PDA

View Full Version : A little more alcantara work

Jon K
04-14-2006, 06:18 PM
Well I realized today that my in-dash install was about 7/10 to my satisfaction. I rushed the fiberglass/bondo work in order to have it done for a couple meet a while back and never got back around to wetsanding and spraying it again. So rather than make a mess of my workspace, I decided to wrap the whole bezel in alcantara. I didn't think it'd work out because of the knobs and the certain contours of the bezel - alcantara doesn't stretch too much at all... But i ended up with a nice piece!

I used an X-acto knife to 'cut in' the beveled area that would be "0 1 2 3 4" for the blower and the temp numbers... if you look close you can see there is a bevel that the knobs fall into.

This was about 3 hrs of work. It's really difficult to make sure every surface has enough adhesion, no wrinkles, and is not pulling in corners. In all, I think it really makes the install so much better.

Remember that it is BLACK in person, the suede like texture does not photograph well. I will snag better pics tomorrow morning. I took these tonight because I wanted to show some friends. Anyway, I love how there are no colored surrounds on the dials - i felt that they stood out too much... it looked like the original car but with a modernized screen and it just didn't fit. Without those colored rings surrounding the dials it flows much better. Again, better pictures to follow tomorrow.

http://e34.digital7.com/Alcantara/indash1.jpg

RobPatt
04-14-2006, 06:46 PM
.... prefaced by:
"looks great... love the S/C and MS and videos... green as your car w/envy.. but still love mine just cause it's mine (and nice too, just no S/C..)...

ok question is:
Where can I get alcantara?

Would like to do my roof and maybe door inserts.
Thanks.
Rob sends....

Alexlind123
04-14-2006, 07:15 PM
.... prefaced by:
"looks great... love the S/C and MS and videos... green as your car w/envy.. but still love mine just cause it's mine (and nice too, just no S/C..)...

ok question is:

Thanks.
Rob sends....

Go to a fabric store. If you can, try to find some thats has a bit of stretch because it will be vastly easier for the roof.

bahnstormer
04-14-2006, 07:18 PM
lol i'd like to see a fabric store that stocks alcantara =]

Alexlind123
04-14-2006, 07:22 PM
I happen to have found several local sources for black synthetic suede. The prices i have found range from ~$20-45 per yard.

Jon K
04-15-2006, 04:49 AM
http://e34.digital7.com/Alcantara/indash2.jpg

Better pic.

The anthracite color is hard to photo - it is BLACK not purple/brown.

Compared to the very first setup (i had tweaked it since this pic, but this gives you an idea).

http://e34.digital7.com/LCD%20Project/final9.jpg

granit_silber
04-15-2006, 05:54 AM
.... prefaced by:

ok question is:

Thanks.
Rob sends....

google it. There is a company website with a distributor in Florida.

-ashley

McWatters
04-15-2006, 06:15 AM
Genious. you moved the Defrost, AC and circulation buttons to that empty button space beside the fog lights,.. Brilliant. what do u do for climate control on your side tho? or is the one button wired to both

cheers

J.McWatters

Jay 535i
04-15-2006, 09:32 AM
Engine oil low!? ;)

Jon K
04-15-2006, 07:35 PM
Engine oil low from like last year... notice wood trim in that pic

bjl4776
04-16-2006, 03:15 AM
The alcantra looks great, but you need to come up with something for those guages. By the way is that A/F my old one?

Jon K
04-16-2006, 04:18 AM
Brandyn, its not your old one, but identical to your old one. The old one is in our 500hp VW GTI