PDA

View Full Version : cassette/cd transition

Bruce Kennett
04-14-2006, 09:44 AM
Greetings all,

My first post. I will soon take possession of a 1992 525iT, and of course am very excited about this. i have a question about factory head units.

the car has an aftermarket single-play cd player in it. i imagine it shipped with a casette deck in 1992.

i have a zillion jazz tapes that i like to play while driving. i know i could install a cassette head unit and put a cd changer in the trunk to use both formats, or cobble together some way of powering a separate cassette player to feed into the aux input of the existing cd head unit, but were there ever combination units installed by BMW that would accept both tape cassette and cd in the same head unit? for me the ideal scenario is to feed the tape or cd that i want to listen to next, right into the mouth of the head unit, and dispense with loading a changer in the boot.

thanks for any input. this is a wonderful forum, by the way.

bruce

92 525iT (soon!)
76 Citroen HY-IN2 H-van pickup

Tiger
04-14-2006, 10:16 AM
No combo unit can fit that standard DIN hole size. Best bet is you convert those tapes into CD using your computer. Or buy CD's or MP3s of your favorite groups.

Otherwise, go wtih cassette head unit with CD changer in the trunk or your glovebox.