PDA

View Full Version : These *#$!in' Bendix rear pads don't fit...

genphreak
04-17-2006, 03:48 AM
Has anyone ever seen this before on an e34 535i?

The rear calipers -with the piston fully compressed- did not open enough to fit the new pads I bought. I double checked they are the right ones, and tehy are.

The brand is Bendix Advance; sold rebranded as PBR, Lucas and perhaps others. They are part DB1132 which is listed as the fitting practically all e34 and e32 vehicles- from what I can see literlaly any BMW with a 302mm rear disc.

Today, fitting these pads was impossible because as soon as one was seated, the other would not fit (no matter which order one put them in). The width appeared to interfere (by about 3mm too much).

Interestingly, the pads have a lead in and lead out taper which, at the smallest point would be about right. See pic below showing overall pad width to be 17.2mm:

Has anyone ever had this problem before? Teh only fix I can see is manually grinding them down to get them to fit! The front ones fitted just fine (and had no taper...)

Many thanks in advance for any insights provided... adn happy easter choclate feasting... :) Nick

winfred
04-17-2006, 04:47 AM
i checked a set of 1132s and they are .670" thick

pundit
04-17-2006, 04:55 AM
i checked a set of 1132s and they are .670" thick
What's with this inches (") crap?
When are you Yanks going to get with the program, come out of the dark ages and adopt the metric system?!

Good! Glad I got that off my chest.
Now time for a 24", 3lb pizza, and a few pints of beer!

Goddamn imperial measurement system! - :D

Rigmaster
04-17-2006, 04:56 AM
Stupid question (maybe), but did you remove the caliper from the carrier (bracket) or are you trying to put the pads in with it attached?? If you did not remove the caliper from the carrier, then that's your problem, if you did, then maybe the pads are boxed wrong (??) or they put the wrong thickness friction material on the backing plate???

Bret.

winfred
04-17-2006, 05:05 AM
well i would of used my metric caliper if i didn't have to walk a kilometer to go get it from my box in the back

What's with this inches (") crap?
When are you Yanks going to get with the program, come out of the dark ages and adopt the metric system?!

Good! Glad I got that off my chest.
Now time for a 24", 3lb pizza, and a few pints of beer!

Goddamn imperial measurement system! - :D

joshua43214
04-17-2006, 05:23 AM
A guy posted the same exact problem a short while ago. His problem was he was trying to make a short cut by leaving the caliper and its mounting yoke attached together. There is not alot of extra room with new brake parts so you have to bolt up the mount, set the pads in place, then swing the caliper down over the pads.

Other than that, possible you have rotors that are too thick or pads that are boxed wrong.

genphreak
04-17-2006, 05:36 AM
well i would of used my metric caliper if i didn't have to walk a kilometer to go get it from my box in the backSweet Winfred, thansk for checking that pad for me, that puts it straight. My vernier reads in inches and down here in Oz most of us know both scales since our wretched English heritage has left us with many 'hangovers'... I sure appreciate knowing that yours are the same as mine any way you want to tell me.

It's harder for some though, (I had an english+aussie education) and in Oz we now only bother teaching metric these days so it is a PITA for younger people- especially with fastener thread sizes which are sooo much simpler under metric.

Was thinking I was going to ened to hassle Bendix out over the issue, but now I know not to. What we did was change the outer pad and resolve to pull them again after I get 3mm worth of wear and then do the other (say by Christmas time)

Thus I dare say Bret is right; after just slipping them in the front calipers I just assumed they should do the same at the rear- if I'd taken teh 7mm hex key to it I could have solved the problem just like that eh? Damn!!

I had the BMW instructions handy jic, but they didn't enlighten me as you have just done... well anyway, that teaches me (yet again) to damn well always have the Bently handy (and quit leaving it in the dunny!)

Duh!

Thanks Bret!

genphreak
04-17-2006, 05:48 AM
A guy posted the same exact problem a short while ago. His problem was he was trying to make a short cut by leaving the caliper and its mounting yoke attached together. There is not alot of extra room with new brake parts so you have to bolt up the mount, set the pads in place, then swing the caliper down over the pads.

Other than that, possible you have rotors that are too thick or pads that are boxed wrong.Hey Joshua, thanks I must have missed that post. Looks like they'll be popping off again soon. Looks like I'll be rebuilding them soon anyway, one of them has a blocked bleeder and I suspect it hasn't been bled for a long time. :) Nick

winfred
04-17-2006, 02:16 PM
take the screw out and stick a dental pick in the hole, the blockage is usually right there, if it's not leaking or sticking i like to leave them alone

Hey Joshua, thanks I must have missed that post. Looks like they'll be popping off again soon. Looks like I'll be rebuilding them soon anyway, one of them has a blocked bleeder and I suspect it hasn't been bled for a long time. :) Nick

632 Regal
04-17-2006, 02:40 PM
dental pick? ( I envision a toothpick)

take the screw out and stick a dental pick in the hole, the blockage is usually right there, if it's not leaking or sticking i like to leave them alone

rob101
04-17-2006, 04:11 PM
Sweet Winfred, thansk for checking that pad for me, that puts it straight. My vernier reads in inches and down here in Oz most of us know both scales since our wretched English heritage has left us with many 'hangovers'... I sure appreciate knowing that yours are the same as mine any way you want to tell me.

It's harder for some though, (I had an english+aussie education) and in Oz we now only bother teaching metric these days so it is a PITA for younger people- especially with fastener thread sizes which are sooo much simpler under metric.

muhaha, try my world its not just inches and feet, but lbs force, lbs mass, slugs, lbs ft of torque, PSI, Fahrenheit need i continue and not to mention that nasty 0.4 of a mm that inches have over 25 mm which catches people out. I would be one of those "younger people" except that, unfortunately americans do build alot of stuff and to simply function in the world of SI units as a mechanic engineer is to put blinders on to the world.... still i must agree that metric bolt sizes are much simplier it also simplifies calculations somewhat working in SI units as you don't need as many conversion factors.

genphreak
04-17-2006, 05:09 PM
dental pick? ( I envision a toothpick)**** guys, I took the bleeder clean out and put my foot on the brake hard- must have had 700psi against it... and only a drop came out. You really think so? I'll give it a shot next weekend... :) Nick

winfred
04-17-2006, 05:50 PM
one of those pointy metal things that hurt like a mother****er when you jam them in your hand or leg

dental pick? ( I envision a toothpick)

genphreak
04-17-2006, 07:14 PM
muhaha, try my world its not just inches and feet, but lbs force, lbs mass, slugs, lbs ft of torque, PSI, Fahrenheit need i continue and not to mention that nasty 0.4 of a mm that inches have over 25 mm which catches people out. I would be one of those "younger people" except that, unfortunately americans do build alot of stuff and to simply function in the world of SI units as a mechanic engineer is to put blinders on to the world.... still i must agree that metric bolt sizes are much simplier it also simplifies calculations somewhat working in SI units as you don't need as many conversion factors.:D ur not wrong; the engineering side of things is not easy at all. Sometimes I find it it hard enought getting the torque wrench settings mixed up between ft/lbs and Nm!