PDA

View Full Version : Hood ajustment

WILLIETOPZ
04-13-2006, 02:05 PM
I replaced the hood struts on my 1989 535i and now the hood dose not sit correctly.I raised the rear (closest to the cab) to try to lower the front.Can anyone help?

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-13-2006, 02:39 PM
The rear latches on the hood can slide forwards and back, changing the distance at which the rear is drawn down as you close the hood. The catches on the body that the latches slide into can be adjusted up an down to further the adjustment of the hood rear height.

The front catch on the drivers side holds the front down and can be adjusted to raise and lower the front, adjustments for the front catch need to follow up with corresponding adjustments of the two rubber snubs at each front corner to keep everything tight.

Good luck

New Owner 95 E34
09-25-2006, 09:21 PM
Thaks Blitz. Bob!

I was about to post a NEW THREAD asking how to cure the unusually large gap between my grill assembly and my hood, but as a good NIT (Noobie In Training), I ran a search and found this thread. With a few twists of a wrench, and a slight adjustment of my rubber snubs, my front end looks a WHOLE lot tighter!

Although, I'm seeing that the adjustment of a closed hood could be an art unto itself- any adjustment made at one point (rear latches, front latch, or snubs), may require an adjustment at all four other points to keep the thing sitting flush/level!

It may not be perfect, but at least I'm on the right track! Muchas Gracias!

Blitzkrieg Bob
09-25-2006, 09:28 PM
yes, it is an art best suited for beer consumption and patience

New Owner 95 E34
09-25-2006, 09:34 PM
yes, it is an art best suited for beer consumption and patience

Amen, brotha!