PDA

View Full Version : Front door weatherstrip install

ThoreauHD
04-14-2006, 01:03 PM
Hello,

I am trying to replace the front left drivers side door weatherstrip/seal. The one attached to the body of the car with half rubber/half carpet liner.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HE23&mospid=47406&btnr=41_0734&hg=41&fg=40

The model is a 1994 530i. The issue I'm trying to work around is at the bottom of the door there is a plastic crescent overhang on top of the weather strip. I've been looking around the thing to figure out how to remove it. Does anyone know how to remove that plastic overhang without doing damage?

I've not seen anyone ask this, so it probably ranks up there with stupid questions. I'd appreciate any advice you have. Thanks.

bfd
04-14-2006, 02:25 PM
Hello,

I am trying to replace the front left drivers side door weatherstrip/seal. The one attached to the body of the car with half rubber/half carpet liner.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HE23&mospid=47406&btnr=41_0734&hg=41&fg=40

The model is a 1994 530i. The issue I'm trying to work around is at the bottom of the door there is a plastic crescent overhang on top of the weather strip. I've been looking around the thing to figure out how to remove it. Does anyone know how to remove that plastic overhang without doing damage?

I've not seen anyone ask this, so it probably ranks up there with stupid questions. I'd appreciate any advice you have. Thanks.

I replaced the edge protection on my 1990 535i, 5 speed, 105K miles, item 01 here:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD13&mospid=47408&btnr=51_1510&hg=51&fg=55

It wasn't too difficult. The hardest part was figuring out what color interior I had.

To lift the sill strip, I used a screwdriver with a towel wrapped around it to protect the paint. Then, just go slow putting it back together making sure that the rubber is in place. I used a small mallet to pound in the edge protector. Good Luck!

ThoreauHD
04-14-2006, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the advice. It seems to be on there pretty tight. Supposedly there is a screw that you unscrew and the slide out the protection strip, but I'm having a helluva time finding it. If romancing it won't let me get this thing on, I may have to take it to a shop. I hope not though. Bad enough looking like a newbie here... :)

Kalevera
04-14-2006, 08:21 PM
The plastic lip uses four plastic fasteners to hold it in place. It's fairly typical for them to break, or for the edge plate to lose the edges of the retainer guides for the clips, when removing the trim. Even when being super careful. I can count with one hand the number of times I've gotten these trims off in one piece. One can sometimes get enough play in the trim, by popping one or two of the plastic fasteners from the sill, to manipulate a new body seal into place.

Go in from the cabin side (fasteners are on the inboard side) with a wide, thin flat blade screwdriver and gently pry up. You don't need to worry about cushioning it with a rag unless the blade is dirty -- the carpet is sandwiched between the body and the trim under there.

best, whit