PDA

View Full Version : best service manual

gymkata
04-16-2006, 04:59 PM
I'm looking to purchase a E34 5 series and wanted to get a manual to see what type of routine maintenance is required. Any suggestions on which one is good? Bentley? Haynes?
I noticed on ebay these guys selling CD's for about $20 that supposedly have the factory service manuals on CD. Anyone seen these?
Thanks.
gymkata

Kalevera
04-16-2006, 05:08 PM
The factory blue books are mostly procedural. Handy to have, but as was once said to me, "more of a suggestion" on how to do things.

Stick with the Bentley. Please buy the legitimate version -- it took Charlie a long time to write it.

best, whit

SharkmanBMW
04-16-2006, 05:15 PM
this site and http://www.bmwe34.net/
have every bit of info you need, other than a Bentley

Alexlind123
04-16-2006, 05:19 PM
Buy a bentley. Whatever you do, dont buy the CD version. If you need an electronic version after you buy one i can help you out with that.

Bill R.
04-16-2006, 06:02 PM
are selling them on ebay are not selling the factory service manual on cd, they are selling the tis which is not the same thing. I bought my factory service manual cd from bmw and i haven't seen anybody on ebay selling it yet. The tis does cover the newer cars with fairly good coverage but it doesn't cover the e34 much at all. So first buy a paper bentley's

I'm looking to purchase a E34 5 series and wanted to get a manual to see what type of routine maintenance is required. Any suggestions on which one is good? Bentley? Haynes?
I noticed on ebay these guys selling CD's for about $20 that supposedly have the factory service manuals on CD. Anyone seen these?
Thanks.
gymkata

wingman
04-16-2006, 11:44 PM
I don't know where you are but be aware that the Bentley is based around the US cars. I'm a big fan of Haynes manuals.

mamilapon
04-17-2006, 01:45 AM
Sorry mate , I've got both Bentley and Haynes. The latter I'm afraid is only good for starting fires in winter!!

pgrindstaff
04-17-2006, 02:51 AM
Thanks.
gymkata

Not too long ago I purchased the BMW Service CDs from ebay. The CD's aren't nice to have if you need to find a part number but don't even think about using them for maintenance. The diagrams are simple and only point out part numbers.

winfred
04-17-2006, 04:59 AM
i've thrown away more haynes books then most people own, i still keep a few on the rack over my toolbox in hopes the silverfish eat them instead of the half dozen bentley manuals, sorta like a anode on a boat motor

Sorry mate , I've got both Bentley and Haynes. The latter I'm afraid is only good for starting fires in winter!!

zygoteer
04-17-2006, 06:16 AM

I second that !
(even though I dont have a US spec car)

vgame64
04-17-2006, 12:13 PM
Geez an electronic manual sounds awesome.
I bought the Bentley manual and it is awesome...but an electronic one would be tons more convinient.

Bimmer93
04-17-2006, 04:52 PM
I purchased my Bentley CD on E-bay for the E-34 89-95 years I believe and I like it in fact I love it. The CD was $10 plus a couple of dollars for shipping from the UK. The nice thing also is that I made up my own manual by printing all 465 pages, I know that sounds crazy but it was cheaper to put together plus I have the CD. GO BENTLEY!

Kalevera
04-17-2006, 05:22 PM
Uh, you bought an illegal copy.

Try buying the real thing.

best, whit

Bimmer93
04-17-2006, 05:43 PM
Uh, you bought an illegal copy.

Try buying the real thing.

best, whit
WELL LEGAL OR NOT I GUESS TO VENTURE IT'S A LITTLE TO LATE!!

Kalevera
04-17-2006, 06:56 PM
No, it's not too late. You could buy the legitimate version.

Read this:

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=14994

best, whit