PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressor & Tool Recommendations

Evan
04-13-2006, 09:27 PM
What kind of air compressor and tools should I buy to work on my E34?

I looked at Home Depot today and saw a few different models of compressor... how much HP/CFM/PSI do I need?

What kind of tools should I buy to go with it and can I use my Craftsmen sockets and extensions on my new air gun?

Cheers,
Evan

joshua43214
04-14-2006, 07:57 AM
If your only spinning some nuts with it, get a little pancake compressor, the air tools will have the required cfm/pressure on the instructions. Air tools are meant to use impact sockets(this includes air ratchets). Impact sockets are softer so they save wear on the air tool and don't crack under use. Impact guns have a ring retainer instead of a ball retainer, using crome sockets will damage the ring retainer. Air ratchets have ball retainers so you can use the crome sockets, but it will eventualy wear out the nose on the ratchet.

Craftsmen should be fine for an air ratchet unless you have a good one from snapon or mac. Expect broken sockets from time to time with an impact.

Evan
04-14-2006, 03:26 PM
Thanks, Joshua. I bought an electric impact and I'm going to try it out and see if it has enough balls. If not, I'll mmove up to air.

Cheers,
Evan

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-14-2006, 03:38 PM
Is best for taking apart the car. Don't put it back together with pnuematics...it's real easy to cross thread, over torque or snap something. need the human touch there.

The Air wrenchs are cool and fast for quick strip down, but sometimes I find them too big to get into all the spaces.

The most valuable pneumatic tool, would be a 1/2 or 3/4 dual hammer impact gun and sockets, Saving hours of sweating, swearing and busting stuff...well worth the $$$.

If you plan to get into painting, get the biggest compressor you can handle.

joshua43214
04-14-2006, 03:49 PM
LOL, I think you mean 1/2 or 3/8. I worked in a shop that had a fire truck repair shop down the alley, they had a 3/4 impact gun, the thing weighed about 30 pounds and had 2 big handles. The SnapON sockets they had for it cost a frightening amount of money even to me. They had a 130gallon compressor that could run it for about 20 seconds before it started to run slower, those things are for drilling rigs and locomotive engines. They used it on really stubborn bolts that they couldnt break free with a 6foot extension breaker bar. definately don't use air tools for assembly, it takes lots and lots of experience with them to do that.

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-14-2006, 04:00 PM
wasn't thinking about the big machine gun type 3/4 impact guns.

I was thinking about the 3/4 ones that looked more like a 1/2 drive on steroids. Used to use one on rotary mazda gland nuts 2 1/8 inch nut on with 300lbs.

1/2 inch is probably the best choice after hearing the crank nut stories, and frozen suspension bolt nightmares.

Oh, yeah...A couple other little gems that come in handy. Die cutter, this is so cool like a dremal tool but sounds like the Dentist's office, and so much more power. Air chisel with the right bits. Not just for cutting, find a set that has ball joint forks, punches, and of course blades.

Kalevera
04-14-2006, 04:02 PM
I use a 3/4 impact gun all the time. Only way to dismantle a large case LSD unit.

winfred
04-14-2006, 07:48 PM
hard to go wrong with ingersol rand on air tools, it depends on what you are going to do with it on compressor capacity, they usually have charts on the boxes of the air tools on how much compressor you need, waiting for a compressor to spool up sucks ass in a major way, sanding painting and grinding take major cfm, stuff like air ratchets come in a close 2nd and if you don't have a good sized tank to work from you need a serious pump, my home single stage twin cylinder 30 gallon whipps the ass of the 80 gallon twin stage two cylinder at work (had to use my comp as a back up a couple times) on keeping up after a die grinder, don't be taken in with absurdly high max psi ratings, like sears puts 175# a lot of their units now, anything over about 125# is just hard on your equipment 90-110 is a good range, i've been using chrome craftsman sockets with air tools for years (actually broken more of them with a breaker bar) including using 3/8 drive sockets on my hopped up 1/2 drive impact, it's not the best thing but it can be done and i do this for a living, generally i find if i split a socket right away it probably wasn't forged right and they swap em out anyway, i have some 3/8 craftsman deep that i use a impact on almost daily for the last 10 years

What kind of air compressor and tools should I buy to work on my E34?

I looked at Home Depot today and saw a few different models of compressor... how much HP/CFM/PSI do I need?

What kind of tools should I buy to go with it and can I use my Craftsmen sockets and extensions on my new air gun?

Cheers,
Evan

Derek A.
04-15-2006, 03:42 AM
1/4 air rachets are nice - and its a bit more difficult to screw stuff up.

SRR2
04-15-2006, 04:18 AM
Buy more compressor than you think you need. The $100 range 4-5 CFM @ 90 psi will come up short for many tasks, particularly cutting and grinding. Those tools take quite a bit of air. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably spend the bucks on a two-stage, belt drive, 230V, 4hp with minimum 30 gallon tank.

Harbor freight has a wide selection of compressors at aggressive prices. Another place that you should also check out is Tractor Supply. I was surprised to see genuine I-R compressor sets there for prices that were close, and in one or two cases, lower than HF. I was kicking myself last time I went into TS because they had a closeout on an I-R much like I mentioned above for $200. Only one available, and it was the floor model, but for that price.... jeez.

Tiger
04-15-2006, 05:41 AM
Sears Craftman, Home Depot Husky, Lowes Kobalt, Coleman... all made by Campbell Hausfield. So it is just the matter of oil or oilless... both is good... oil is much more durable but heavy... oilless is light and maintenance free. Just get the oilless with extended warranty if cheap enough... to say like 5 years... otherwise, just replace it with another one when it craps out down the road. I think the latter route is the one I would go with. I probably would buy oilless one since I hate lugging heavy ass compressors.

3 or 4 gallon is the minimum I would go with... Buy when on-sale... super deals with Sears compressor... like $99 for oilless one when it is normally like $150 or so.

Tools... there are lots of brand name.,.. good one consume less air and give you more torque. Cost $$$.. but if you are not going to use that often... just go cheap on a set of assorted tools... when you find that you need something better like impact wrench... then buy one good impact wrench.

Sockets... do not use standard socket with impact guns... but okay for others low torque tools. Again... cheap set of imported impact socket is all you need. Maybe you might splurge for good socket for taking wheels off... plastic coated... Harbor Freight or ebay is the way to go here... watch out for shipping cost on ebay.