PDA

View Full Version : OT And we call all of this English?

Gayle
04-15-2006, 07:25 PM
Here is a link to a website that documents various accents.

Speech accents by region (http://accent.gmu.edu/browse_atlas.php)

English speakers from all over the world read the same paragraph. I grew up in Arkansas and just about fell on the floor listening to that one.

Arkansas accent (http://accent.gmu.edu/searchsaa.php?function=detail&speakerid=107)

BigKris and Greg--do you guys sound like this? (http://accent.gmu.edu/browse_language.php?function=detail&speakerid=148)

SC David
04-15-2006, 10:01 PM
Amazing how the Perth, Australia accent is much more subtle.

http://accent.gmu.edu/browse_language.php?function=detail&speakerid=143

Like the California accent of down under, while the Sydney one is like the Texas accent.

Alexlind123
04-15-2006, 10:14 PM
You are californian, so californian accents sound "normal" to you :)

Gayle
04-15-2006, 10:15 PM
Amazing how the Perth, Australia accent is much more subtle.

http://accent.gmu.edu/browse_language.php?function=detail&speakerid=143

Like the California accent of down under, while the Sydney one is like the Texas accent.

We noticed the same thing. The other Aussie accents sounded pretty similar to American English, while Sydney sounds to us like some accents we heard in London.

Aussies--enlighten us. What's the deal with your regional speech patterns?

Alexlind123
04-15-2006, 10:17 PM
Keep in mind that even within a very small geographical area, accents can differ drastically. These sound recordings only show one small sample, which may or may not be an accurate representation of the actual "normal" accent for the area.

shogun
04-15-2006, 10:41 PM
Aiyah, cannot wait any more, must go oreddy. (Oh dear, I cannot wait any longer. I must leave immediately.)
I eat liao. (I ate or I have eaten.)

I like Singlish: :)

Can. "It can be done."
Solidarity Can lah. "Rest assured, it can be done."
Seeking attention / support (implicit) Can hor / huh. "It can be done I guess."
Characteristic Can one / de. "This can be done, really."
(Vividness?) Very nice lidat. "This really appeared to be very nice."
Acceptance /
Resignation Can lor. "It can be done, for goodness sake."
Assertion (implies that listener should already know) Can wat. "It can be done... shouldn't you know this?"
Assertion (strong) Can mah. "See?! It can be done!"
Assertion (softened) Can leh. "Can't you see that it can be done?"
Yes / No question Can or not? "Can it be done?"
Yes / No question
(confirmation) Can is it? "It can be done, right?"
Yes / No question
(scepticism) Can meh? "Um... are you sure it can be done?"
Confirmation Can ar (low). "So... it can really be done?"
Rhetorical Can ar (rising). "Alright then, don't come asking for help if problems arise."
Change of state Can already / liao. "It's done!"
(Indifference?) Can huh (low tone). "It can be done..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singlish#Hah

Gayle
04-15-2006, 10:50 PM
I have heard that the upper midwest, and Ohio in particular, is the speech pattern that broadcasters strive for as it has the least amount of accent associated with it.

And in SoCal there are huge numbers of people who have moved here from the upper midwest. I lived in Ohio prior to moving here (lost most of my southern accent while living in Ohio) and my husband moved here from Michigan. I think the upper midwestern influence is why CA tends to have minimal accent (unless you count "Valley Girl" as an accent or the speech patterns of the large numbers of non-native speakers here).

As you pointed out there are certainly wide variations in a region. As this was a project of the linguistics department of George Mason University and was compiled for the use of linguists, I would expect they selected samples they considered to be most representative of an area, but the site does not explain their methodology in any significant detail.

rob101
04-15-2006, 11:36 PM
for starters gayle that "sydney" person that you linked to sounds like the australian equilavent of a red neck.

where as the chick from brisbane sounds normal
as does this dude from sydney http://accent.gmu.edu/browse_language.php?function=detail&speakerid=525
or this guy from melbourne
http://accent.gmu.edu/browse_language.php?function=detail&speakerid=140

please don't assume we talk like that other dude from sydney, and please if one day i do sound like that guy someone please feel free to kill me so i can't have children who will butcher the language like that yokel:p

emw525E34
04-15-2006, 11:53 PM
Yeah Shogun,

You captured the gist of the Singlish that I missed (as in missed not hearing often enough). It does convey subtle clues based on Chinese intonations which I think reflects well within the Singapore culture.

I am Malaysian by birth and strive to speak the "pure" english taugh by our British rulers of ancient times. In Malaysia, the twist in english words are not as radical as Singapore. I guess it was "peer-pressure" or social etiquette (see it can't spell the darn word). For a Malaysian to speak English in a "modified" way, is deemed pariah. Teachers in school ensures proper language or else we have disciplinary repercussions!.

In Singapore, its the opposite. They reckon its cool to twist english into Singlish. In all, when I visit singapore or call Singapore friends from work, I could "tune-in" those messages. At times finding myself reciprocating which I though was rather hilarious. cos I got some wrong!.

BigKriss
04-16-2006, 01:53 AM
I can't get it working - sorry.

BigKris and Greg--do you guys sound like this? (http://accent.gmu.edu/browse_language.php?function=detail&speakerid=148)

shogun
04-16-2006, 02:06 AM
Gayle,
have you ever read about that German would be the official language of America, USA or whatever it has been called in those days?
I once read that it was a split decision to use German or English as national language for the 'now' USA?

BigKriss
04-16-2006, 02:13 AM
I cannot differentiate between different Australian's accents, meaning to me they don't change depending on the region in Australia, however if the are from South Africa, New Zealand, England and North America - I can notice differences there.

We noticed the same thing. The other Aussie accents sounded pretty similar to American English, while Sydney sounds to us like some accents we heard in London.

rob101
04-16-2006, 02:40 AM
you need quicktime to get the sound to play on that page, that one is really really crass, but i can't say that the other accents sound that dissimilar.

mind you i do find that south australian accents are stand outs, some south australians almost sound like kiwis.

BigKriss
04-16-2006, 02:47 AM
I'm on dialup - 20mb is too big.

you need quicktime to get the sound to play on that page, .

rob101
04-16-2006, 02:48 AM
i am on dial up also, eh just go throw a frisbee for 4 hrs

Gayle
04-16-2006, 05:40 AM
for starters gayle that "sydney" person that you linked to sounds like the australian equilavent of a red neck.

where as the chick from brisbane sounds normal
as does this dude from sydney http://accent.gmu.edu/browse_language.php?function=detail&speakerid=525
or this guy from melbourne
http://accent.gmu.edu/browse_language.php?function=detail&speakerid=140

please don't assume we talk like that other dude from sydney, and please if one day i do sound like that guy someone please feel free to kill me so i can't have children who will butcher the language like that yokel:p

Hey, I don't have a problem with rednecks. Did you listen to Arkansas? That could be my mother. And some people in this country can't understand our fellow countrymen/women if they have heavy southern accents.

But thanks for the clarification about Syndey. I have probably meet 10 Aussies since I moved to California and none sounded like the Sydney guy. To my ear, Aussie English sounds flatter and broader than British English. Hubby and I thought the Sydney clip sounded like Cockney English.

When we were in the London airport about 10 years ago, a woman with a Cockney accent came up to us, handed us literature, and said some that to us was about as intelligible as *%#$*^%#@$%#. After the 3rd repetion, I was able to understand her to say "Take a ponder on this." My husband never could make what came out of her mouth sound like words. I thought it was pretty funny.

Even if you Aussies speak "normal" English, you still have all that crazy slang.:D

Gayle
04-16-2006, 07:38 AM
Gayle,
have you ever read about that German would be the official language of America, USA or whatever it has been called in those days?
I once read that it was a split decision to use German or English as national language for the 'now' USA?

Shogun,

I had to consult with my husband on this question. He is the master of all manner of obscure facts. He tells me at the time of the American Revolution, there were more people in the colonies who spoke German than English. And they were many more, who were not German speakers, but understood German because they came from the Netherlands.

Hubby tells me there was no formal decision to make English the official language. It sort of worked out that way because the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution were written in English. Then as today, it was a commonly understood and used language.

Thanks for your question. I learned something new. I had no idea that this was the state of affairs.

Jay 535i
04-16-2006, 09:12 AM
Keep in mind that even within a very small geographical area, accents can differ drastically. These sound recordings only show one small sample, which may or may not be an accurate representation of the actual "normal" accent for the area.

My own travel experiences suggest that many of these samples are not really representative of the region.

Jay 535i
04-16-2006, 09:13 AM
Shogun,

I had to consult with my husband on this question. He is the master of all manner of obscure facts. He tells me at the time of the American Revolution, there were more people in the colonies who spoke German than English. And they were many more, who were not German speakers, but understood German because they came from the Netherlands.

Hubby tells me there was no formal decision to make English the official language. It sort of worked out that way because the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution were written in English. Then as today, it was a commonly understood and used language.

Thanks for your question. I learned something new. I had no idea that this was the state of affairs.

That is interesting.

Also remember what Teddy Roosevelt said in 1907 (ironcially his last name is German):

We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.

I disagree with him wholeheartedly, but there ya go...

632 Regal
04-16-2006, 02:50 PM
gay...they should at least get people that can read a script before publishing the ****.

rob101
04-16-2006, 04:33 PM
Even if you Aussies speak "normal" English, you still have all that crazy slang.:D
i didn't mean we speak "normal" english i meant that those other clips were more representative of "normal" Australian English. and yes we do have crazy slang.

Javier
04-16-2006, 04:56 PM
I know english is not the official language, but they select a Caracas guy that hardly speak any english. And for Maracaibo, it is a guy influenced by its Canada residence, wile must of the english influence in Venezuela is from USA.

If I make this finding extensive to every other region, this work is a nonsense.

Javier

Gayle
04-16-2006, 05:21 PM
The website says they (the linguistics department at George Mason University) welcome comments on these English samples. Those of you who think the samples are not representative should tell them because this stuff is being used for scholarly research.

rob101
04-16-2006, 05:28 PM
The website says they (the linguistics department at George Mason University) welcome comments on these English samples. Those of you who think the samples are not representative should tell them because this stuff is being used for scholarly research.
lol i am not going to do their job for them, its departments like this that got crap loads of funding whilst departments in my university that provided graduates for the core industries that keep australia ticking over (mining resources engineering) could barely keep their heads above water.
call me bitter but i don't really care too much to help intellectuals in these fields

Javier
04-16-2006, 05:32 PM
funny finding.

Javier

GJPinAU
04-16-2006, 07:06 PM
He actually says Wednesday! When it should be Wensdee:D
And you get slabs of meet or a slab of beer.;)

Zeuk in Oz
04-17-2006, 04:35 PM
As a "wog" migrant (:D ) for whom English is his second language, may I add my 2c.

I think, Gayle, that there is much less variation between regions in Oz than you might imagine, with the noticeable exception that your older "bushie" ( bushman = stockman or farm worker ) might in some cases talk a little like the Sydney person on that site.

To my ears, the Perth and Brisbane accents on that site were very close to what I hear every day, and the Darwin accent not too far away. The Sydney accent is probably what we sounded like 80-100 years ago before the Kiwis affected our speech patterns.

As said, the speech patterns don't vary much across the country with the noticeable exception of the short vowel sound which has really become prominent over the past 20 years and is considered to have originated from NZ and Melbourne. Here in Sydney we used to say dance with a long vowel sound on the "a", but the shorter vowel sound on the "a", a more British or posh or cultured pronunciation, has now become popular.

Otherwise someone's vocabulary is more likely to give them away as to their origins.
For example :
A "suitcase" or bag for most Aussies is called a "port" in northern NSW and some parts of Queensland.
To give someone a lift on a pushbike is a "dink" everywhere except Sydney where it is a "double".
"Devon" is a popular processed sausage meat on school lunches almost everywhere except South Australia (especially Adelaide) where it is called "fritz" and I think it is called "belgium" in Tasmania.
In South Australia they have an unique name for what are called telegraph or power poles everywhere else : "stobie pole".
You can also give yourself away by whether you go swimming in "cossies", "swimmers", "togs" or "trunks".

Gayle, I would suggest that you take up the challenge as roving historian, archivist and international delegate and make the trip to Terrigal in June to hear us speak in person. We'll pick you up from the airport and put you up during your stay ! Should Paul or any of the other Kiwis show then that would give you a real comparison.

Serously though, perhaps we should all post recordings of us reading a prepared passage - that might really be a laugh !

It would be even funnier if we chose half a dozen languages and we had a go at all of them ! ;)

rob101
04-17-2006, 04:43 PM
"Devon" is a popular processed sausage meat on school lunches
devon a popular processed sausage? not lately, at least not in the CBD in a deli i worked at when i was at uni, people were more likely to get mortadella than that crap.

don't forget queenslanders putting "ay?" on the ends of sentences. and you new south welshman calling a schooner a "middie" (glasses of beer for those who don't know)
there are also interesting things like my parents sometimes called lunch: dinner and dinner: tea as they do in parts of england.

Nick.Hay
04-17-2006, 05:00 PM
Great find Gayle!!!

Its pretty crazy all the different accents...

I laughed listening to the guy from northern Ireland... Its gold!!

Bruce Kennett
04-17-2006, 05:03 PM
interesting stuff . . .

the arkansas sample certainly sounds colorful. i tried the new england ones (i'm in rural new hampshire), and they seemed much paler/more neutral/less colorful than a lot of what i hear from many of my neighbors around here. i wonder how they picked the particular people they recorded? although you might think that "yankee humor" records exaggerate the accents of new englanders, i certainly hear it that same way, plenty thick and undiluted, from some of the locals.

back in the late 70s i lived in linz, austria for a year while i was studying book design at an art school. this is a big industrial city up in the north of the country. we had several hundred students from all over austria, a handful from switzerland, and just me and a guy from zaire as more far-flung students. i can remember vividly one day seeing two students trying to have a conversation in their local dialects. these guys were both austrians, mind you! one was from vorarlberg (high alps, in extreme west of country, with ski resorts like st anton) and the other from burgenland (southeast part of country, next to hungary) and they were unable to communicate via their normal dialects. they had to speak in hoch deutsch because there were so few words in common otherwise.

bruce

1992 525iT
1976 Citroen HY-IN2 H-van pickup
1969.5 Citroen DS21 parts car

Nick.Hay
04-17-2006, 05:14 PM
Devon was always called 'german sausage' in my family home here in Tasmania... Not very accurate, considering its not made FROM Germans, nor is it from Germany!! :D

I used to wonder what people were on about calling it "Belgium"...

Now "port" for a suitcase... Thats just stupid!!! :D

Bogan, on the other hand... We ALL know what we mean then, so we can all laugh at them!!!

Zeuk in Oz
04-17-2006, 05:36 PM
devon a popular processed sausage? not lately, at least not in the CBD in a deli i worked at when i was at uni, people were more likely to get mortadella than that crap.

don't forget queenslanders putting "ay?" on the ends of sentences. and you new south welshman calling a schooner a "middie" (glasses of beer for those who don't know)
there are also interesting things like my parents sometimes called lunch: dinner and dinner: tea as they do in parts of england.
Didn't say I ever ate or liked devon - lol. For ages I always thought there was something wrong with me when I had danish salami or latvian liverwurst and gerkhin on my school lunches when everyone else had devon and tomato sauce. If ypou've seen the film "Wogboy", you will know what I mean ! :D

A "middie" is smaller than a "schooner" but larger than a "seven".

I find that many country people have breakfast, dinner and tea while city people often have breakfast, lunch and dinner. Perhaps the origin of this is that many country people have their largest meal in the middle of the day.

rob101
04-17-2006, 05:41 PM
Didn't say I ever ate or liked devon - lol. For ages I always thought there was something wrong with me when I had danish salami or latvian liverwurst and gerkhin on my school lunches when everyone else had devon and tomato sauce.

A "middie" is smaller than a "schooner" but larger than a "seven".

I find that many country people have breakfast, dinner and tea while city people often have breakfast, lunch and dinner. Perhaps the origin of this is that many country peolple have their largest meal in the middle of the day.
i don't really remember exactly because the last time i had a "middie" was after having 4hrs sleep and i think i had about 6 in one hour this was in a road trip from melbourne to sydney.... thats a really good way of getting out of driving.
wtf is a seven. isn't that a kind of lotus :p
yeah i think i missed the devon and tomato sauce crazy of the 1970s lol.

edit: pot=middie
http://www.aussiepubs.com.au/talk/index.htm

Nick.Hay
04-17-2006, 05:42 PM
Middie is a 10oz... We called them a 10oz at the club I worked in.

http://hygienebar.biz/V4/images/DE147.gif

The smaller one is a 10oz... the other 2 are pints; 20oz.

Zeuk in Oz
04-17-2006, 05:46 PM
yeah i think i missed the devon and tomato sauce crazy of the 1970s lol.

Actually, in my case it was the sixties ! :D

rob101
04-17-2006, 05:50 PM
mate i love this forum always makes me feel young