PDA

View Full Version : OT: Record breaking axle replacement last night

Jon K
04-16-2006, 04:24 AM
Last night we went to Englishtown Raceway with our friend brians VW Jetta VR6 Turbo. He dyno'd the car the week before on 30 psi and pump gas @ 680whp. With race fuel and the 34 psi we ran last week its got to be over 700hp. Anyway, it was a shitty night - too many cars breaking on the track causing long time between runs. Motorcycles were hogging the track.

We got three runs in. The 2nd run after the burnout, got a good launch but going into 2nd gear the cars revs flew up slamming off the rev limiter throwing huge flames out the exhaust. We thought he broke something more serious, but turned out to just be an axle. He pulled around to the pit area and some guy behind us said, "I knew that shitbox was going to break." We looked at him smiling and went into the pit area - brian said the drivers side axle was broken - fortunately we travel with a multitude of axles. Jacked the car up, wheel off, axle off, axle on, wheel on, car down... all in about <10 mins. Was crazy fast. Then we lined up once more but ran a time not worth mentioning.

This car previously ran 9.6 sec :)

bahnstormer
04-16-2006, 02:39 PM
we?
did u all sit in there and drive it?
lol

Jon K
04-16-2006, 03:47 PM
Yes martin, we did - we sat on each others laps.

632 Regal
04-16-2006, 04:25 PM
nothing like the race track, I met the finest people that would go way out of their way to help a fellow racer even if is was an opponent that you were against...I miss them days a lot.