probably wish you bought generics, but how else can you find out the length... what a pita you're having. I bet you wish she wasn't so slammed now.

Looks bloody good tho Jeff. :) nick

632 Regal
04-17-2006, 02:00 PM
are the M stops shorter or just firmer?

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
04-17-2006, 02:05 PM
are the M stops shorter or just firmer?

Both I believe. The M5 bump stop is 2.9" long vs 3.5" for other E34 apps. Even shorter ones come with the Sachs kit.

632 Regal
04-21-2006, 06:11 AM
Okay, word is Sachs wont sell the stops seperately, should I just chop the stockers and be done?
Both I believe. The M5 bump stop is 2.9" long vs 3.5" for other E34 apps. Even shorter ones come with the Sachs kit.

632 Regal
04-21-2006, 11:00 AM
bump

Tiger
04-21-2006, 11:35 AM
You gotta cut all of them shorter by 2". or you will have reduced shock travel... and possibly busting the top mounts. With new bumpstops... they will not mushroom... it is so much harder to smash those foam bumpstop than you think.

NY535iManual
04-21-2006, 11:46 AM
Ground Control sells what I think are sport-height bump stops (At least I hope so, because I am counting on them & need to place an order on Monday!!) When I place my order I will of course ask about height, so can't be of any help to you as of yet, but am happy to let you know the results of my conversation w/them.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
04-21-2006, 01:02 PM
Okay, word is Sachs wont sell the stops seperately, should I just chop the stockers and be done?

I have a pair of old M5 stops you can have. Or, I can look at them and tell you if chopping them is a good idea.

Edit: just checked, I tossed the old ones (part of my new regimen - do I really want to keep this shite?). If you wish to trim the stops, trim a bit off the upper end. Leave the bellows section alone.

genphreak
04-22-2006, 01:42 AM
Ground Control sells what I think are sport-height bump stops (At least I hope so, because I am counting on them & need to place an order on Monday!!) When I place my order I will of course ask about height, so can't be of any help to you as of yet, but am happy to let you know the results of my conversation w/them.Thanks NY535, that would be a good thing for us to document.

I Just went on the first big drive with mine. First bad bump at speed announced the bump stop was 'incorrectly' conceived.

Bilstein need the removed lengths sent back to them- with clear directions on what they need to do with them... one by one using 300lbs of pressure...

632 Regal
04-22-2006, 07:12 AM
what?

I Just went on the first big drive with mine. First bad bump at speed announced the bump stop was 'incorrectly' conceived.

Bilstein need the removed lengths sent back to them- with clear directions on what they need to do with them... one by one using 300lbs of pressure...

632 Regal
04-22-2006, 07:14 AM
interested in checking them stops out, can they be cut down?
I sent you an email...

I have a pair of old M5 stops you can have. Or, I can look at them and tell you if chopping them is a good idea.

Edit: just checked, I tossed the old ones (part of my new regimen - do I really want to keep this shite?). If you wish to trim the stops, trim a bit off the upper end. Leave the bellows section alone.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
04-22-2006, 11:38 AM
interested in checking them stops out, can they be cut down?
I sent you an email...

'tis my office e-mail. PM?

Did you note the edited msg? I've tossed the old BS :(

However, I think you can cut the OE stops by removing material at the top. Mimic the factory slots et al. The lower end is essentially an air spring when it contacts the top of the gland nut securing the shock insert. The lower end of the BS also holds the dust boot (did you get replacement dust boots? The ones from the Bilsteins won't work).

Anybody have an old stop to do a vertical cross-section and post photo?

632 Regal
04-22-2006, 03:12 PM
I got new dust boots, from when I first did this I remember something about the dust boots falling off cause of the custom trim job I did, Ill order up some stockers and see how well I can whittle.

Thanks Anthony!

genphreak
04-23-2006, 09:50 PM
what?What?

Jeff I am remembering your write up (http://www.bimmer.info/%7Eregal632/Bumpstops.htm) about removing the cartridge from the front shock assembly to cut the front bumpstops- mine get the same bang I remember you describing... that's what!

After this weekend's drive in the country I reckon the rear bottoms on the stops also, so I might take an inch from them too...

Am not sure how many 'sections' to take out of the front set: Tiger says 2" or else, but surely Bilstein and Co would know about this before specing the shock: It is a really key spec for every app they work on.

My M-tek springs sit the car higher than yours at the front but the rear of the car is lower- however it is weird though, this should have nothing to do with bump-stop sizes as they should be governed by the fully compressed length of the compete strut and spring assembly ONLY. I even have 9mm lower pads installed.

On a sport spring it is shorter to start with- but fully compressed the strut length should be no difference to the strut using the stock spring.
I keep wondering how it would be if I had the Bilstein shock in there with the standard height spring... My m-tek springs have the same amount of coils, are made from the same diameter material. They are just shorter when uncompressed, and harder to squash of course.

I will put the 3mm pads in the front to help balance things, but I reckon my tow-bar and stereo drops the rear a tad and shoot some pics after that... :) Nick

632 Regal
04-24-2006, 05:35 AM
What?

What?

Jeff I am remembering your write up (http://www.bimmer.info/%7Eregal632/Bumpstops.htm) about removing the cartridge from the front shock assembly to cut the front bumpstops- mine get the same bang I remember you describing... that's what!

After this weekend's drive in the country I reckon the rear bottoms on the stops also, so I might take an inch from them too...

Am not sure how many 'sections' to take out of the front set: Tiger says 2" or else, but surely Bilstein and Co would know about this before specing the shock: It is a really key spec for every app they work on.

My M-tek springs sit the car higher than yours at the front but the rear of the car is lower- however it is weird though, this should have nothing to do with bump-stop sizes as they should be governed by the fully compressed length of the compete strut and spring assembly ONLY. I even have 9mm lower pads installed.

On a sport spring it is shorter to start with- but fully compressed the strut length should be no difference to the strut using the stock spring.
I keep wondering how it would be if I had the Bilstein shock in there with the standard height spring... My m-tek springs have the same amount of coils, are made from the same diameter material. They are just shorter when uncompressed, and harder to squash of course.

I will put the 3mm pads in the front to help balance things, but I reckon my tow-bar and stereo drops the rear a tad and shoot some pics after that... :) Nick

genphreak
04-30-2006, 12:37 AM
What?What was what about the whatsa...