PDA

View Full Version : 90 m20 with 200k or 95 530 nikasil w/ 130?(long)

50 fiver
03-22-2004, 08:49 PM
I need some advice from you guys, my father has just bought a 98 740il and the dealer was only going to give him $4k for his 95 530 touring. He has only owned it for 2 years and has put around $3k in it, new shocks, thrust/control arms and new michelins. It was a california car and has been on the east coast for a few years. My dad has had most of the major service performed by bmw, they have performed two leakdowns and it seems to be holding well. He always runs premium at 1.80 gal. My father is going to give the car to me to sell/keep, whichever I prefer to do. I own a 90 525ia with 203k. The car is in good shape but paint bad. I run regular unleaded in the thing all the time and drive the piss out of it ocassionaly it always runs strong. I have about 3k in mods to my 90. The wide grill is certainly the nicer of the two, but, my narrow grill drives better. Which one would you keep or get rid of? Dad only asks for 1/2 the profit for whichever I sell. Oh what to do?

TheGeak
03-22-2004, 09:54 PM
Keep them both, give dad $2k. :-D

mholbrook
03-22-2004, 10:26 PM
The 90 has the M20 motor and it is getting pretty long in tooth (old). I have in my hand the rod bearings from an M20 with about the same mileage and they are beginning to wear on all 6 cyls. The mains are ok. If you are going to keep the 90, this is something to conside. The 530 is a great car and since it passes leak down and has about 80k less miles, I would not hesitate to keep the 530 and sell the 90. What mods do you have that you can transfer to the 530? The v8 has a lot of power and torque, responds very well to chipping and all other e34 mods. M5 sway bar and 20mm rear bar (if it does not already have the 20mm rear bar) would make a great difference. I have owned a 530i and it was a great car. I now have a 535i with manual and love this one just as much. But there is no substitute for the power of the v8.

Just my .02.

Mike Holbrook

50 fiver
03-23-2004, 08:18 AM
Nikasil wouldn't scare you? Even though bmw has never told dad that it is a nikasil motor, they were aware of the leakdown tests. I have read about the nikasil, and if they are going to go bad, it is usually before this mileage. Also, it has "washed out once" I have never heard of this happening before, but it did happen once that required bmw service to get running again.

632 Regal
03-23-2004, 09:38 AM
the chances of it failing now, especially when running premium is slim to none. There are a lot of people on this board with Nikasil blocks that dont scare. What I wonder is if there is anyone out here that actually did have a Nikasil engine fail, not here say or know someone but actually had it fail on them. Maybe it's just an urban legend. How did that engine wash out? was there some contributing problem that caused it to flood out?

50 fiver
03-23-2004, 10:00 AM
All I know is that my dad went out to start it, it fired, then cut off, and never could get it started again. Had it towed to shop and dried out. No problem since. I told him to get another leakdown test. It passed again. I guess I shouldn't worry too much about it, but my m20 is still running strong with just a little smoke between 5-6k before it shifts. It also drives better since it is a sedan and not a touring. I love my narrow grill, I guess I am just a little apprehensive about giving it up, but at least it is to another e34.

632 Regal
03-23-2004, 10:09 AM
sell dads ride, split the cash, sell yours and upgrade to a different E-34? Might be a good plan cause you know you will get much more than 4K for it.

LMC
03-23-2004, 10:17 AM
Whatīs up guys
Question: When you press to open driver door on a 535i, interior lights turn on, but they donīt on my newer 525i.
Any suggestion for this improvement?

632 Regal
03-23-2004, 10:25 AM
Whatīs up guys
Question: When you press to open driver door on a 535i, interior lights turn on, but they donīt on my newer 525i.
Any suggestion for this improvement?

50 fiver
03-23-2004, 10:30 AM
I can't answer that one, I have only driven two 5's mine and my dad's. Not sure how his work on his touring, maybe the switch stuck? Could be bad switch in the handle? Mine always turn on when I grab the handle. Mine did get out of synch a while back, but it corrected itself. That sucked not being able to get into the drivers door without using the emergency open thing.

Springfield1952
03-23-2004, 11:32 AM
I have a '94 530iT that I have owned for 3 years. Personally, I love it - it's distinctive, practical and still a blast to drive. As for the Nikasil, my recollection is that the sulfur in the fuel on the west coast is much lower than on the east coast and Nikasil blocks did not fail on the west coast as much as on the east. So if it started out in California, that may explain this particuilar car's longevity. Good luck.

Curt.
1994 530iT

50 fiver
03-23-2004, 12:21 PM
Curt, has your motor been replaced? If not how many miles? Any problems with anything else? The power steering pump seems to be leaking as well, I think this is common with these models. Also, cruise doesn't work, gotta have that fixed, but not sure where to start. Maybe module or something, he had dealer look at it I think they quoted him $800. or something like that.

Springfield1952
03-23-2004, 05:31 PM
Actually the block in my car has been replaced twice - first with another Nikasil and then with an Alusil. The car was originally bought in Reading, PA and the block was changed at 15,765 miles in March, 1996 when it failed a leakdown test. At that time, BMW did not know the cause for the failures and/or they did not have Alusil blocks in the parts pipeline so another Nikasil block was put in. In Feb, 2001 at 56,932 miles the engine again failed a leakdown test and the block was replaced a second time though now with a Alusil block at a dealer in Ohio. I bought the car from the owner off the Ohio lot and it was shipped to me in California with 9 miles on the engine.

Other things have been the radiator upper neck failed (not unusual for all e34's) and the wiring to the tailgate as well as the struts for the tailgate are pretty shot (not unusual for tourings). I have new struts for the glass and regular tailgate that I have not installed and the wiring has been patched together. I have not had any problem with the dual sunroofs (knock on wood).

Curt.

Bill R.
03-23-2004, 05:33 PM
Actually the block in my car has been replaced twice - first with another Nikasil and then with an Alusil. The car was originally bought in Reading, PA and the block was changed at 15,765 miles in March, 1996 when it failed a leakdown test. At that time, BMW did not know the cause for the failures and/or they did not have Alusil blocks in the parts pipeline so another Nikasil block was put in. In Feb, 2001 at 56,932 miles the engine again failed a leakdown test and the block was replaced a second time though now with a Alusil block at a dealer in Ohio. I bought the car from the owner off the Ohio lot and it was shipped to me in California with 9 miles on the engine.

Other things have been the radiator upper neck failed (not unusual for all e34's) and the wiring to the tailgate as well as the struts for the tailgate are pretty shot (not unusual for tourings). I have new struts for the glass and regular tailgate that I have not installed and the wiring has been patched together. I have not had any problem with the dual sunroofs (knock on wood).

Curt.

shragon
03-23-2004, 05:37 PM
What I wonder is if there is anyone out here that actually did have a Nikasil engine fail, not here say or know someone but actually had it fail on them. Maybe it's just an urban legend.

definitely not an urban legend. i know of several people with failed blocks.

but i agree with curt, california cars do have it better due to the lower sulfur content in gas.

Tiger
03-23-2004, 06:44 PM
I want to smack that dealer's head... that car is worth $7900 wholesale... the price they usually pay for... Private party sells for $9000. I would keep that car (530i)... it got good fuel mileage... same as yours... check at fueleconomy.gov.

It boils my blood to see dealer making out like a bandit... they are a thief!

50 fiver
03-23-2004, 08:04 PM
Yeah, he got the e38 for 22k and they were only going to give him 4k on a trade. Maybe they knew about the nikasil but just wouldn't admit it.

Patrick
03-23-2004, 08:12 PM
And only one of those (mine, on my 740i)) was done under warranty by BMW. The rest were on E34's and the owner's sucked it up -it was no urban legend.

632 Regal
03-23-2004, 08:32 PM
unless its having problems that probably originated a long time ago. All the sulpher levels are down significantly now compared to the mid 90's. I think that if a manufacurer started today making Nikasil engines they wouldnt have any problems.

Duey, your turn to confuse me here and try to educate some folks.

Tiger
03-23-2004, 09:16 PM
They are using it as an excuse... they really want more money in their pocket... thinking your pop a poor sap who don't know how to sell car/don't want to deal with it...

My car got Nikasil too... I am not even worried at all. Purrs like a kitten.

Bill H.
03-24-2004, 12:01 PM
quite the comeback...even Jaguar wagons coming! I have a 94 530iA with 127k nik miles that is one of the sweetest running 183 cubic inch motors you will ever find. I also have a 92 525iTa...IF I could only get the V8 in the Wagon...I'd sell all the rest for parts!

ps for Bill R.~yep, I'm still up that river, DaNile! :p

LMC
03-25-2004, 11:31 AM
No. I guess itīs stock but also that you can get tht improvement by doing something on lights switch.

Warren N.CA
03-25-2004, 11:51 AM
Find out what it's like to DRIVE, instead of being a passenger with a steering wheel!

632 Regal
03-25-2004, 02:21 PM
Find out what it's like to DRIVE, instead of being a passenger with a steering wheel!

Rick
03-25-2004, 09:39 PM
I know two person with Nikasil engine problem. One is 1994 BMW 740iL with 88k miles (Chicago area). Second is 1998 Jaguar XJ8 with only 44k miles (Chicago area). Jaguar's engine was covered by Jaguar Select Edition Warranty (100k miles). However, BMW was not since the warranty ran out. He never repaired it and sold the car with bad engine.

the chances of it failing now, especially when running premium is slim to none. There are a lot of people on this board with Nikasil blocks that dont scare. What I wonder is if there is anyone out here that actually did have a Nikasil engine fail, not here say or know someone but actually had it fail on them. Maybe it's just an urban legend. How did that engine wash out? was there some contributing problem that caused it to flood out?

DueyT
03-26-2004, 08:56 PM
unless its having problems that probably originated a long time ago. All the sulpher levels are down significantly now compared to the mid 90's. I think that if a manufacurer started today making Nikasil engines they wouldnt have any problems.

Duey, your turn to confuse me here and try to educate some folks.
Sorry for not cutting in earlier, Jeff, I was out of town...

I'm quite happy with my beast, having passed a leakdown with good numbers 6,6,6,6,6,7,6,6% and my feeding it Ultramar Premium with no more than 120ppm Sulphur.

Talking with the most respected indy in town, he had only "heard" of BMW Nik problems, not seen one himself. On the other hand, he has actually replaced several Merc 450SL blocks (he showed me pictures of one the owner now uses for wine storage, a bit more $$$ than IKEA:D ) and a couple of Jags.

Folks can say what they like, but people can screw up a car more by failing to service it properly, or feed it crap fluids (gas, oil, coolant, lube, etc...).

Jeff, I wouldn't be losing sleep over it...you take care of the beast. I get a good night's sleep every night...stometimes I even have nice dreams about getting some Schrick cams and improving on the already 300+ hp my Nikky M60 makes! :D :D :D

Cheers,
Duey

632 Regal
03-26-2004, 09:08 PM
Sorry for not cutting in earlier, Jeff, I was out of town...

I'm quite happy with my beast, having passed a leakdown with good numbers 6,6,6,6,6,7,6,6% and my feeding it Ultramar Premium with no more than 120ppm Sulphur.

Talking with the most respected indy in town, he had only "heard" of BMW Nik problems, not seen one himself. On the other hand, he has actually replaced several Merc 450SL blocks (he showed me pictures of one the owner now uses for wine storage, a bit more $$$ than IKEA:D ) and a couple of Jags.

Folks can say what they like, but people can screw up a car more by failing to service it properly, or feed it crap fluids (gas, oil, coolant, lube, etc...).

Jeff, I wouldn't be losing sleep over it...you take care of the beast. I get a good night's sleep every night...stometimes I even have nice dreams about getting some Schrick cams and improving on the already 300+ hp my Nikky M60 makes! :D :D :D

Cheers,
Duey