PDA

View Full Version : Update guys! Thank you so much!!

Rob
04-13-2006, 10:20 PM
Morning all,

Well, last night at about 10pm, my friends from Joburg arrived at my place, after a 7 hour drive. Along with them they brought my new fuel pump that Rasmus has lent me to see if it would fix my power problem with the car having **** all power. And even it will cut out on the lightest hill, deap stop. :(

So, I get the pump from them, and waste no time. Go to car remove old ****ed pump put in new pump. 40 minutes later I try start her. Takes two key turns instead of 3 - 4 that it normally does. This must be a good sign.

So I let her idle, then I think right a quick drive will see if she's feeling better. So my garden is big, right. So I move her and drive across the garden, I can already feel she has power, much more of it. I get to my gate, and think right. Let's do this. Last time I went out the gates with that car got 500 meters down the road which took three minutes and almost didn't make it back home.

So I floor it, she goes, pulls out of drivway, and keeps going, faster and faster all power back! She's now running perferct!

You guys don't understand how happy I am to have her back running again. Now this morninig I got in her and turned the key, she starts first time now! :D

So, I would like to thank, Rasmus, Jeff, Aretem and everyone else who have helped me with this problem over the last few months. Thanks a lot guys! Be greatful you have saved yet another E34!!

Now I'm going to give her a service and get new oil, plugs ect.

So gooood. I can't believe the power she has! :D

One very, very happy man!:D

wingman
04-13-2006, 10:28 PM
Great to see you back on the road Rob! Did you buy a Bosch pump or something else? Go the M20!!!

Evan
04-13-2006, 10:34 PM
Good Job! I had the same problem in my 525 M50 a couple years back... the fuel pump died right after I filled the tank... messy job!

Rob
04-13-2006, 10:42 PM
Thanks guys! :D

Ya, it's a new Bosh pump in there. You don't understand how happy I am to have her back!

The car rocks now! and she's feeling better, even drives and sounds better! Just loving it! And to think without this forum, she would still be sitting!

wingman
04-13-2006, 10:54 PM
Thanks guys! :D

Ya, it's a new Bosh pump in there. You don't understand how happy I am to have her back!

The car rocks now! and she's feeling better, even drives and sounds better! Just loving it! And to think without this forum, she would still be sitting!

The reason I asked is because I know that the Bosch pump is pricey. You can use any pump that has the same flow capacity. You take the risk though. I used a Holden (GM) Commodore after market pump in my E12. It worked a treat and cost me about a third of the price. Mind you if the pump in my E34 goes I'll be going for the Bosch!!!

rob101
04-13-2006, 11:03 PM
The reason I asked is because I know that the Bosch pump is pricey. You can use any pump that has the same flow capacity. You take the risk though. I used a Holden (GM) Commodore after market pump in my E12. It worked a treat and cost me about a third of the price. Mind you if the pump in my E34 goes I'll be going for the Bosch!!!
you do know the VL and VK commodores and VN v8 have bosch fuel pumps anyway! perhaps you should checkout the Bosch EFI application guide its on the bosch australia site somewhere.
oh yeah btw they use the same pump as the e12 for: some alfas, citroens, FORD FALCON XE and XF, HOLDEN CALIBRA, CAMIRA, VK COMMODORE VL and it goes on and on
0 580 464 070
its amazing what a good product catalogue can do for you! oh and in the e34s and e28s!

Rob
04-13-2006, 11:28 PM

The pump is going to cost me 500 bucks.

Are these Bosch pumps any good?

rob101
04-13-2006, 11:43 PM
The pump is going to cost me 500 bucks.

Are these Bosch pumps any good?
bosch is the original pump manufacturer.... all bmw does is put a stamp on it (if that) need i say more.

Rob
04-13-2006, 11:44 PM
Hmm, ok?

rob101
04-14-2006, 12:15 AM
well, from one rob to another go check out bosch south africa's (http://www.bosch.co.za) bosch makes alot of bmw stuff and ZF and her subsiduaries the rest. so i guess the answer to your question is, yes bosch fuel pumps are good!

Rob
04-14-2006, 12:32 AM
Cool, Rob. Will check it out now.

I hope the problem with my car is definitely fixed. I mean I took her for a very short drive, like 1k or so and she definitely had the power. But I didn't go higher the 80Ks I think. More testing tonight.

Jon K
04-14-2006, 03:58 AM
Rob, this is a good that you fixed the car, but a simple fuel pressure test would have told ya the issue right away ;)

Glad you're back on the road

PS: Isn't the fuel pump the smelliest **** you've ever smelled.

Bill R.
04-14-2006, 05:03 AM
factory, in this case bmw... now bmw spec's out the pump the way that they want it and bosch produces it that way for them. But the bosch aftermarket pump is rarely the same pump that the bmw dealer sells... one of the more blatant examples is mercedes. I frequently see mercedes aftermarket new bosch pumps fail much earlier than if you buy a new bosch pump from mercedes. They are not built to the same specs. Same thing applies to every auto parts manufacturer... in american cars for example goodyear rubber makes one belt for gm original equiptment from the dealer, one belt that they sell independantly that is listed as oem and one belt for stores like autozone , all 3 carry the goodyear name but there is clearly a visible difference in quality between the 3. Sometimes when you pay extra for the dealer factory part there is a valid reason for it... not always but sometimes...

bosch is the original pump manufacturer.... all bmw does is put a stamp on it (if that) need i say more.

joshua43214
04-14-2006, 04:21 PM
This is so so true, especialy on high end cars, I have seen countless early failures on OEM parts that where sourced through the aftermarket. BMW,MB,Volvo, and Porshe have much higher standards than the OEManufacturer often does, and Bosch is one of the worst for lower standards on parts, Bosch spark plugs being the worst in terms of quality difference. Others like brembo seem to be the same regardless of the name on the box.

factory, in this case bmw... now bmw spec's out the pump the way that they want it and bosch produces it that way for them. But the bosch aftermarket pump is rarely the same pump that the bmw dealer sells... one of the more blatant examples is mercedes. I frequently see mercedes aftermarket new bosch pumps fail much earlier than if you buy a new bosch pump from mercedes. They are not built to the same specs. Same thing applies to every auto parts manufacturer... in american cars for example goodyear rubber makes one belt for gm original equiptment from the dealer, one belt that they sell independantly that is listed as oem and one belt for stores like autozone , all 3 carry the goodyear name but there is clearly a visible difference in quality between the 3. Sometimes when you pay extra for the dealer factory part there is a valid reason for it... not always but sometimes...

Tiger
04-14-2006, 04:29 PM
What are you talking about... I can get em for $269.

rob101
04-14-2006, 06:20 PM
Rob, this is a good that you fixed the car, but a simple fuel pressure test would have told ya the issue right away ;)

Glad you're back on the road

PS: Isn't the fuel pump the smelliest **** you've ever smelled.
i once pull a fuel tank that had "no" fuel in it, well to be fair i helped a friend who i told to drain it first. but he said that A it didn't have a drain plug and B there was apparently only a small amount of fuel in it... so we took it out without draining it much to my disgust!
it had 30Litres in it (7 gallons?) that was a smelly afternoon. i decided not to help him out anymore on that car as he has a deathwish and IT DID HAVE A DRAIN PLUG of course...........some people need to visit a burns unit then see whether he is too keen to **** around with a full fuel tank!

Jon K
04-14-2006, 06:26 PM
When I worked at Landrover we had a fuel tank recall on the new LR3. We had to cut the gas tanks up before throwing them in the trash so that people didn't try and reuse them or sell them again. Well this genius new guy was using the sawz all while the tanke was propped up against the swinging gate rails. Once he got throw the plastic tank and nicked the metal rail the thing went up in flames. He lost his eyesbrows for about 2 months. So worth it.

Paul in NZ
04-14-2006, 09:23 PM
a full fuel tank is safer than an "empty" one

rob101
04-15-2006, 05:09 PM
a full fuel tank is safer than an "empty" one
thats why they have drain plugs in fuel tanks?

Rob
04-17-2006, 09:43 PM
Lol. Funny post. :)

Well car is slowly coming back from the dead. Got rear wheel fixed now as well. :) Doing oil and filter change next week. And checking cooling. :)
All good, thanks again guys.

Oh, and Jon K, I didn't have a gauge to test it. :(