PDA

View Full Version : Steering play

TWISM
04-13-2006, 10:31 PM
I got some play on my steeringwheel.

It seems that when I drive and have the wheel in centre, I can turn the wheel about 1 to 2 cm each site (about 3 to 4 cm from the leftside play to the rigth side play.) without the feeling something happens...
The feeling is that for that 1 or 2 cm there is no resistence...

Is there a way to adjust the play? If so, how to do it?

Or does my fluid has to be filled?
I have a Touring, but could it be, when the fluid is on the low side, that the steering gets some play?

wingman
04-13-2006, 10:49 PM
I got some play on my steeringwheel.

It seems that when I drive and have the wheel in centre, I can turn the wheel about 1 to 2 cm each site (about 3 to 4 cm from the leftside play to the rigth side play.) without the feeling something happens...
The feeling is that for that 1 or 2 cm there is no resistence...

Is there a way to adjust the play? If so, how to do it?

Or does my fluid has to be filled?
I have a Touring, but could it be, when the fluid is on the low side, that the steering gets some play?

Can I offer a warning? You are about to get bombarded with about 50 replies saying "Use the search button"... Check out www.bmw34.net and all will be revealed!

Rob
04-13-2006, 10:49 PM
Loose steering column nut.
Remove the cover below the dashboard and steering wheel, you will be able to access the steering column. Locate the nut and tighten it. It is possible to overtighten that nut, which make the steering stiff and make funny noises.

Here's the nut that needs to be tighten:
http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/Data/Steering%20nut.jpg