PDA

View Full Version : my battery keeps losing it's charge.

sexxybarbb
04-14-2006, 06:41 PM
My battery keeps losing it's charge. If I drive around, the battery will charge enough to start the car for a few days, and then goes dead again. When I tested the battery, the battery increased in charge while accelerating, but drops in idle. Could this be an alternature problem or possiblly an electrical?:(

sexxybarbb
04-14-2006, 06:43 PM
the model is a 530i 2001

winfred
04-14-2006, 07:13 PM
sounds like something is drawing on the system sucking the battery down while the car is sitting, or possibly the first signs of a dieing battery, first test id do it a draw test to see what the car is doing, i can tell you how to do this if you have a multi meter

Gayle
04-14-2006, 07:17 PM
Is this for real?

winfred
04-14-2006, 07:19 PM
huh? i miss something?

Is this for real?

Gayle
04-14-2006, 07:34 PM
huh? i miss something?

I am just suspicious that it is one of those alter egos that board members develop ever once and a while. Like I was Geishagirl (needed advice about painting my car which was actually Shogun's car after Sharkman turned it into the sand car). I know who some of the other fake identities were--all of which have been busted and banished.

A name like sexxybarbb. None of the profile filed out. But the person who filled it out had to elect not to receive emails cause I think the default is to get them.

The car is a 2001 on an e34 board.

"When I tested the battery, the battery increased in charge while accelerating, but drops in idle. Could this be an alternature problem or possiblly an electrical?"

I am just suspicious that sexxybarb tested her battery or would describe the problem this way. I am just too cynical I guess.

Paul in NZ
04-14-2006, 09:30 PM
classic sign of a battery on its way out,if you dont want to spring for a new battery get a) a battery test,and b) a charging system check
Those are exactly the same symptoms I had.Got the battery tested,on its last legs,got a new one no problems since

sexxybarbb
04-15-2006, 07:49 AM
Yes the name is for real. And I do have problem with my car.

When testing the battery, it read at 13 when the sccelerator was on, an below half when on idle.

Gayle
04-15-2006, 07:56 AM
Yes the name is for real. And I do have problem with my car.

When testing the battery, it read at 13 when the sccelerator was on, an below half when on idle.

Sorry to have doubted you and good luck with your car.

Tiger
04-15-2006, 08:43 AM
Wait... you said 13V when accelerating... and only 6V when idling? If so, your alternator is bad.

5 years for original battery is about the end of life too... double check the voltage at idling first... you need at least 13.5 to charge battery.. and perfect alternator is 14.4V

Tiger
04-15-2006, 08:50 AM
:D Gayle... you are hot... but Sexybarbb may be hotter...:D

SRR2
04-15-2006, 11:11 AM
Do you have the OBC? If so, you can put it in a mode that will display some information about the electrical system. OTOH, your problem sounds important enough to go to a qualified shop and have it diagnosed and fixed properly.

The symptoms you describe could point to a problem with either the battery, alternator, or elsewhere. One approach would be to disconnect the battery from the car and see if you can charge it with a battery charger, and then will it hold a charge. If that works, then you'll have to look at the electrical system. Possibly the alternator, but possibly some other problem that's causing the drain. Chasing these down isn't necessarily easy or a job for a noob.

Gayle
04-15-2006, 12:16 PM
:D Gayle... you are hot... but Sexybarbb may be hotter...:D

Probably so. Does take much to be hotter than a middle aged woman:D

old bob
04-15-2006, 10:43 PM
I had the same problem tried 2 new batteries until I found out it was the ecu (in the fuse box) was drawing out too many amps whilst standing idle in the garage. Replaced that and have overcome the problem. Hope that helps

emw525E34
04-15-2006, 11:19 PM
You could have an alternator or electrical drain problem. The voltage on idle at the battery terminals should be 14.2 to 14.4volts. Anything less your alternator is not charging....

If the alternator is OK and battery not dying, it should hold charger for longer than a week. If your battery is 3-4 years old, I would suggest replacing it before embarking on lengthy troubleshooting. You can always charge your new battery if an electrical problem drains it. You need a good battery anyways.
:)