PDA

View Full Version : Boge or Sach?

632 Regal
04-14-2006, 03:37 PM
blew another Bilstein, time to throw them things away and start fresh.

Whats the difference between the boge or Sachs shock? They say both are OEM but the Boge has a gas shock...all the info isnt real clear and I would like to order some stuff up.

Any clues for a lowered vehicle?

Kalevera
04-14-2006, 03:59 PM
Jeff, they are one and the same.

best, whit

rob101
04-14-2006, 05:20 PM
that they are, go ZF trading! i think you can get lemfoerder bushes under a different name as well (ie sachs or boge).

Traian
04-14-2006, 05:22 PM
Sachs and Boge are the same company. My understanding was that the standard equipment on E34s were Boge (now Sachs) Automatics, but this is not so. Standard shocks are Boge/Sachs Turbo Gas, which can be used with lowering springs. And the Sachs 'Kit' (usually called Sporting Kit or something similar) is a unique combination of Sachs shocks and inserts and Eibach springs that are not available separately.

ryan roopnarine
04-14-2006, 05:40 PM
just keep in mind that boge regulars (ie, the stock replacements for your shocks) only carry a 2 year warranty. the turbo gas units have a lifetime agreement.

632 Regal
04-14-2006, 05:51 PM
now the part number search so I get the right stuff.

Thanks!

ryan roopnarine
04-14-2006, 05:55 PM
this chart is helpful if you are trying to buy shocks off of ebay or such. they also have charts for bilstein and kyb as well. the damn glass in the freezer better hurry up and cool down so i can put some gin into it

http://www.mesaperformance.com/web_store/web_store.cgi?page=bmwcat/boge.html&category=yes&cart_id=43753.7572

rob101
04-14-2006, 06:09 PM
http://webcat.zf-trading.com/index.asp?SPR=4
thats the ZF trading catalogue which of course includes zf boge sach and lemfoerder products. (except ZF's gearbox parts for some reason)

Kalevera
04-14-2006, 07:52 PM
Standard shocks are Boge/Sachs Turbo Gas, which can be used with lowering springs.

Not quite.

It depends on the model.

632 Regal
04-14-2006, 09:20 PM
my car going to ride like total **** if I dont change the rears out right now too?

Rustam
04-14-2006, 09:38 PM
blew another Bilstein, time to throw them things away and start fresh.

Whats the difference between the boge or Sachs shock? They say both are OEM but the Boge has a gas shock...all the info isnt real clear and I would like to order some stuff up.

Any clues for a lowered vehicle?

are you tired of bilstein lifetime warranty?

632 Regal
04-15-2006, 08:10 AM
warranty? not if you cut the bumpstops for one, and 2, you send their stuff out and wait weeks for them to tell you either theres nothing wrong or they send you replacements and you get to do it over and over. Meanwhile your without a car.

Rustam
04-16-2006, 12:24 AM
warranty? not if you cut the bumpstops for one, and 2, you send their stuff out and wait weeks for them to tell you either theres nothing wrong or they send you replacements and you get to do it over and over. Meanwhile your without a car.

why did you cut the bumpstops?

632 Regal
04-17-2006, 05:46 AM
constant bottoming.

why did you cut the bumpstops?

Bill R.
04-17-2006, 06:07 AM
selling bilstein's back in 1974 and the warranty then was just as bad as it is now...Virtually every other manufacturer with the exception of koni will sell you new shocks and then credit you when you bring the old shocks back. Not bilstein, they require you to send the old shocks back to be rebuilt/repaired . Which meant that most people either did without the car while the shocks were off or they bought a second pair (not likely) while one pair was sent off, or they got pissed and put another brand shock on. Even the multishock off road vw based sand cars that used to snap the shafts on the shocks had to send them back to be rebuilt..

Rustam
04-18-2006, 12:12 AM
selling bilstein's back in 1974 and the warranty then was just as bad as it is now...Virtually every other manufacturer with the exception of koni will sell you new shocks and then credit you when you bring the old shocks back. Not bilstein, they require you to send the old shocks back to be rebuilt/repaired . Which meant that most people either did without the car while the shocks were off or they bought a second pair (not likely) while one pair was sent off, or they got pissed and put another brand shock on. Even the multishock off road vw based sand cars that used to snap the shafts on the shocks had to send them back to be rebuilt..

I was told on the phone by a representative that I can send mine to them after paying for and receiving new shock absorber. Once they receive the bad shock and find that it is indeed not good they credit me back for the price I payed for brand new shock absorber. Looks like reasonable deal...

632 Regal
04-18-2006, 04:43 PM
until they say a scratch on it made it tampered with, or they say it's fine and you cant prove it unless you disassemble it which again voids the warranty.
I'm done with these things, no reason to have blown 2 of them in a year.

I was told on the phone by a representative that I can send mine to them after paying for and receiving new shock absorber. Once they receive the bad shock and find that it is indeed not good they credit me back for the price I payed for brand new shock absorber. Looks like reasonable deal...

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
04-19-2006, 05:28 AM

So what's your take on Koni? My dealer is bringing in a replacement part in advance of removal of the failed unit (I'm sure you saw the "Buggered Koni" thread) for which I will pay. Once I return the bad shock, payment will be credited. Or so they say.

632 Regal
04-24-2006, 10:09 PM
Sachs Super Touring: Newly minted comfort and safety
The Sachs Super Touring shock absorber line ensures safety and comfort levels like those of brand-new vehicles, because the technical properties of Sachs original parts are precisely adjusted to car makers' specifications. Thanks to high-grade materials and sophisticated processing, the dampers are extremely resistant to corrosion, and display only minimal wear under normal operating conditions. Not the least of this is due to the chrome-plated and polished piston rod, the wear-resistant piston rod guide, and the high-grade seal. Together they ensure that the damper is sealed, which, thanks to low friction levels, can respond to even slightly uneven road surfaces. Sachs Super Touring shock absorbers are perfectly adjusted to the demands of everyday traffic, not only on the well-maintained roads of Central Europe. They are true all-around shock absorbers, which also stand out on account of their good price-performance ratio.

genphreak
04-25-2006, 12:47 AM
Gee, Jeff, I never knew you could be so eloquent! Did you install a set just now and reach a new and devine plane in automotive pleasure?

I have to say after having a stock setup on my car when I got it (it looked like no suspension part had EVER been replaced, all the bolts were perfect) and the shocks when they came out looked like they were every day as old as the car (at the time 17 years). Both front and rear shocks were dead, ie had lost a fair bit of pressure. Neither showed any signs of leaks, but the ride height of the car had lost 2 inches...

This is something that should be in the buyers guides- the fact that old shocks can result in a car looking 'pre-lowered'.

Great! many would say... indeed it is a testament to the quality adn design of the stock BOGE shocks; the car did not ride badly or have problems with wheels losing traction thruoghout all but the most spirited, legal driving. I've seen dead shocks make wheels look like they were yo-yos when going over bumps, but mine (riding beside the car) never did any of that. That said, at the time it wasn't too hot if you wanted to do a dynamic brake in/power out round-corner experience on a bumpy patch, but traction/tramp only became noticable when one pushed the car (or the shocks at least) to the limit.

Either way, when I replaced them with the newer OE (ie new ZF replacement part); called BOGE 'Automatics' (constant adjusting valves that detect drive-style) the car felt like new again. Night and day difference. Firmed and calmed.

After that I went to lowered springs with Billie Sports.

I have not yet tried the OE BOGEs them on the new lowered springs, but I can bet life would be a lot nicer than it is on the Billies, tho perhaps not quite as 'sporting'. I have no doubt that teaming them with stiffer, shorter springs would be technically wrong, but the all-round proven ability Jeff was so sweetly describing there would enable them to cope enough to meet most people's driving desires.