PDA

View Full Version : timing chain cover

jjdickm
04-13-2006, 06:05 AM
I have a engine out of a 1985 745i I am starting the rebuild and have no Idea how to get that puller that comes off the crank so I can remove the lower timing chain cover. it is exactly like the one you would find on a 535i.

Kalevera
04-13-2006, 08:39 AM
36mm socket on a 3/4" impact. Find some way to hold the crank, either at the vibration dampener or at the flex plate. I've used the factory tool, a drift will also do the trick. Then walk the hub off -- it's keyed on the crank, and the woodruff can sometimes jam up.

By the way, saw you won those JE pistons -- are they going into the M106? I was going to buy them for that purpose, but decided the lower compression stocks would be better in the long run.

best, whit

jjdickm
04-13-2006, 03:00 PM
yeah they are going into that motor I am doing a complete overhall. Was going to use a lower compression because of the ease of tuning but I chose a tougher path but it will be worth it to see the look on some corvette owners face when the get killed by a "old bmw". I am going to use head studs to put more pressure on the gasket allowing me to run a decent amount of boost and a good amount of compression, thats why I went for the forged pistons. I am also using 46lb injectors and I will be upgrading the turbo to a garret gt42r turbo. I will also be having a 3.5 in exhaust run all the way bay plus a new custom manifold. I know some really good welders that work for beer. but for now im getting it built and am using the stock manifold and the kkk27 turbo but I am upgrading the blow off. are you currently building?

Kalevera
04-13-2006, 03:23 PM
Sounds like a fun project. The corvettes will get killed, anyway, if the thing is built right. It sounds like this is becoming an expensive motor. Who's fabbing the manifold and how are they doing it?

Nope, I haven't started it yet. Bought the car a few weeks ago and haven't gotten around to dismantling it due to other stuff.

best, whit