PDA

View Full Version : Engine loosing power

old bob
04-15-2006, 08:35 PM
Just been out for a drive with the child bride of 43 years and the engine died though did not stop pulled over and then went off again with no problems. this seems to be an intermitenrd fault. almost like when you do a timing belt on a car but not a BMW can anyone help?

Bill R.
04-15-2006, 08:47 PM
main relay... I've seen a number of fuel pump relay's do that randomly , but more on volvo than bmw

Just been out for a drive with the child bride of 43 years and the engine died though did not stop pulled over and then went off again with no problems. this seems to be an intermitenrd fault. almost like when you do a timing belt on a car but not a BMW can anyone help?

old bob
05-18-2006, 08:01 PM
main relay... I've seen a number of fuel pump relay's do that randomly , but more on volvo than bmw
Where do they hid the relay? Also where is the coolant level sensor hidden?

rob101
05-18-2006, 08:05 PM
Also where is the coolant level sensor hidden? muhaha, should be able to see it in the real oem diagram for the radiator. although on mine it is on the bottom of the filler tank on the passenger's side (RHD) of the radiator.
let me guess
you're getting random coolant error messages when you shut the car down?

BillionPa
05-18-2006, 08:11 PM
the relays are in the E box in the right hand of the engine bay.

old bob
05-18-2006, 08:15 PM
yes after replacing the timing belt this comes up at the start and finish of a drive

rob101
05-18-2006, 08:20 PM
yes after replacing the timing belt this comes up at the start and finish of a drive
do you know the bleeding procedure? i had this for a while lately. the best thing to do is open the heater on full and then follow the bleeding procedure, see if that works.
i used to get it for a while (even after bleeding) then i started using the heater everyday and the car was up in the air for a bit (exhaust work) hasn't reappeared since.
sometimes the sensor stuffs up other times you get an airlock somewhere. so bleed it and if it keeps coming on replace.... if you could be stuffed.

old bob
05-18-2006, 10:50 PM
Rob, Thanks. I don't know the bleeding procedure I will do the heater thingo tomorrow morning and will let you know.
Where do you work?

rob101
05-19-2006, 12:33 AM
Rob, Thanks. I don't know the bleeding procedure I will do the heater thingo tomorrow morning and will let you know.
Where do you work?
i'll pm you a link you will find useful as it has the bleeding procedure, i work for john holland our yard is down at crestmead near browns plains.